Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
F350 Exhaust Filter Problem

Hey Gang
I've got a 2015 F350 with 6.7 diesel. 40,000 miles. Pull 2011 3000RK
On our recent trip from Idaho to Arizona we drove 200 miles and stopped for a stretch. Went another 192 miles and filled with fuel and def. After an additional 72 miles (464 miles from home) the "Entering low power mode" notice came up and we made it to a wide spot at 15 mph and pulled over. Shut truck off for 10 minutes. Re-started and the next message was "drive to clean exhaust filter." Normal driving again.
Stopped for the night after a total of 530 miles.
Next day drove 80 miles and filled with fuel and topped off def tank.
Drove 122 miles and truck went into "low power mode again. Pulled over, stretched, and resumed to same message " drive to clean exhaust filter". Normal driving (I never exceed 65 mph). After 66 miles the cleaning exhaust filter notice came on. Normal driving and arrived at our winter home after 925 miles.
This summer I drove approximately 2500 miles to New Mexico and back without trailer and never an issue. Ford dealer here in Phoenix is worthless.
Driving 15 mph on a crowded road with no where to pull off is not much fun. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug & Kathy

Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would expect any good dealer to review the computer for fault codes, etc to see what was going on. I found your comments about topping up the def to be interesting. I carry def, but only add when it gives me the message that i have less than 1/2 tank of def. I never use def at the pumps anywhere. Good luck with your issue.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
...I carry def, but only add when it gives me the message that i have less than 1/2 tank of def. I never use def at the pumps anywhere. Good luck with your issue.
This comment peaked my interest.

We have had one diesel that required DEF, BUT it was never filled between visits to the dealer. The tank was big enough that it got filled with the oil was changed, so I never had to add DEF.

We are now going to get a new truck, and it will obviously require DEF, and I'm assuming that I'll need to put it myself at times.

Why don't you buy DEF at the pumps? Seems like an awfully convenient way to fill up, but again, I've never had to do it, so I don't know for sure...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My headset has been that buying def in one gal or 2.5 gal containers gives me a known quality product and is more convenient than adding some quantity of an unknown quality at a truck stop or station that had a def pump. I certainly don't want to go into limp mode and need to purge the def tank, etc because of putting in def that is of unknown quality while towing the trailer.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Is there such a thing as bad DEF, provided it is not outta date?

I would think that they use it faster than I would, but that may not be true...
Old 12-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
For the error codes, do yourself a favor and purchase a $20 bluetooth OBDII module from Amazon and download the free mobile version of ForScan. It can run diagnostics and show the actual error codes. If you get in a pinch, you can clear the codes on the road and sometimes get the emissions faults to clear (not always).

Our local Maveriks has DEF at the pump built into the truck islands. They are new pumps. I find it way easier to use the pump than the jugs. There are trucks refilling there all the time both DEF and fuel.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
My previous truck went into limp mode twice, but it was related to fuel pressure both times. If you continue to have regen problems your dealer can enable "operator commanded regens" (TSB 14-0171). You can then force it to regen if necessary.

I find it difficult to believe that all the Ford dealers in Phoenix are worthless. Perhaps someone from the area can direct you to a good shop.

When possible, I buy all my DEF at the pump; after several power strokes, no issues.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
Hey Gang
I've got a 2015 F350 with 6.7 diesel. 40,000 miles. Pull 2011 3000RK
On our recent trip from Idaho to Arizona we drove 200 miles and stopped for a stretch. Went another 192 miles and filled with fuel and def. After an additional 72 miles (464 miles from home) the "Entering low power mode" notice came up and we made it to a wide spot at 15 mph and pulled over. Shut truck off for 10 minutes. Re-started and the next message was "drive to clean exhaust filter." Normal driving again.
Stopped for the night after a total of 530 miles.
Next day drove 80 miles and filled with fuel and topped off def tank.
Drove 122 miles and truck went into "low power mode again. Pulled over, stretched, and resumed to same message " drive to clean exhaust filter". Normal driving (I never exceed 65 mph). After 66 miles the cleaning exhaust filter notice came on. Normal driving and arrived at our winter home after 925 miles.

This summer I drove approximately 2500 miles to New Mexico and back without trailer and never an issue. Ford dealer here in Phoenix is worthless.
Driving 15 mph on a crowded road with no where to pull off is not much fun. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug & Kathy
Dont add DEF till the truck tells you. You have 500 till limp mode. There are so many sensors and computers that you may be fooling the sensors. Just because DEF is at the pump doesn't mean the truck needs it. I used to worry about it but just let the truck do it's thing. Ad far as limp mode that sucks for sure. When it says to drive to clean the filter don't baby it. I hit 80 and let her clean the filter. I use Cetane in my fuel. M22 at the dealer. Cuts down on regens. OI have not seen many drive to clean messages in my truck.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Subject changed into discussion on DEF fluid, but I about your issue; I have a 2015 and I had a similar problem.

I drove 2200 miles to key west...with trailer....and 10 days of driving around key west without the trailer I end up with 'over limit on filter, get service.' $200 later. darn, this is the exact thing that happened the year before.

As for you issue, it is more than low def fluid, it is probably a sensor. And your truck tells you when to put def in when it is down to 500 miles so I don't typically add any.

Once you get the 'service' icon you can't just drive it away, it has to go into service to be cleaned.

I hate this 2015 ford system.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Exhaust Gas Filter and the DEF systems are independent of one another.

When the Exhaust Gas Particulate Filter fills up, the "Regeneration" cleaning process kicks in. This consists of dumping fuel into the exhaust to heat the filter and burn off the particulates. This process needs to run to completion (around 20 mins at 35 MPH or better).

When towing, the process has a good chance of not even occurring as the Filter is hot enough to burn the particulates without additional fuel.

But as a daily driver, it is very common to take short trips which doesn't allow the system to get to operating temperature and stay there long enough to finish the cleaning. Then the next time you use the truck, it still needs to be cleaning and the same inhibitors occur. Do this enough times and the software throws up its hands and gives you the "Service" message.

The solution is to drive the truck for 20-30 minutes at freeway speeds once you see the "Cleaning" message.

There is a software hack on your 2015/2016 Ford that adds a display of how full the Exhaust Filter is. It is turned on by the mechanic or you can do it with some special software available on the Ford forums. The 2017's and up have this display already AFAIK.

The DEF system is much simpler in design. It trickles Urea into the system proportional to the amount of fuel being consumed. It really doesn't matter when you fill the tank. As long as there is sufficient Urea, the system is happy. My personal choice is to add when the level gets below 1/2 full.

Here is a You Tube video on "" which explain a lot.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
DEF Fluid

Thanks, Carl and Susan, for posting the You Tube link on DEF fluid. It answered several question I had on it.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Another tip...I found that regens complete faster if you keep the engine RPMs above 2500 during the cleaning.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #13
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Subject changed into discussion on DEF fluid, but I about your issue; ...
Sorry, that was my fault...
Old 12-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Another tip...I found that regens complete faster if you keep the engine RPMs above 2500 during the cleaning.
How long does the typcial regen take?

When we had our VW SUV, I never could tell when it was regenning...
Old 12-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #15
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Thanks, Carl and Susan, for posting the You Tube link on DEF fluid. It answered several question I had on it.
Yes, thanks for the video!

I was almost a math major during college, and after watching that video, I've decided that I'm ALWAYS buying DEF at the pump, and rolling the dice.

Man, that's a lot to remember... WOW...
Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
How long does the typical regen take?

When we had our VW SUV, I never could tell when it was regenning...

10-15minutes at highway speeds. If I keep it in 6th, it's around 20minutes. My truck flashes it up on the screen for a few to notify. I don't know if the newer ones do. I just watch the DPF screen drop to 0% then I know it's about finished. If you're at a stop light, you can feel it in the brake pedal if you let off a little. It pulsates a little.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
10-15minutes at highway speeds. If I keep it in 6th, it's around 20minutes. My truck flashes it up on the screen for a few to notify. I don't know if the newer ones do. I just watch the DPF screen drop to 0% then I know it's about finished. If you're at a stop light, you can feel it in the brake pedal if you let off a little. It pulsates a little.
Cool. Like I said, the VW that we had never exhibited any signs, warnings, or indicators that it was doing it, or about to do it...
Old 12-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #18
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Yes, thanks for the video!

I was almost a math major during college, and after watching that video, I've decided that I'm ALWAYS buying DEF at the pump, and rolling the dice.

Man, that's a lot to remember... WOW...
You don't use that much DEF to keep buying at the pump. a full tank will last for months not days. If I fill mine when the message says tank below 1/2 tank it wont taker a full box. So then you have DEF you cant use. Not to mention how dirty those def nozzles are at the pump. You need to get the nozzle from Ford for the DEF. It locks in the hole and stops when the tank is full. The ones in the box are junk and you will get DEF all over the place. I don't commute , I also avoid short trips if possible to avoid needing constant regens.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
You don't use that much DEF to keep buying at the pump. a full tank will last for months not days. If I fill mine when the message says tank below 1/2 tank it wont taker a full box. So then you have DEF you cant use. Not to mention how dirty those def nozzles are at the pump. You need to get the nozzle from Ford for the DEF. It locks in the hole and stops when the tank is full. The ones in the box are junk and you will get DEF all over the place. I don't commute , I also avoid short trips if possible to avoid needing constant regens.
So, the only experience that I have with this was in our VW. The fill in that thing was terrible, and I only had to do it once (dealer did it the other times at oil changes), and what happens is that you end up with DEF spilling out. It was actually INSIDE the SUV where filled, and you had to take out the spare, etc... That stuff is caustic, and then it starts to eat at paint and whatever.

The jugs do need a better delivery mechanism, if I'm going to use the jug. I guess that's what's appealing about the pump option. That's a durable fill mechanism. And I realize that my past experiences are not comparing apples to apples.

We will be learning about all of this soon, as a DEF truck is in our near future, so I'm sure that I get proficient at it.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Ford DEF Spout is the hot ticket. Far superior to the crap included with boxed DEF.

Here is one place to get it.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NO.../dp/B008B5WVF8

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote