Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #61
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
May I suggest Face time or both using Bluetooth earbud. When my wife and I went for the first time we didn’t even know how to dump the tanks, thank you YouTube ! Good luck.

Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #62
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
I hitched our TT's and now our Monty by myself. I find it easier and less distraction then trying to look at the wife and listen to her on a the phone. I first get in front of the rig, make sure I can see down both sides of it with my mirrors, make sure I'm straight, and then slowly proceed to back up to it. I get out and look (G.O.A.L), and lined up with the kingpin. If I'm not sure, or something doesn't look right, get out and maybe readjust if needed. After a few times, he'll be hooking up by himself in no time. Happy camping!!
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #63
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
This thread is so funny. Everyone has a different opinion about this. 4 pages on weather or not to help your husband or not. What does he say is the question I have LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #64
Mike_Garcia
Established Member

M.O.C. #13381
Send a message via MSN to Mike_Garcia
I'll add my 2 cents to this also. Maybe this has happened to others, I wouldn't mind knowing, but while hooking up once in AZ, I did as always backed into the jaws and it went clunk. The handle closed as usual, I put in the safety pin (B&W Companion) and got everything all ready to go. Wife, check, dog, check, walk around to check all slides and jacks were fully retracted and in, check. In the truck, put it in gear, give it a little gas and KLUNK, WHAT THE HELL!!! The pin was OUTSIDE the jaws. Tailgate trashed, fiver sitting on the bed rails, and half of the park standing around. OH, the embarrassment and shame! Long story short, made it home ok and a little over $1700.00 later (new tailgate) I learned to VISUALLY check every time that the pin is truly locked in place. I think when I backed in, the alignment wasn't quite straight on and I hit one side of the jaws and caused it to close correctly, but fooled me. We all learn lessons the hard way sometimes.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #65
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Always check twice and trust those "little feelings" that you get. Back when I drove a semi, I was dropping a trailer off. I got out, disconnected the fifth wheel pin, disconnected the electric and glad hands, got in and was starting to pull out from under the trailer, when I thought, "Are you sure you lowered the landing gear on the trailer?" Got out, looked, and sure enough, I hadn't! That was a close one!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #66
Ssuesi
Established Member

M.O.C. #19072
Unsure how to help my husband hitch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Garcia View Post
I'll add my 2 cents to this also. Maybe this has happened to others, I wouldn't mind knowing, but while hooking up once in AZ, I did as always backed into the jaws and it went clunk. The handle closed as usual, I put in the safety pin (B&W Companion) and got everything all ready to go. Wife, check, dog, check, walk around to check all slides and jacks were fully retracted and in, check. In the truck, put it in gear, give it a little gas and KLUNK, WHAT THE HELL!!! The pin was OUTSIDE the jaws. Tailgate trashed, fiver sitting on the bed rails, and half of the park standing around. OH, the embarrassment and shame! Long story short, made it home ok and a little over $1700.00 later (new tailgate) I learned to VISUALLY check every time that the pin is truly locked in place. I think when I backed in, the alignment wasn't quite straight on and I hit one side of the jaws and caused it to close correctly, but fooled me. We all learn lessons the hard way sometimes.
That happened to us once. Cost $8k for repairs! We painted our jaws bright yellow and always use a flash light now to see if the jaws close, even if the handle goes down.
Ssuesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #67
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Ditto on painting the jaws so it easy to see if it has closed COMPLETELY.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It happens.In our case whoever is backing into the jaws, usually the wife, one of us is actually looking at the the hitch to visually observe the pin is locked into the jaws.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #69
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
Hi everyone who responded to my question about hooking up the 5th wheel. I am amazed at all the responses with helpful hints. This has really helped me. We take our first long trip tomorrow. I feel better able to assist him if needed.
Thank you everyone for the advice. This is wonderful forum and the wealth of information is unbelievable. Hope to meet some of you on the road. Thanks again. Terri
piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #70
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Garcia View Post
Caught a similar issue before catastrophe, so know it can happen. Similar situation with a Curt hitch. Pin wasn't low enough because we were hitching with the truck on a decline and hitch lowered a couple inches just backing up the last couple feet after I thought I had it perfect. Everything clicked, but it just didn't quite latch in. The bottom of the pin was in the jaws and not below the jaws. The Curt system is pretty fool proof if you check it close. But if I would have been in a hurry or didn't have that, "this didn't sound right" feeling, I could have easily missed it.

I had another camper tell me he got a hundred feet down the driveway one time when it fell apart on him.

We've learned to keep in mind whether we're hooking up level or not and make darn sure the hitch pin is slightly lower than you think it should be. We check the jaws and pin and we always do a slow/short test pull with the trailer brakes engaged.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:19 AM   #71
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
My story is opposite from everyone else. Our maiden trip to a local campground; landing gear down, raised the monty just a bit off the truck. Hitch jaws wouldn't release the king pin. lowered & raised the monty, pulling & backing the truck. I thought the front landing jacks were going to bend. We decided to drive 2 hrs back to Camping World. We were afraid maybe the Monty would come loose during our drive back. CW tech sprayed lubricant on the jaws, working perfect. embarrassing situation, but a learning experience. Simple fix that newbies like us didn't know. We now spray the heck out of the hitch, catch plate, king pin, etc.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote