Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
First winterizing

I winterized the Monty the other day. If this is like last year, I will decide to head south for a trip, run the anti-freeze out and go. Then re-winterize it for some more of the winter. Since we finally made our first long trip in it a couple of months ago, we feel empowered enough to maybe do more winter camping than last year.

Have any of you winterized your Montanas more than once in a winter? If so, how many times? How do you minimize the need to winterize, or is that even possible short of spending the winter in Mexico every year?

doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Doofus,
We fully winterize at least twice a year and depending on teh weather after Easter (usually our first trip out) we have winterized three times. I do not take any shortcuts in that I fully winterize (three gallons of pink stuff needed) each and every time. My peace of mind is by far worth the ten dollars in cost for the antifreeze each time.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You minimize the need to winterize by building a barn to put the Monty in. It works for me.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Bingo, my post was really more directed at finding out how much winter travel other members do. I guess it did have sort of a whiny tint to it, but that wasn't intentional. I just talk that way... :-)

I got good at filling & flushing antifreeze last year. I did some other stuff last year because I had a water filtering system that was installed by the previous owner. But I removed it since I'm pretty tolerant of water tastes. P.S. It was an incredible pain in the rear to remove it, too; I'd have loved to have watched him install it, since he's about six inches taller than I and must have been painfully contorted during the process. But no, no shortcuts and tempting freezing damage.

A barn sounds nice, Jim! I'd probably drive into a door, though...
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I winterize in the fall. We go the Florida Keys after Christmas. Coming home in early April, I usually have to winterize again.
Sometimes I camp in the late fall where it freezes and as long as I have the furnace on I don't re do the anti freeze.
If I am in doubt, I re do it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Add the pink stuff when you know the temps warrant it. When in doubt, ask Gloria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
This question is more about personal preference than any hard fast rules. We live in Northern NH and the winters can be cold and long. We often travel in the winter to warmer climates, so winterizing many times has been the norm for us for a long time.

About 6 years ago, I stopped using the pink stuff in the supply lines. I simply attach an air compressor to the city water intake and blow out the lines. After each water line is blowing air, I remove the drain from the water heater and open the low water drains. I leave all the fawcetts open and of course completely drain the holding tanks. Pour a few cups of the pink stuff down each drain and into the toilet. I never use the fresh water holding tank in the winter, so the lines and pump remain dry. Also I remove the outside shower to ensure no water is left in that line.

Never had any problems and the entire procedure takes maybe 10 minutes.

Just my 2cents...

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Doofus - I end up doing it about twice per winter here in NC. Just did it last week as we have freezing temps apporaching the next few days. I also know I won't get out in December. We'll get a weekend out in January and/or Feb as well, so that means one or two more times. It takes me exactly one gallon to get the pink stuff flowing through every faucet and the toilet and have enough left over to pour down each drain.

To me it's very little effort and we enjoy getting out in the winter when the campgrounds are empty and a roaring fire goes great with a hot chocolate (and a bit of 80 proof flavoring!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote