Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Tire Balance

Has anyone used this product for tire balance?

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In a word NO.

This product maybe fine for those "Mudders, Rock Crawlers and Oversize Tire Owners" as they are rarely ever driven on the hiways. Off road they are mostly driven at lower speeds and even at higher speeds you would hardly even notice an out of balance condition due to the rough conditions of the roads.
Quote:
quote:
Here's some of the advantages to Dyna Beads®

Increased tire life Any properly balanced tire/wheel assembly using the tried and true wheel weights will do that.
Eliminate tire vibration Any GOOD balance will do that.
Eliminate tire hoppingAny GOOD balance will do that.
Eliminate tire cupping Any GOOD balance will do that.
Eliminate "clumping" problems. "clumping??" Wheels weights don't clump
Totally Lead-Free product! What?? Are they going to eat the weights??
No weights to corrode or damage expensive rims. With today's weights corrosion is not an issue. When the proper weights are used there is no damage to expensive
No dusty, messy powders to deal with.Lost me on that one.
No re-balancing required. With the tire/wheel assembly properly balanced there is no re-balance problem. Even if the tire/wheel assembly is properly taken apart for a flat repair there is no re-balance required
Reusable Actually most wheel weights are reusable
No weights to fall off Again if properly installed they rarely fall off.
Saves you money by extending tire life! Any properly balanced tire/wheel assembly using the tried and true wheel weights will do that.
Saves you money by eliminating re-balancing! I think I already addressed that but I repeat---With the tire/wheel assembly properly balanced there is no re-balance problem. Even if the tire/wheel Assembly is properly taken apart for a flat repair there is no re-balance required

Properly balanced tires run cooler, place less stress on suspension components, and can even increase fuel mileage. Can't argue that fact.
Note the word "PROPERLY". I use that word to enforce the fact that the only "PROPERLY" balanced tire is one that is balanced by that "REPUTABLE TIRE DEALER". They even used the word "Properly" in their last statement. I wonder what their definition of Proberly is??

Over the many years that I spent in the tire business these so called "Innovative" products keep appearing and reappearing. Over those same years these "Innovative" products have been found to be the latest gimmick to come down the road. Ever since Al Gore invented the Internet there are many many new gimmicks coming out everyday and most are nothing more than gimmicks meant to take your hard earned bucks. These same beads are far from new. They made the rounds years ago even before the Internet and soon died off. Eventually, like many gimmicks, they tend to disappear for a few years and than jump up again.

Personally, I wouldn't use them if they gave them away for FREE but than again that's just my humble opinion.

BTW--That's "my humble opinion" garnered from many years in the tire business.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Get your tires balanced properly, all five of them. Even though the Missions are not great tires you can unnecessarily shorten their life costing more money than the balance job. I wonder how many trailer tires are ruined from improper balancing that otherwise may have had a reasonable life span.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well said.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My Mission's had problems as did a lot of them that no amount of balancing could have corrected. BUT you are 100% correct that a lot of tire problems are caused by no balancing or incorrect balancing.
Many people do not realized the punishment a tire takes traveling down the hiway with all things such as balance, inflation, shocks, bearings, etc being absolutely right on the money. Now have just one of those items bad or worn out and that creates a whole different set of parameters making the situation dangerous if not deadly when one of those tires fail.
On our trailers even the pressure monitors only help with one small aspect of the overall picture and that is a slow leaking tire. It does not warn you of an impending blow out. It does not warn you of vibration caused by a bad bearing or a lost wheel weight. It only warns you of a slow leaking tire. Oh sure it will tell you that you had a blow out but it won't stop you from loosing control due the the sudden loss of all the air. It won't stop the tire from shredding and tearing the trailer apart before you are able to make a controlled safe stop.
I know I am going to get some flack back from the folks that spent money on the pressure monitors but if you first sit down and seriously consider what I am saying you may reconsider the flack attack.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Vibration Sensor for the trailer.
Tattle-Trail a wireless and portable towing monitor system

Here's something I just discovered at an RV show this past weekend.
According to the info I received it accomplishes just what I was talking about in my previous reply.

I am not vouching in any way shape or form for this product but if it does what they say it does I would be most interested.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you decide to have the tires balanced, be SURE they use the lug-centric adapter. If they use a normal car tire method, meaning they tighten down on the center hole, assuming that centers the rim, you'll never get a good balance. In fact, they may tell you the tire and the rim are both so badly out of round they cannot be balanced (had that happen on our 2001 Montana). Or they'll put on loads of weights to "balance" the tire but are actually making the balance worse.

Trailer rims do NOT center on the hub using the rim's center hole. Thus, those holes are rarely exactly centered as they are on car / truck rims. To get a good balance job, they MUST use the lug-centric adapter, which centers the rim using the lug holes. I had two of ours balanced in New Mexico at an Expert Tire store. They knew exactly what I meant by lug-centric adapter. I had the other three balanced at a small tire store in Independence, MO. They had no idea what I meant but went looking and found they have an adapter. The guy told me they'd never used it and didn't know why it was needed. We have a good balance now on all five tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote