Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #21
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I have been following the Mission Tire epic for the last two years.

It seems like the tire problems are with the larger trailers with more weight. The shorter & lighter don't have the problems??

I might be wrong, but after reading all forums on the web, it looks that way to me.

Please correct me if this is false.

Thanks in advance

Roy

Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #22
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
Really need the phone # for Tireco if anyone has it. Once we get the fake palm trees and all the Jimmy Buffet CDs packed I know we will be heavy
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Listed on the home page, OEM page as:
Tires
Mission (Tireco Distributor)
800-227-8925
www.tireco.com
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #24
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
Bncinwv

Thanks for the Tireco phone # Butch
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #25
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We have an '07 3075 and the Mission tires failed at 10200 miles. The one that blew up did so on an interstate causing some damage to the underside. I had checked them two hours earlier as I was aware through the forum of the problems many were having with these bombs. The measured weight on the trailer axles and so on the tires was only 9800 lbs so they were certainly not overloaded! Tireco paid for four of them as I had to keep the spare to get home but did not cover the installation cost. I'm sure that if these tires were on passenger vehicles there would have been a recall long ago.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 AM   #26
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by berridge

We have an '07 3075 and the Mission tires failed at 10200 miles. The one that blew up did so on an interstate causing some damage to the underside. I had checked them two hours earlier as I was aware through the forum of the problems many were having with these bombs. The measured weight on the trailer axles and so on the tires was only 9800 lbs so they were certainly not overloaded! Tireco paid for four of them as I had to keep the spare to get home but did not cover the installation cost. I'm sure that if these tires were on passenger vehicles there would have been a recall long ago.
Sorry to hear about your tire problem. But, Im just stating the facts.
Last winter while we were in the south, I looked at 50 or more RV's with Mission tires. Some were 2006, & 2007. It surprised me on how many tires were still running with no problems. One person had over 20,000 miles on a 2006 Montana with Missions!
It seems we never hear of the good stories about tires...any brand.
I,m sure Mission tires are not the top or middle of the line. Just look at some of the components that are in our Montana's! Cheap stuff all over. Then look at the prices.

I'm surprised China hasn't figured out how to build 5th wheels!.
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Bncinwv-Thanks for the Tireco phone number- Philip

Well we had our turn with the Mission tires a week and a half ago.Got to the campground in Fancy Gap Va. Saturday 10/18/08 in the late afternoon and noticed the right rear was completely crowned about 2 inches higher than the tread surface all the way around.We're lucky it didn't blow on I 77 north.Put the new spare Mission on and located 2 replacement tires Monday am in Mt.Airy N.C.

Parrish Tire Co.is just over the Va.state line in Mt Airy N.C.,Parrish was fast and and does excellent work,their prices are very competitive and they have a large inventory such as Michelin and other high grade tires.I wasn't there 20 minutes.I bought 2 Triangle brand ST235/80R-16E tires.I wanted a loose extra spare just in case.Left Fancy Gap VA. for the Sylva/Whittier N.C. area Wednesday 10/22/08 late morning.About 125 miles into the trip I thought I could feel the trailer swaying a little and was I ever right,pulled into a rest stop on I 40 west about 40 miles outside of Ashville N.C for lunch and found the left rear about to blow.Dropped the left rear jack and started de-flating the tire,got my 20 ton hyd bottle jack out and made the switch in about 20 minutes.Torqued all lug nuts to 120 lbs and then had lunch.

We do have a spare tire but it's not mounted on a wheel!!! Finished the trip to Whittier N.C. at max speed 65mph.Get set up at Holly Cove campground and notice the left front is starting to bulge.Thursday am I went into Sylva N.C. and had the new loose spare mounted on the rim the 3rd bad Mission was on.Once again a fast turn around.The only remaining used Mission is on the right front and I have strong doubts it will make it back home to Jax Fl...So on our trips to the store/leaf looking and so on I stop in every tire shop we come across and no one has any tires my size except one place and they have only one tire.Its a Power King Tow Max.I said I'll take it and they mount it up quickly.I installed it the next morning and we now have 4 new tires on the ground and a suspicious Mission (right front) as a spare.

Our Missions had just over 7000 miles of careful use and constant pressure checks and still failed.We made it home safely Tuesday afternoon and had a great vacation as did the Collies even though we had tire problems.

We were blessed we didn't have a blowout or damage on the highway.Hind sight says I should have replaced all 4 with Michelins or Maxxis in Mt. Airy N.C.Four loose tires wouldn't have taken them 30 minutes.I always prefer to pull the tires off myself and take them to the dealer.The other hind sight says to shop around a little more back home.At any rate in future travels I'll have 2 extra mounted spares in the back of the truck in addition to the regular spare.You just never know when you may come across another camper who's stranded and needs a spare tire /wheel assy.

I looked at the Michelins today and the Maxxis Bravo Commercial LT235/85R 16 E rated/10 ply.Does anyone have this particular Maxxis on their trailer,looks like a really well built tire.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #28
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
The Nankang tires on our 3400rl were really wearing funny and the tread was rounding out like a bicycle tire so had them replace with Michelins here at Alamogordo NM yesterday. They didn't have the steel valve stems in stock so went back this morning to have them installed and they found one of the rims was cracked thru one of the spokes. Has anybody else had this problem and if so what was Keystone's solution?
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 AM   #29
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Contacted Tireco about reimbursement for my Missions. Terri told me that the claim had not been approved. The tests on the tires were conducted Thursday and the claims department was waiting for the report. For two of the tires there should be no question. One came apart and another had a large bubble. The other two were not given a good rating by the tech who inspected them when I had the tires changed. I will give them a couple more weeks then begin my crusade to get reimbursed. I know they will not give me the value of the replacement tires. So the wait begins.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #30
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We are about 800 miles into our trip to AZ. Half way there. Right outside Sacramento, CA. Left front tire is starting to show a little wear on the inside like the right front outside did. Watching it very closely. Hope we can make it to AZ. Ran into heavy, heavy winds today from the front left Quarter, felt like 40 MPH plus. Not good for mileage or the tires. Truck couldn't handle the load on flat ground in overdrive. Keeping a close watch and my fingers crossed.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #31
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Made it to AZ ok w/o any more tire failures. But the inside edge of the left front tire is now showing similar wear as the right fron did before I replaced it with the spare. Even though the Mission tires are failing prematurely I am beginning to wonder if my front alxe is out of alighment also, agravating and expediting the premature failures. Going to have the axles checked for alignment as soon as possible just to get that worry out of the picture too.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #32
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Closure to the Mission Tire Claim. Tireco settled my claim and reimbursed me for 4 Mission Tires.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #33
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And the spare is what brand?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #34
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
An update on my Mission tire replacement.Tireco is sending me 5 new replacement tires, probably the Freestar brand. Then I will be asked to return the 5 Missions to them free of charge. There will be an inspection by Tireco on the Missions but no possible financial responsibility liability for me. The replacement tires (Freestar's) will be warranted for 48 months for workmanship, blowouts, etc. Tireco also will be responsible for any additional damage done to the RV caused by a tire failure but the failed tire must be returned to get that authorization and payment.

I asked about what they would pay just for the fact that my Mission tires failed under the warranty period and they didn't really want to commit any numbers but a 100% value it would be about $80 to $100 per tire and then prorated based on wear. So probably at best I could get maybe $400 back. However, I have elected to take the Freestar replacement tires for a few of reasons: 1.) I just don't want to shell out a whole bunch of more money on new tires right now. 2.) They told me that Tireco is not experiencing a high failure rate on the Freestars like they have on the Missions. 3.) I can't believe that any company would send out replacement tires, warranty them for 48 months and be exposed to ancillary RV damage for 4 years knowing they have had or were going to have an unusual or excessive failure rate. and probably the most important 5.) I'm a gambler I guess.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #35
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
The spare is also a Firestone. I kept the Mission spare because they would probably question the fact that it was only on the road for 3.2 miles and I did not want a Freestar replacement.. I am just glad to have them take care of the four.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #36
Les Darlene
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7221
We have a 2007 3400RL I removed one of my Mission tires to have the stem replaced. The tire dealer (I have used them for the last 30 years) and he took one look at the tire as he rolled it into the shop. He refused to let me use the tire.* I replaced all 4 tires the next morning with Maxxis. Paperwork has been submitted and tires returned but have not heard from Tirco.
Les Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #37
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Five(5) new Freestar tires arrived here yesterday from Tireco for our late 2006 3400RL free of charge. Tires look pretty good. We were not home when they arrived. No note no nothing about returning the old Missions. Now I need to find tire shop to get the 5 tires swapped and balanced on the rims. I'll do the removal and mounting on the RV myself to avoid uprooting the RV from it's winter spot in the RV Resort. So far so good.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve and Brenda, best of luck with the Goodyear Marathons. My luck with them was all bad, on several rigs. Hopefully it was just me.

On the Missions, Tireco replaced two while we were in New Mexico. Later, a third went bad. I told the rep at Tireco I do not want to have two different brands on the same axle and that means I also don't want a spare that doesn't match the other tires. They sent me three new tires (to supplement the two they'd already sent) even though only one had gone bad and the spare had never been on the ground. No arguments at all. They paid for shipping the old tires, as well. I paid for mounting and balancing. I understand some have successfully lobbied for reimbursement but I didn't try.

Dean, I'd have to crawl under the rig to jog my memory but it seems to me I noticed the Freestar tires have a higher weight rating than did the Missions even though they're the same size and load range. I may be wrong but that sure seems to be what I remember.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #39
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Steve,

I believe you are right that the Freestar tires have a higher load range than the Missions did. As I recall they are both "E" rated but the weight rating on the Freestar tires was higher. I noticed that when I was doing the swap and intended to compare weight ratings on the tires and completely forgot. Now I don't have the missions any more and right now the 3400RL is 400 miles away.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jay Bird, you might consider contacting Tireco about your spare being replaced, as well. I just had them do that on mine. My spare was brand new. I told them I do not want two different brands on the same axle (can create alignment problems) and having to use the Mission spare on an axle with a Freestar on the other end would cause that problem. They gave me no argument whatsoever.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote