Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Electrical Issues

This morning we are experiencing some electrical problems. I had forgotton to turn on the water heater so I did so this am (not sure if this started the problem). Lights in the kitchen area are dim. Furnace stopped running. Refer stopped working. When I off the lights, the refer came on.
In other words, there is some a/c. I am on a 30a pole in the park. I just switched to a second 30a on the pole with no change.

Any other troubleshooting ideas while I'm waiting for the dealer?
Thanks

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Check the two 30A fuses in you 12V side of the Iota panel. Sounds like one has blown (red light should be on).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a similar situation recently and found the breaker for the dryer was popped. It was hard to tell. But I reset it and everything went to normal. I don't know why that breaker popped nor how it affected everything else. Just a longshot you might check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Or, the 110v breaker for your converter could have tripped. Refrigerator and furnace both need 12v to operate and if your converter is not providing 12v to your batteries and your batteries are low, then not enough power to operate the appliances along with your overhead 12v kitchen lights.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
I would check the converter breaker in the 110 Volt panel that is the results I experience when mine occasionally trips
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Thanks,
Checked the fuses in the panel, all ok, turned off dryer breaker. Back to no power, The dealer had me pop off a panel in the garage to access the inverter, street side, left. Popped panel and there was no converter. Dealer is convinced that trouble rests with 30a. He is bringing me a jumper box....we shall see. Sounds like a breaker on the converter but I can't find it.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our converter breaker has tripped offline several times the last month. We usually notice it by the dimming 12v lights. It usually takes an hour or so to notice but as the battery drains a bit things start to dim. Fridge will start to beep and have an error message when it gets too low. Not sure why it kicks off but it has... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Hi All,
Dealer just left with a jumper box and 50a extension cord. All works fine. The guy doing the walk through told us 30a was fine....NOT.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you are referring to the camp ground power pedestal, 30 amp is okay. We use 50 amp when available, but take 30 amp when that is all that is available.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Michael,
That's what I thought, I was plugged into a 30a breaker. The dealer came out with a jumper box, plugged it into both 30a breakers and everything worked ok. He said that I must have 50a service or use a jumper box. I read the thread that discussed these jumpers and the problems associated. Now I'm confused.

I should have tested the a/c at the rig with a meter but didn't think to do that...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
brenkco

How many appliances are you trying to run at the same time, under what kind of weather situations, hot, real hot or sun blasting furnace hot??

You can surely operate a Montana on a 30 AMP service, disclaimer: the 30 AMP box/pole should be fully functional. BUT, you cannot run everything at once in the rig on a 30 AMP service. You are gonna have to pick and choose.

Some of the guys can describe this in detail, but, when we are on 30 AMP, we do not run the hot water heater on electric (only on propane). We do run the frig, and the A/C, a few lights and the computer. If, I want to run the Microwave, I turn off the A/C for a while. I never run a heater, toaster, coffee pot at the same time, or, if I do, I end up popping fuses and such, and get dirty looks from the hubby, who always says, I thought you knew better, well, ya, I do, but sometimes oldtimers kicks in and the power kicks off.

this is just ONE thing to be aware of, and no insult is intended if you already know all this!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carol,
Thank you..no insult taken, I appreciate the input! I think we were running totally on batteries. When I turned the lights on, the refer went off this morning.. All we had on was the fireplace for some heat...nothing else. The lights were getting very dim. No lights over the vanity. Furnace would not run. Tried turning off the main breaker on the panel in the bath. Turned off both breakers at the CG box. Moved the 30a to the other outlet and turned on the breakers, in and out. Still no power.

The only thing I didn't check was the 30a cord from the box to the Monte. I had in from my TT and never had used it.
From what you're saying, I should be able to use the trailer with some limitations on a 30a service?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Most of us use 30a connections, some frequently, some less so. The only difference is that when the electrical items drawing power in your rig exceed a total of 30 amps it will pop the park's breaker. With a 50 amp connection you can run more electrical items before it pops that breaker. That's the only difference.

Can you borrow someone else's 30a cord to make sure there's not a short in yours?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Good suggestion, thanks, Steve
Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Steve, re Dryer Breaker, seems a lot are mislabeled and are actually the power converter breaker. Mine was, pretty sure yours is, from what you mentioned, sounds like that may be the same problem here.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys also remember I think a 30amp breaker or any one really is only good for 80% of load on a continual pull. So a 30amp would only be good for 24amps. I was told this by a electrician that works with us. food for though. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Steve, re Dryer Breaker, seems a lot are mislabeled and are actually the power converter breaker. Mine was, pretty sure yours is, from what you mentioned, sounds like that may be the same problem here.
Jim, thanks. I'm pretty sure either mine is mislabeled or I misread it. They are next to each other in the panel. Plus, there is a shelf just below the panel and that shelf has some things that make it not real easy to view the labels. So I probably just misread it. When we are doing something not requiring 110v I may shut off the breakers to see which does what.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I really a newbie on all of this electrical stuff, but I am learning. We had problems the first summer we used our 3400RL. The AC kicked off as well as the frig. Took it back to the dealer and he replace our converter. Took it out again and had problems again. I posted on the boards and was told to check the water in our batteries. Sure enough we added water and we haven't had problems since.

We have camped with 30AMP cords several times using the AC and/or furnace and a ceramic heater. As Carol posted, you just have to watch what you have on. I turn everything off when I pull out my trusty hair dryer

I hope you find your problem. It sure is frustrating when you are having problems.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Carol,
Thank you..no insult taken, I appreciate the input! I think we were running totally on batteries. When I turned the lights on, the refer went off this morning.. All we had on was the fireplace for some heat...nothing else. The lights were getting very dim. No lights over the vanity. Furnace would not run. Tried turning off the main breaker on the panel in the bath. Turned off both breakers at the CG box. Moved the 30a to the other outlet and turned on the breakers, in and out. Still no power.

The only thing I didn't check was the 30a cord from the box to the Monte. I had in from my TT and never had used it.
From what you're saying, I should be able to use the trailer with some limitations on a 30a service?
The lights get very dim. This leads me to believe you are talking about the 12VDC lights. Along with that you statement of the refrig going off again makes me believe you talking about a low battery issue. The fridge needs 12VDC to run the circuitry and then cools with either propane or 110VAC. The statement you heated with the fire place means you do have 110 AC coming to the trailer.

My recommendation is to find the converter and make sure it is powered on. One of the breakers controls that outlet. Hopefully someone with your model will advise where the converter is located.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I agree with those statements made earlier. Check the 30 amp 12V fuses. These are the flat blade type fuses like in your car or truck. The 30 amp fuses are Green. In my 3400, there are two (2) fuses in the 12v fuse panel. Both of the fuses must be operational or you will have the various types of problems you have described. Test the continuity of the fuses, do NOT just look at the fuse link inside the fuse. I have been caught by this, test with a volt/ohm meter.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote