Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
securing chairs

Well, we opened up our rig yesterday to start loading our stuff and noticed that the rear rocker/recliners were back to back with the small table in between. Two hooked straps were put together to make one strap long enough to wrap around the backs of the chairs in order to prevent them from bouncing sround.

We were told from our PDI that there are mounts on the floor and straps to anchor the chairs down while traveling. I found the four hooked straps, floor mounts and one long strap. I think I figured out how it all works but would like to hear from those of you that know the correct process for strapping down the chairs.

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't know if it's correct - but as found from the factory, our chairs were back to back with each chair having its own strap that anchored to the floor on each side by the arms. The end table and coffee table were secured to the couch (but we have the older hide-a-bed type couch).

We broke the buckles on the straps and abandoned the anchor in the floor idea. We removed the floor anchors and now just set them back to back and strap them together with a better strap from Wally world. No more getting the straps tangled under those chairs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
We removed the straps and metal tie-downs that are screwed to the floor. We put the small table between the backs of the chairs and strap the two chairs together. They do not move and this is so much easier than straping to the floor. I tied the straps together to make one long strap that will go around both chairs. This works for us.
Dave
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
First of all, I put casters on our recliners for easier moving. As for storage, I still use the floor anchors for the straps. I place the chairs back-to-back with the little lamp table in between. I do it this way to help keep the chairs off of the day-nite shades. Seems to work.

Check Our Photo Album - My Mods below.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Dick I use my chair tie downs all the time they come up from the back wall floor bracket across the chair back resting on the arm rest then the front webbing goes up and conects to the back webbing with the quick disconect. I also took the crome floor guieds off cause they sink into the rug if it has been sitting long and it's hard to move the chairs. some of the members dont secure the chairs at all.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I also use the straps as originally intended. back to back chairs with the little table between them. the straps go over each of the chairs arms with the quick disconnect. The purpose of the straps is to keep the chairs from bouncing around (just in case) A lot of pressure is not necessary to keep them in place. you can also put the lamp in one of the chairs with the base under the strap. It will be held in place securely.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
We never use the floor hooks, we spin the chairs back to back and strap them lightly together, never a problem. We do nothing with the dining room chairs and they have never moved, even on some lousy roads. We did install a short piece of velco to one corner of the dining table extention, it came out once and rubbed again the counter cabnit.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We've used the straps and they have held every time...except one. Rough roads in Mississippi and at a rest stop we opened the door and chairs where upside down.
Never happened again.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks to all. In our Cedar Creek the chairs were strapped together back to back with the table in between. Depending on the road determined how much the chairs moved. We used the couch cushions between the chairs and the walls.

I think I'll use the straps as intended until something better comes along. We did find an extra strap tucked inside the sofa bed(inflatable mattress) and haven't figured that out yet.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

Thanks to all. In our Cedar Creek the chairs were strapped together back to back with the table in between. Depending on the road determined how much the chairs moved. We used the couch cushions between the chairs and the walls.

I think I'll use the straps as intended until something better comes along. We did find an extra strap tucked inside the sofa bed(inflatable mattress) and haven't figured that out yet.
I think the strap tucked inside the sofa bed is for the coffee table. At least that's what we use it for. We turn the coffee table upside down on the sofa and run the strap across the back legs and latch.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Its too bad "how to strap' is not worthy for the Owner's Manual.
I suppose the tradeoff is if the Manual covered everything, it would be at least twice as thick and few would read.
For as much as these RVs cost, an interactive CD (or at least indexed) would be reasonable to me.

THANKS So much for the MOC and answering questions!!!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
PS, on our 3670 the prior owner's walk-through/setup had the Coffee Table sitting on the floor normally, but positioned to avoid slidein interference. Owner said that's fine, just don't turn over or it will slide around on the smooth top.
Will look for strap in sofa!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have the 3400 and we don't strap down our chairs. We moved our couch to the bay window to give us extra room for the dining table. The recliners fit next to the dining table, and will spin back to back and not tip over since the super slide closes and pins them in. When the chairs were at the bay window we also turned them back to back and did not strap them down. I don't think there is that much room for the chairs to do much moving when they are corralled by the super slide and the desk slide when closed.

Our end table goes on top of the bed. We store our ice machine between the B2B chairs along with bottled water. With the couch in the bay window area we store cokes, electric skillet, hot plate, clothes drying rack etc. on each side of the couch.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Even though our ride home from the dealer was surprisingly smooth and uneventful, we did notice that the chairs were against the rear wall. I don't know if they moved there while in transit or if the tech just had them too close when he closed up the unit.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For those that do not tie the chairs in place, do you travel with your Day/Night shades up or down?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We travel with chairs not tied down, dining table and chairs not tied down and blinds in whatever position they happen to be in. No problems in three+ years and many miles.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We re-arranged the couch to the bay window and moved the recliners over by the dining table. Much more room that way and I take the cushions from the couch and stuff them behind the rocker recliners on the big slide. Also with that arrangement, you don't have to move the recliners everytime you put the slides in. I just haven't had the experience of things moving around back there - rides real smooth. I left 1/4 cup of water on the counter by accident and it was still there at the next stop.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Our blinds are generally pulled down as I don't want the sun coming in and fading out the material on the couch and chairs. Our table is unbolted from the floor, and our dining room chairs are not strapped tegether. Haven't had a problem with any thing moving.

I do have to watch out for things that are stored on either side of the couch as they can slide forward. I make sure that things are pretty tight and can't move.

It is alot easier to open the large bay window with the couch across the back. I had a heck of a time opening it up and closing the shade when the chairs were back there.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We do not tie down any chairs either. I like to leave the nite shades up and the day shades down. No problems in over 4-5 years. We also put an old blanket on the bed and we travel with one bike on the bed.

Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We never tie down the chairs or dining chairs ,,as we now have new dining chairs ,, all oak , no cushions and the leather chairs and ottmans in the liv never tie down ,, we did make slip covers for the wood dining chairs out of the pillow schams from the bed room as we replaced the bed spread and mattress also the nite blinds are up because its day time when we travel
never a problem john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote