Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #61
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Mr. Bear Hunter ... actually I remember well the days when my children were small and, since we kept our children under control so as not to bother other people, I highly resent it when the same courtesy is not afforded to us. This also goes for theaters, restaurants and malls, as well as campgrounds.

Virg ... yes, life is very good. But we are in campgrounds 365 days a year and we try very, very hard to be respectful of our neighbors. But with constantly changing neighbors and the lack of respect we have experienced from a few of them, sometimes it takes a whole bottle of chill pills to keep our cool.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #62
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I'm in agreement with most of the posts in this topic and I'm surprised no one has mentioned (unless I missed it)the way some people park their trucks with no consideration of other having to maneuver around them to back their rigs into a campsite....or to get out of a site. I know some of he campgrounds are tight and have narrow roads but a little consideration when parking ones TV can be a great help to those getting in or out of a campsite.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #63
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well all I can say is DITTO on all of the above.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #64
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Me, too, on the ditto. SteveS, I agree with you and just forgot about that. There have been times I've seen someone trying to get into a site near us and have gone and moved our truck to make it easier for them. It was not that I was being careless about parking but had to do with the layout of the site and the available parking. I've seen others do the same thing and then there's the people who just stand there and watch even though their vehicle is causing the problem. I've also seen the ones you mentioned who didn't have to park that way but did anyhow. I have been known to knock on doors to ask if they could move their vehicle for a few minutes so we could get into or out of a site.

I also think that when we were weekenders and vacationers we found noisy neighbors much easier to put up with because at the end of the weekend we left. But now we live in rv parks year round and thus have much more opportunity to be exposed to the crude, rude, and inconsiderate folks as well as the oblivious. That said, most of the time we've had good neighbors. Now if they would just realize that doors don't always have to be slammed....

And, as Vicki said, we made sure our children were well-behaved in public places and in those instances where they were not we took them "out of service." We are pleased to see they are teaching their children the same way. But there seem to be many parents these days who just don't care if they or their children are bothering anyone else. Kids can have a lot of fun without being disturbing to others.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #65
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Boy are we picky. I guess that in all our years of camping and campgrounds we have experienced all of these peeves.Howver I think it is important to say that I think the 99.9 % of campers are considerate to fellow campers.We all have our peeves..things that bother us..Example..Folks that interject ya know..ya know after about every 3 or 4 words..drives me nuts. And I was..ya know...going down the street..ya know..and this dog..ya know..bit me..ya know.Arrghhhh. I would move the camper if we were next door to one of those..ya know///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #66
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Agree that we shouldn't let it "GET" to us too bad, but in some cases... the tactlessness, and lack of respect needs to be dealt with.. sometimes it's a safety issue. Something all of you should remember though is to be very cautious in approaching people to even make the most mild of 'cut it out" requests..
I have had to deal with (as have most Park Rangers) many fights, fueds, and all around childish behaivior that stemmed from someone making a polite request regarding someone else's un-neiborly behiavior. Best to tell whomever passes for the ranger...
Now, If I CAN ONLY REMEMBER to do that myself, instead of thinking I'm still the law after this coming Friday....
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #67
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
My sentiments exactly Rich. 95%+ or more campers are great neighbors. There are parks where children aren't allowed except for perhaps special holidays. As far as disruptive neighbors, we can easily find that in stick built neighborhoods. My point is, people are like this are everywhere. Why do we expect it to be any different in campgrounds? There are more people on the roads that are a pet peeve with the cell phones posing danger to the rest of us than we ever see in the campgrounds. If you get 2 people in one spot, sooner or later one will do something the other is upset with. It is a fact of life. If you let it bother you,it ruins your day. In the big scheme of life, is it worth it? IMHO.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #68
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I don't think any of us meant that we were going to do something drastic. A "pet peeve" doesn't indicate something you are horribly upset about, just an irritant. And yes we have been in many campgrounds where we had no problems at all. ABout the only one that ruins my day is when I can't sleep because of some of the above issues.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #69
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Rich I had to laugh when you said your wife talks to the parrot like he understands her ya know. I think that animals maybe don't really understand the language but they learn to do certain things when you talk to them ya know. Our poodle knows when we tell him to do certain things like to go pee or the other. He a pretty smart dog. and he behaves pretty well. We have had no trouble with him camping. In fact you were right behind us at national and bet you never heard him.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #70
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Ok after having read through this entire thread, I would have to agree that cutting through a site, loud kids/adults, pets running rampant, and the other peeves mentioned are all worthy of note.
However, I have one I would like to add to the list. My pet peeve is bathrooms...dirty, nasty, eewww bathrooms!! I'm no germaphobe, but some of the bathrooms you run across are so filthy you are afraid of catching something from just looking at it!
If I ever had an rv park or managed one, the bathrooms in it would be one of my primary concerns. There's nothing that says "We Care" more than clean restroom and shower facilities!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 AM   #71
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Have to agree regarding the bathrooms, which is a major reason we have a rig. We get our own bathroom with just OUR dirt (all couples just nod your heads!). We never use the campground bathrooms, but the their condition is a good barometer for the rest of the park.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #72
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I agree with "my dirt" in my rig.....that's why I hate hotel/motels too. In my working life I traveled a lot and have seem some dirty rooms. I much prefer my rig and my germs. Betty would say there are no germs in our rig!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 AM   #73
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree with the Dirty bathrooms in SOME campgrounds.In general you get what you pay for..However most, if not all of the mess in bathrooms is due to the campers that use them.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 AM   #74
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
You're right on Rich! We operated a 299 space campground for 12 years that had 13 restroom buildings, 7 had shower facilities. Two fulltime people to care of them and still had problems at times because of slobs. All it take is one.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:35 AM   #75
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
All the above and....... generators that are running past "quiet time". Yes, even those small Hondas sound loud after 10pm.

We frequent a campground at the coast that doesn't have hook-ups so we have a 3600 watt Onan propane generator that we use for the "big stuff" and also a 2000 watt Honda that we'll take and use to power a TV at times, but never after "quiet time".

We've had neighbors that use the 1000/2000 watt Honda generators after 10pm and they say "oh, it doesn't make much noise".

Those small generators certainly make enough noise when everyone in the campground is settled in for the night.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #76
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Well the reason for my comments on the bathroom issue is that we just took our first RV "experience" and because my son is handicapped, I wanted him to enjoy the whole trip as much as possible. The bathroom in our TT is small (smaller than we first thought when we got it - a problem I will hope to be correcting in our Montana!)so we wanted to use the campground facilities - they have a handicapped-accessible bathroom and shower. We go in to get the key for it and we overhear the park owners complaining that someone used one of the men's shower room stalls as a toilet! Gross!
Now this wasn't the parks fault I understand but also yesterday I was at the local WalMart (and I know about the use of Walmart as a "boondocking" location for RVers) when I went in to use their restroom...the place looked like hurricane Andrew had been through there! It was filthy dirty, the toilet seat was all but falling off the toilet, and there was numerous graffiti references indicating where one can go to resolve their particular "needs"! All in all the restroom was beyond disgusting and it just set me off on a rant. This is a brand new store and yet it looks like this...some people just can't stand to see something nice. It makes you wonder about people sometimes.

Ok rant over...thanks for letting me vent!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #77
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ak traveler..you just hit on something..Campers are on the whole pretty considerate folks execpt when in comes to two places..the campground restrooms and the campground laundry room. Those are usually the two most dirtiest places in a campground.We were at a campground last month were someone had thrown out their garbage in the laundry trash can//// and we were stopped at a wall mart , many campers in the lot and that restroom was a disaster, again garbage in the trash cans.... Your comments just caused me to put that all together.