Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
Dutch camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #18640
Newbie fresh tank gravity fill question

I have a question on using gravity or pump assisted fill of the fresh water tank. In my previous SOB 5th wheel I was able to use the pump and fill the tank through the valve settings of the fresh water fill. I have not tried this yet, but wanted to check if the same is possible or does the fill need to occur through gravity fill only with my Monty?

Dutch camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is a switch in the convenience center that allows the fresh water tank to be filled via a city water connection. The pump is not needed since the water pressure is all that is needed to fill the tank and the pump is used to pump water from the fresh water tank to the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Dutch camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #18640
My question is more on the case where you don't have city water, but would like to refill the fresh tank from a water carrier, extending your stay/postponing a trip to a potable water fill point. Quite a few of the forest service or state park campgrounds I have stayed in, you can have electric but no water/sewer hookup. In the past I used some collapsible tanks to refill the fresh tank, since it would run out well before the grey/black would be full.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Don't believe you can use your onboard pump to do what you are asking. Also don't believe you have a gravity fill either. Probably have to use an external pump (hand or electric) to fill your fresh water from a portable source.

If you were able to install some sort of tee and switch between the fresh water fill and the winterize connection, that may work.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Seems like I remember that some have done it by removing the clear plastic cover in the convenience center (fresh water tank overflow I believe), and gravity feeding there, you would need an external pump if it would not gravity flow.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Per a recent discussion (May 16, 2016 response by Pugtracker http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...esh,water,fill) it is possible to fill the fresh water tank using the on-board water pump. Here is how one member does it:

I hear ya. If keystone would put out a here's how to do it when all you have is a 6 gallon jug of water or a bladder they could be heros.

Pretend you are going to winterize unit

1. Fill portable water source
2. Put hose in or attach to portable water source.
3. Attach to the convenience winterize 3/4 outlet
4. Turn on valves as if you were going to winterize and get a suction.
5. Once you have suction and water is flowing through outside shower hose you are ready to fill.
6.take shower hose attached it to city water fill and fill your water tank by flipping your lever to the fill position.

I have 50 gallon bladder and do this all the time. This of course is done with the modern convenience center.

If you do a "Search" using "water fill" (or such) you should get a number of topics (many with just complaints) and a few solutions.

Personally I use the 12V Harbor Freight water pump method to refill from my 40 Gal. bladder.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Interesting solution utilizing the onboard equipment. I will have to remember this.
While dry camping on Memorial Day weekend I gave a half hearted try at filling through the overflow vent located at the ODS in ear the rear of the unit. Maybe with the correct funnel etc you could do this as the black cover slides up and gives you access to the vent. Remove the screen and you could put a funnel in the vent. One of our friends showed up and like usual had a empty plastic drum with a quick connect that fits on his little 12v electric pump. Was thinking I might be low on water but I really was not. Only added maybe 15/20 gallons max. We could have made it just fine but the tank is measured in thirds so it can look emptier than it really is.

Tom Marty
Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Dutch camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #18640
Carl n Susan, that's a great and practical solution! I will use that procedure instead of buying another pump to fill the tank! You saved me some nice $$

Jeroen
Old 07-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
In addition, you can buy a simple digital water meter (Thanks Dave) to measure how much water you are adding. We boondock a lot and if we are only going for a few days, it's nice to know how much water we're putting in. 1/3 tank is not fine enough measure for us.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
On one of our trips to Quartzsite I bought a 12 vote RV pump and a 7 pin 12 volt plug and wired it to run off our hitch plug. I run all my water through my filter system and a water softener from my 45 gallon water bladder. It works great and I just hook it to my city water port and turn the valve to fill fresh water.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote