Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Electrical

Howdy and thanks in advance for all help.

Not plugged in to shore power.
No power in camper.
12.7 @ battery
The black lead goes to a (splitter?) and then up to a block
with three studs. Center is feed and has voltage, outside
studs that go to hydraulic motor and camper have no voltage.
Ground feeds into a center stud in front of block and has(continuity?) at spade terminals at outside.
This block is riveted closed. What is it? Is this my problem?

Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe it is your autoreset breaker and should have no impact on 12V feed to your rig. My first suggestion is to verify that the battery disconnect in your convenience center is not engaged.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Thanks Bingo.

The switch says battery disconnect
and the (wing) of the key is in the on position.
That is horizontal, is that correct?

Thanks Jack
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I never can remember, what I always do is to use the convenience center or basement light for the indicator. Turn the light on, turn key, repeat until light comes on, then you are sure there is DC power to the rig.
Bingo
On edit: I think on ours ON means it is engaged, seems backwards to me, but it is what it is.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
I just tried it in both positions, and still no entrance light in camper in either position. Not even power to tank/battery gauge.

Plug into shore power and every thing reads fine.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Sounds like you have to be open between your hot from the battery and your 12V distribution center. I'm just not familiar enough with the wiring as to where it runs and where it is fused to help you much. I'd first insure that the battery disconnect switch is not the problem. If you can get to the back of it try jumpering across it or use your vom to insure continuity. Short of that I'd try following it visually. Jim
Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Bingo, I agree with you--I marked my Battery Disconnect switch with Connected and Disconnected! "ON" for disconnect is confusing! Anyway--hope Jimcol gets the power back on.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
When the Key is horizontal DC Power is on (Key can not be removed when on). Picture is in the ON position.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
John's post is exactly why I use the light to see when the power is on. I would wager three Amish Craftsmen that some rigs are wired one way and some rigs the other! As Jimcol said, you need to check that the disconnect switch is working properly if you are sure that the DC power is not working in either position. After that, I would have to defer to more knowledgeable electrical gurus.
Bingo
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
I would start the trouble shooting with first testing the battery, then put a charger on it, 12.7 volts is low, it should be 13.4 or higher. Then I would start testing for 12v power with the battery, then just follow the cables and re test at every connection with a volt meter, or a test light, also make sure your primary ground is good, this should not take that long to find the connection problem, best of luck.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ski Doo

Howdy and thanks in advance for all help.

Not plugged in to shore power.
No power in camper.
12.7 @ battery
The black lead goes to a (splitter?) and then up to a block
with three studs. Center is feed and has voltage, outside
studs that go to hydraulic motor and camper have no voltage.
Ground feeds into a center stud in front of block and has(continuity?) at spade terminals at outside.
This block is riveted closed. What is it? Is this my problem?
You say the black lead goes into a splitter (note: on the Montanas they do use the black as the hot 12vdc and white as the ground). The black to the block with three studs (sounds to me like your up or down/in or out for your hydraulics) and not your problem.
Where do the other leads off the splitter go. I agree with others I think you have a bad "resetable" breaker that feed your 12vdc switch in the convenience center. The resetable breaker should have red rubber covers and it should have a metal silver/aluminum body with two studs out and the 12vdc wire. One side should read your 12.7 and so should the other if it does not then that breaker (auto rest) is bad. Normally these are mounted on the back wall on the right hand side.
Sorry that is the best I can do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't know how the newer ones are wired, but on my '07 there are two auto reset circuit breakers. One supplies power to the slide pump, the other supplies power to the rest of the trailer. See picture.
But both of these only have two terminals. The only thing in mine that has three terminals is the block on top of the slide pump.
Is yours anything like this?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Don't know how the newer ones are wired, but on my '07 there are two auto reset circuit breakers. One supplies power to the slide pump, the other supplies power to the rest of the trailer. See picture.
But both of these only have two terminals. The only thing in mine that has three terminals is the block on top of the slide pump.
Is yours anything like this?
Hi BB
After leaving the red capped block on the right, the power goes to the center stud on a 3 studded (block) mounted to the right looking at it. Power gets to center stud, but does not exit on two outside studs.
Thanks to all for their help. It's 15 ouside and blowing about 40mph so my interest is fading for tonight. But will have at it tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
On ours the auto breaker failed and we were dry camping with no 12 volt I hooked up the truck we had power. At home I was checking the wires and heard a clicking as I wiggled the wire that went back under the floor and as i wiggled it the lights went on and off so I changed the breaker and no more trouble. The black wire goes back under the trailer where the main power Cable comes into the battery area.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Don, my guess is the "auto breaker", also. That seems to be the last place that power
Is behaving properly. (On the feed stud)
I will try to check mine out today.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #16
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
A call to my dealer and said to press reset buttons on breakers, none to be found.
Took out 25 amp fuses on power panel to check for a bad one, none found, replaced them, and .......... a green panel light came on and the interior lights came on.
All seems to be working fine now.

Thanks to all for your help.
Jack
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Things to ponder... BB_TX, on my rig the breakers are for the landing gear and the other is for the slideout motor (now I have three because I use dual parallel breakers for the slider to prevent the well know start/stop problem and the dual solution was less expensive than replacing the single breaker at the time).

Funny how we blame the Amish for these weirdball problems. I blame Americans (they call us "English"). Amish don't even like electricity and everything they know they were taught by us "English" people. So let's blame the English, sometimes we can't understand their accent anyway.

The problem he is describing sounds like a fuse which he replaced per another topic. What I don't understand is he implied they were good but he replaced them anyway. I hate when that happens. This fuse buzzing-out-as-good-but-was-bad-anyway happened to me once. And another time a circuit breaker that buzzed out good needed replacing anyway happened to me as well. What's up when you expect a fuse or breaker to "break" and they don't but then don't work? Gotta love the convenience of technology except when it becomes the problem, eh?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote