Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Winterizing

Has anybody got a checklist for winterizing the Montys. Its that time of the year again. I dont want to forget anything. Thanks for your help.

sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
blow out and open bottom drains. recap drains.drain and bypass h.w. tank,we leave annode rod out, pull shower heads and hoses, wash machine, If you have a suction line to pull antifreeze into the system it mostly takes care of all lines, outside shower if you have one, toilet, put a cup of antifreeze in each sink and shower drain. look at all your exposed lines and see if you see pink for a good indicator. we leave the blk and gray valves open, we also remove battery so it won't freeze. that is mostly what we do.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I just drain all the tanks, including the fresh water tank and water heater. Then bypass the WH.
Then hook up an antifreeze jug to the winterizing connection, turn on the pump, and one by one open each kitchen faucet until I see antifreeze coming out. Then each vanity faucet, each shower faucet, the commode, and then the washer/dryer until I see antifreeze from each one. I follow Splendide's instructions for the washer/dryer. Then I turn on each outside shower faucet. Also run a little thru each low point drain.
Doing the above puts some antifreeze thru all the lines plus some in each drain trap. If I remember, I connect a hose from the outside shower connection to the black tank flush connection and run a little thru there. Don't really know if that is necessary or not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks again for the advise.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This is the process I use for the water lines
[list_to_fix][*] Dump all holding tanks[*] Drain water heater [list=a][*] Turn off 120 VAC power at outside black switch[*] Pull anode rod
[*]Blow out lines with about 40 lbs air pressure no more than 60[list=a][*] Blow out black tank flush line[*]After water is out of water heater switch to winterize mode bypassing water heater lines[*]Open one faucet at a time to remove as much water as possible including low drain points.[*]Drain fresh water tank[*]Switch pump to winterize mode (normally takes about two gallons)[list=a][*]Hook up siphoned line to winterize port[*]Pump pink solution into each faucet[list_to_fix][*]Kitchen sink[*]Bathroom sink[*]Shower[*]Outside shower[*]Washer shower faucets[*]Pump into commode[*]Pour pink in drains (normally 1/3 gallon per drain trap)[list=a][*]Kitchen sink[*]Bathroom sink[*]Shower[*]Commode[*]Washer dryer drain[*]Remove all liquids from storage areas
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
sfish,
Here is a link to the step-by-step procedure for winterizing using the compressed air method: Compressed air method.
Also, here is a link to the Keystone website with a visual of the process: Winterize your rig. Just click on the "Winterize your RV" video.

Jack
Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
here is my check list.
Winterizing Trailer

• Remove all liquids and gels ie. Soap, shampoo, toothpaste, shaving cream, printer cartridge,and any gels or liquids in storage compartment and tool box.
• Leave fridge doors open remove light.(put in baking soda).
• Put bounce sheets in all compartments.
• Shut of power to water heater.
• Shut of power to microwave.
• Drain water tank.
• Open low point drains (2).
• Drain water heater.
• Engage hot water by pass valve.
• Close low water drains.
• Blow out lines (30psi) - open taps (Hot and Cold) closest to air supply close tap, and then each succeeding taps.**
• Blow out black water flushing line. if equipped
• Remove water filter
• Disconnect supply line from water tank at pump. Install
rubber hose with one end in jug of anti freeze. Make sure taps are closed.Or use FreezeGaurd.
• Turn on pump.
• Turn on o/s shower until red anti freeze flows.

• Disconnect hand held shower in side and drain.
• Open tap furtherest from pump until anti freeze flows.
• Flush toilet until anti freeze flows.
• Washer lines to be flushed.
• Make sure there is anti freeze in traps.
• Remove rubber hose from pump and reconnect tank supply line. (Make sure it is drained, may have to put anti freeze in hose not required if you have frezzeguard)
• Open low point drains.
• Open holding tanks.
• Cleanup any spilled anti freeze and wipe out sinks
• Open vents a touch.***
• Remove battery and store.
• Apply die-electric grease to 7 pin connector, truck connector also.
• Oil all hinges and key cylinders.
• Check air in tires and store on wood.
• Park trailer with all blinds closed.
• Cover tires.
• Clean BBQ

** If you don’t blow out lines then make sure you release the valve at the city water connection.
*** only if you have max vents

Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
The first time I winterized, didn't know it had a water filter. The thing froze and split. Now I remove the screws holding the white panel, then remove and empty the filter.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Didn't realize there is a water filter behind the white panel! I assume this is on the 3400RL also.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are winterizing right now..

Pack Montana
Hook up truck
Head for Florida

Otherwise do as suggested in post from others above..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I knew that was coming Rich!!
The only thing I can add is if you are using the pink stuff is to make sure that it travels all the way to the end of the low-point drains. They are exposed, they will freeze, they will crack! As another alternative, I have never removed the batteries from the rig but I do charge them and visit the rig monthly to operate the generator and keep the batteries charged. A fully charged battery will not freeze, a dead battery can freeze. I do fully disconnect them now to make sure there are no current drains at all. And for those of us who have installed any kind of soap dispensers at the sinks, remove the soap and/or the canisters. Ours is mounted at the kitchen sink and the container is unscrewed beneath the counter and removed from the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I like Rich's winterization check list the best!!!
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I think Rich has too many steps in his procedure. Eliminate the 1st step just step 2 and 3 are all that's needed. They have Walmarts in Florida or Texas which ever way the truck is pointed.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote