Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Victoria Winslow

M.O.C. #8875
Winterizing and a few other things

Should we put antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank and if so how can we do it. We have the convience center and just cant figure that one out. Also do you need to put antifreeze in the black tank flush area and again if so could someone tell us how to do that. got all the other lines filled and some poured down the traps. Went camping this weekend and ran out of gas but just prior to doing so the gas smell outside the monty was horrible. is this normal? Taking it in for it's first warranty work next weekend didn't know if I should mention this.One last thing(sorry)noticed some embers must of burned some pin holes in the awning(talk about being upset) is there a quick fix or should I have the dealer fix it . Thanks in advance

Victoria Winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I have always put the RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank myself; however, this year I think I forgot to put any in there. (Senior Moment perhaps!) When I put it in I try and use a clean funnel and simply dump it into the funnel directly into the fresh water inlet supply line. From everything I’ve read, if the tank is drained it should be large enough that it shouldn’t cause any problems. My only concern is the line going to the water pump from the fresh water tank. I guess I’ll find out next spring on that one. When the RV antifreeze has been placed in the fresh water tank it does take a while to flush it out in the spring.

Concerning the waste tanks I try and have them flushed out real good before I start adding the RV antifreeze. By the time I have the camper winterized, a lot of the RV antifreeze has already went into the black & grey tanks so I don’t usually worry about those other than that.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The fresh water tank is build so the drain is at the lowest point. I do not put any in the tank and have never had any problems. Make sure to drain the tank and the low point drains. I run a little into the water heater and also I dump a little into each drain - more because of the fact there you have traps that will hold water by design. Again, the tanks are tapered toward the dump and built to "not" hold liquid. Just my thoughts.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
First let me welcome you to MOC. Now I can only advise how I embalm my monty with the pink stuff.I open the lower drain lines below the outside "convenience center" also known as the docking station. I also take the cap off the fresh water tank and let it drain. I do not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank - no need. I turn the bypass valve on the water heater so it doesn't pump the pink stuff in hot water tank. I remove the anode rod and let the hot water tank drain. I then hook my hose up to the "winterize" connection in the docking station and put the other end in a gallon of antifreeze. I then go in and turn the pump on and go to each faucet and turn on till pink stuff runs - this includes the toilet. I let the pink stuff run enough to get a little into the black and grey tanks. Don't forget to do the outside shower faucet and the washer and dryer connections if so equiped. Been there and done that by having to replace the outside shower faucet because I forgot about it a couple years ago.
Gas smell outside the Monty ? I would treat that very serious especially if you have a new unit. Could be a line loose or something. Have someone qualifed do that one. Can't help you with your awning, maybe your dealer has some patching stuff.
Good Luck.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
No need to put pink stuff in fresh water tank.In 25 years of Rving no problem.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Everything you have read about winterizing is very good information. We do the same thing. as far as the gas smell, It probably came as you were emptying the tanks. You have a regulator on them that controls the pressure of gas on the line. As you run out, the pressure is less and will linger in the lines because the regulator is still open. If your unit is new, i would have it checked out anyway. There are propane checkers on the market that I carry all the time. Propane is deadly and does not smell, thats why they have the smell compound in them to detect the loss of propane. Sometimes, when the wind is blowing a particular direction to where were parked, you can get that smell from the ref pilot lite if its on gas.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ken

Propane is deadly and does not smell, thats why they have the smell compound in them to detect the loss of propane.
Just to clarify that statement a bit, propane is not "deadly" in the sense that it is poionous. Certainly, it could be deadly if allowed to build up to explosive levels, and at very high levels it could suffocate you from lack of oxygen, but it is not deadly in the sense that carbon monoxide or formaldehye are.
It needs to be handled properly, but propane toxicity is not something you have to worry about.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Everyone told you about the winterizing and the propane but on the awning deal I would go to Campers World or your local RV dealer and they should have some tape for repairs of the awning. I've seen it there and seen it in ads from different camping magazines also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Propane -

I would take a moment and bubble test your propane fitting from the tank to the regulator (little bit of dishsoap in water and a toothbrush - rub it around the fittings). You might be fine, but after a persistant smell I found a bad elbow fitting in the left LP compartment (our 2003).

Winterize -

Don't forget the "tank fill" line on your convenience center. I try to avoid any pink in the fresh water tank so I just blow the tank fill line out with air. It doesn't hurt to get the pink in there, but it's pretty hard to get flushed out.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

First let me welcome you to MOC. Now I can only advise how I embalm my monty with the pink stuff.I open the lower drain lines below the outside "convenience center" also known as the docking station. I also take the cap off the fresh water tank and let it drain. I do not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank - no need. I turn the bypass valve on the water heater so it doesn't pump the pink stuff in hot water tank. I remove the anode rod and let the hot water tank drain. I then hook my hose up to the "winterize" connection in the docking station and put the other end in a gallon of antifreeze. I then go in and turn the pump on and go to each faucet and turn on till pink stuff runs - this includes the toilet. I let the pink stuff run enough to get a little into the black and grey tanks. Don't forget to do the outside shower faucet and the washer and dryer connections if so equiped. Been there and done that by having to replace the outside shower faucet because I forgot about it a couple years ago.
Gas smell outside the Monty ? I would treat that very serious especially if you have a new unit. Could be a line loose or something. Have someone qualifed do that one. Can't help you with your awning, maybe your dealer has some patching stuff.
Good Luck.

Excellent advice there Mr. Roadrunner. That is exactly how it should be winterized.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Just to give my 2 cents worth because I haven't seen anyone touch on it. You can put rv antifreeze in your fresh water holding tank without any problems. I do a complete flush out the lines in the spring and mid summer with the bleach and water mixture as per the manufacture. That will completely remove any left over antifreeze that might get trapped in your tank plus sanitize your lines, not to forget the low point drain will remove it also. I've got in the habit of sanitizing the lines because where we stay the water is real hard, my filter helps some but I still need to do the bleach and water thing a couple times a year, plus it sure does make the rv smell fresh for a while, ( I love the smell of bleach !! ) (lol).
Bobby A
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I do it pretty much like Indy Roadrunner. I always add a little more to the toilet bowl to ensure the seals do not dry out. Antifreeze does not evaporate.

Also, where your city water hose connects, you should release the pressure in the one way valve. That releases the water trapped behind it. If you can get to the backside of that connection, removing the line on the backside will do the trick. Otherwise, from the outside, remove the screen and washer, then press the white button to release the pressure. Stand back so you don't get sprayed. Then replace the screen and washer. It took me twice having the o-ring out of place to figure out why it was happening. Once I had to replace the entire water connection unit. The other time I was able to work the o-ring back in place using a tiny but long screwdriver. It's easier to just relieve the pressure.

As others said, no need to put antifreeze in the tanks or water heater. Just drain them. What little water is left can freeze but won't expand enough to damage anything.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote