Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
traveling w/ 3yr old toddler/childproofing

Any suggestions as to child proofing/toddler proofing our monty as well as keeping tabs in the campground? Our grandson is very active(putting it mildly) and we need some input from those of you who have been there done it!!! We will mainly be weekenders and since we have yet to make our 1st journey and we want the experiance to be a great one for us and especially our grandson.

Thanks

Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Lock the door so he can't get in!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
LOL...I was thinking something like that too...

...we are sitting our 3 yr old grandson right now at our stickhouse. I'm not sure an RV could handle that much energy...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
A large pet crate for inside and a harness & leash for outside should work great! (Sorry, just joking but couldn't resist!)
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Take the parents along. When you are tired of him, give him back!

Edited: p.s., if they refuse to go, teach him all the bad things they did when they were children to get even for their childhood behavior!

Edited: p.p.s. Actually, you don't have to teach him. Just tell him all the stories. He will not let the parents live them down. "Daddy, do you remember when you did this?"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Well this cam be a big challenge but here are some thoughts:

1) Plexiglas the bottom of the screen door. I used Velcro tape to secure. If you do the top as well it is nice in the fall as you can leave the outer door open and stay warm (side benefit!).
2) Pull up all your day/night shades. They love to play with them and the ends will pop out.
3) Make sure the travel lock is on for the shower door. Little hands like to bang the doors. Doesn't work well on the glass.
4) Carpet covers throughout. Nothing like dirty little feet. You can get nice tan stock from Campers World.
5) Prioritize covering under the table.
6) If you have a dinette, flip the cushions over to the vinyl side.

Here are some other thoughts that might help out:

1) Get some plastic or a welcome mat to put under the outside shower. Sometimes it is easier to wash them off outside.
2) Get some match box cars for in the trailer.
3) Obtain some marshmallow sticks.

I hope that helps!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
3 yr olds love to push switches, so protect your slide switch.

I second the match box cars. They are little and it is amazing what you can construct to make ramps and roads.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
For indoor time ... have lots of Disney movies, washable crayons and coloring/activity books and paper available. Paper airplanes and making tents are favorites of our granddaughters when they have a "slumber party" at Nana and Grandpa's. Oh yeah, and the old stand-by ... playing with soapy water in the kitchen sink. Nora (8) and Ryleigh (4) love to get soapy water in small glasses and then use straws to blow mounds of bubbles.

Hopefully, the campgrounds where you'll be parked will have a play area and/or a large, grassy area where the grandson can run himself ragged ... this is almost always an effective method of assuring a good night's sleep ... for everyone.

Agree on the slide switch and shower door precautions ... and you will definitely need a lot of glass cleaner for the closet doors!

It's easy to keep an eye on the little ones in your Montana since they're too small for munchkins to get "lost" and, therefore, in trouble.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
If the weather is nice & you envision leaving the door open, put a gate latch (hook & eyebolt) on the screen at a height above where the little one can reach. May help keep him from tumbling down the stairs or constantly opening the screen door. We found a quite small gate latch that works great for us when little ones come along. It is hardly noticeable but does its job. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
Watch the toilet. Our 2 yr. old grandson inserted his sippy cup in ours and flushed. Perfect fit, almost went into the tank. Took almost an hour to locate it before we realized he had put it down the toilet and another 30 min. to figure out how to remove without pushing it in. Only took 10 sec. to bag it and throw away.
Watch the toilet..........
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Had a two year old in my RV this weekend. I was worried about him falling into the suicide step in our 3400RL. I would put something in that area in front of the front door to make it flush with the floor.

He was opening cabinet doors so the child locks would be on the lower cabinets if I had one for the weekend. I think I would keep him away from the mirrored closet doors in case he would start banging on them. There are a few plugs that a little one could reach so I would put the covers over the electric outlets.

Flying a kite is really cheap as well as bubbles. Driving the truck while parked takes up tons of time. Fishing even if you don't catch anything can keep them busy. Just pull on the line so they think they had a bite..... keeps them interested. Of course there is always baking cookies......

Good luck and have fun.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 AM   #12
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
I remember when my high-maintenance child was about that age and we went camping. Don't plan on trying to do anything else but spending time with your grandson. Also,(very important)when it comes to naptime you take one too. I am looking forward to having some grandchildren someday. Have fun!!
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #13
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
weather permitting, just getting outdoors is key! Staying cooped up in the RV for hours on end is tough on the little ones - we tried it one summer when it was 100 degrees outside (too hot for the grandparents anyway) and the 3 granddaughters were bored stiff. Tried playing hide and seek, in the shower, the closet (one got locked in because they couldn't get the door undone). So take advantage of all amenities your park offers, let 'em wear themselves out! Oh yeah, when all else fails (or the weather) some DVD's work well too! Good luck!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
They most likely have favorite cartoon programs on TV that mommy and daddy let them watch. If you can't get those channels, ask Mom and Dad to record several to CD/DVD.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote