Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
A picture worth 100 words.
At least until you whap your head on that!!

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #22
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I store it in the bed of our truck if I need to use the bed I take it out when in done in put hitch bake in the bed.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #23
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linehand15 View Post
Hello all,
We love our new 5er. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on storing the hitch it’s self? I have the B&W companion slider in turnover ball set up! Would love to get my bed back while not towing! Was thinking about building some kinda cart to unload onto and wheel around.
I seem to have the same hitch. I use a 1/4 ton chain hoist in the garage to remove the hitch and place it on a furniture dolly. It is then pushed under the shelves in the garage.

If on the road the hitch stays in the truck. If necessary my wife and I (mid 60's) can pull the hitch from the truck.
8500' MSL in Pine, Colorado
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #24
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've been thinking some more about your question and I came up with a brain-storm idea. What you need, at home, is a cart on wheels that stands about 4 feet high.

Step 1. Park your fifth wheel trailer in place.

Step 2 Lower the front landing gear in preparation to unhitch, but don't unhitch.

Step 3 After the weight of the camper is off the hitch, unpin the fifth wheel hitch from the rails or floor of the pick-up truck.

Step 4 Now that the hitch is unpinned from the truck, raise the front of the camper with the front landing gear, lifting the hitch from the bed of the truck, dangling on the king pin.

Step 5 Pull the pick-up truck out from under the trailer, leaving the hitch dangling from the king pin.

Step 6 Take that 4 foot high cart on wheels and position it directly under the fifth wheel hitch.

Step 7 Lower the trailer (Landing gear), lowering the fifth wheel hitch onto that cart.

Step 8 Once the hitch is resting on the cart, release the hitch jaws.

Step 9 Now simply pull the cart with the fifth wheel hitch on top of it to a storage location.

Step 10 Level your fifth wheel and finish setting up at home.

To reattach back into the bed of the truck, reverse the process.

Well, that was my brainstorm idea if you don't have a wench and don't want to leave it dangling in outer space!
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #25
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandBmalin View Post
I'm also not a fan of hanging my hitch on the king pin. My day job (safety director) cringes at the thought of leaving a suspended load (in my case, well over 200 pounds with the Demco Autoslide) at the end of my driveway where people tend to walk including my grand kids - at least they did before COVID-19 and soon will again. In my case, I went with the engine hoist and then because it couldn't reach into my bed far enough, I made two metal "dollies" out of barn rail and casters. I've added the pics and the process. The only real lifting is simply getting the hitch out of the holes in my bed and onto the "dollies" and for that, I use small blocks of wood that I stand on like a lever so the strain on my back is nil. It takes me about 20 minutes to put the hitch in or to take it out by myself. Once out, it sits on a furniture dolly under a workbench in my garage.
Nice setup! I don't have room for the hitch in my building so living it with it on the rig is my best choice. Only danger is the hitch is lower for cracking your head open on it which I have done on my pin box on way too many occasions! No way is that hitch falling off of the pin, and as you can see I have it locked in place, mostly to keep anyone from borrowing it without my permission.

This is the first year I have ever had to worry about it as my tow vehicle was only used to tow! Now I drive a truck that has become my daily driver and I don't want the hitch interfering with my already limited short box capacity.

How do you like your auto slide hitch? As you can see in my photo above I have the manual slide lock hitch, but I am not sure I am going to like it. That hitch was in my old TV and I never had to use it (8' box) and I have yet to tow with the new TV (6.5' box) so I don't even know what to expect, although I know you can get into trouble if you're not careful.

I will be paying close attention as to how it acts on my first trip out this summer, and if I don't like it I will have an auto slide by my second trip!
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #26
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Hitch storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twtudor View Post
Do you have any pic of your cart?
2x4’s, 3/4” plywood and 5” swivel locking casters, height to end gate of truck. Have made several of these multi purpose carts. Same build at FL residence, except use treated lumber and cover with plastic sheathing. Lot in FL has large concrete pad with paver patio, so efficiency same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	6301  
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #27
Linehand15
Established Member

M.O.C. #26120
That is an amazing idea and hopefully some day I can do that! But for now I have to store the 5er about 3 miles from my house sooo yah. But thank you!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #28
Linehand15
Established Member

M.O.C. #26120
I think I’m going to attach an eye, or D ring into my garage door header. so I can back under it and use a hoist to lift hitch out and pull forward. Then lower hitch on to rolling cart.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #29
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
We also have the B&W Companion slider that fits into the gooseneck turnover ball. We bought and engine hoist from Harbor Freight and the folks at our storage facility mounted on the ceiling beam in the storage unit. The we bought the B&W fifth wheel lifting device. Sooo easy to get the hitch in and out of truck in the just minutes! We saw the lifting device at the Tampa RV show and ordered one as soon as we got home. We don't even have to take the head off the hitch. We put the hitch on a furniture dolly and roll it out of the way.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...lifting-device
I made my lifting device out of 2" pipe 6" long and two end caps with an eye bolt in one end. Had some of the parts on hand so it only cost me about $5. I also have the HF portable engine lift with an extension to the reach. Set it down on two HF mini dollies.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote