Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Not a true King Size Bed

UPDATE!!

We found one on Wilderness Mattress that will fit perfectly. Thanks to everyone for their information!!

We hate this memory foam mattress, but measuring the mattress it is 77 x 73 which is neither a California King nor a regular King.

Any ideas where I can get a mattress to fit my space in the bedroom. The regular king would fit if the bedroom didn't have the slide at the head of the bed. Too narrow at the top.

I have the 2020 3931FB model.

Thanks!

greenportbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
When you go online type in the search for RV king size mattress this should bring up places to buy a new mattress

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhn View Post
When you go online type in the search for RV king size mattress this should bring up places to buy a new mattress
Thank you!!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I have also been searching for a new mattress. I am wanting to reduce ours to a queen size for more room around the bedroom. I have found there is NO standard size for a "Camper King", or any mattress. I would recommend that you measure the size you have and get one manufactured to that size. Most larger towns/cities have a manufacturer that would accommodate custom sizes.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
I have also been searching for a new mattress. I am wanting to reduce ours to a queen size for more room around the bedroom. I have found there is NO standard size for a "Camper King", or any mattress. I would recommend that you measure the size you have and get one manufactured to that size. Most larger towns/cities have a manufacturer that would accommodate custom sizes.
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have been using a 72W x 80L Sleep Number in all three of our units.
We went with the King Radius to clear the Vanity in our original Montana 2955RL and have stayed with it because it makes walking around the bottom corners easier.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have been using a 72W x 80L Sleep Number in all three of our units.
We went with the King Radius to clear the Vanity in our original Montana 2955RL and have stayed with it because it makes walking around the bottom corners easier.
Perfect! I found one from Wilderness Mattress that is just the size you are describing!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
King to Queen Size Mattress

I went from a RV king to a Casper queen size mattress in our 3812 MS. The headboard area was already the right sized base, because it was designed for a queen. I cut the rest of the support base to the same width as the headboard base if that makes any sense with a jig saw to minimize the amount of dust to clean up afterwards. The Casper fits great and gave us about 6 inches more room on each side. You can tell the king was an afterthought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	883F8072-1850-4AFA-8055-12080E1717B5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	5617  
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Between out Boat and RV's we have replaced 4 odd shape mattresses and frankly the prices they want for anything other than standard sizes is ridiculous.

So we made our own custom sizes and it is super easy and cheap to do.

Buy any memory foam mattress using an electric knife (like you use to carve Turkey) to cut the shape, the electric knife cuts the memory foam like butter so very easy to do. So simply open up the cover on the end of the mattress and pull the fabric back, use a sharpie to mark your cuts then cut on the marks using your electric knife. When done I use a fabric spray adhesive spray on the end and underside of the mattress to attached the fabric cover to the mattress (you can also sew the end of the fabric closed).

The other thing we do is buy a med to firm 8" mattress and then to determine how soft or form we put a 2-3" Gel Topper on as those sleep the coolest. Also every few years we replace the topper which gives us a refreshed bed (we do this at home also like getting a new bed every couple years for a fraction of the cost).

You can do this with any of the highly 5 rated Costco or Amazon $200(ish) mattress and $100 topper.

I also found that rounding the corners at the foot of the bed provides for better walking space around the bed...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Between out Boat and RV's we have replaced 4 odd shape mattresses and frankly the prices they want for anything other than standard sizes is ridiculous.

So we made our own custom sizes and it is super easy and cheap to do.

Buy any memory foam mattress using an electric knife (like you use to carve Turkey) it cuts the memory foam like butter. So simply open up the cover on the end of the mattress and pull the fabric back, use a sharpie to mark your cuts then cut on the marks using your electric knife. When done I use fabric spray adhesive spray on the end and underside of the mattress to attached the fabric cover to the mattress (you can also sew the end of the fabric closed).

The other thing we do is buy a med to firm 8" mattress and then to determine how soft or form we put a 2-3" Gel Topper on as those sleep the coolest. Also every few years we replace the topper which gives us a refreshed bed (we do this at home also like getting a new bed every couple years for a fraction of the cost).

You can do this with any of the highly 5-star rated Costco or Amazon $200(ish) mattress and $100 topper.
Very nice idea!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
I went from a RV king to a Casper queen size mattress in our 3812 MS. The headboard area was already the right sized base, because it was designed for a queen. I cut the rest of the support base to the same width as the headboard base if that makes any sense with a jig saw to minimize the amount of dust to clean up afterwards. The Casper fits great and gave us about 6 inches more room on each side. You can tell the king was an afterthought.
Looks great!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #12
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenportbeach View Post
Thanks!
See the post from G and S Russell
Old 02-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
On our 48' Boat the master state room was in the bow where the mattress was Pie/wedge shape. You can also take a King mattress and keep it king at the head (6') and narrow to queen (5') or less at the foot, something we are considering now. That gives you the shoulder space at the head where it is needed with still plenty of foot space. However that does require custom sheets (we found a work at home seamstress to make our sheets for under $100...

As mentioned above rounding the corners at the foot really helps also
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
The Mills
Established Member

M.O.C. #11412
Which mattress did you choose? The Montana Hybrid??
The Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mills View Post
Which mattress did you choose? The Montana Hybrid??
Yes..the Montana Hybrid Plush RV King
Old 02-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #16
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Check with Denver Mattress if you have one near you. We got a great deal on a residential queen there and it fits perfectly.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #17
ColleeninVT

M.O.C. #24871
King mattress topper

It’s sound like you are looking to buy a new mattress but have you thought about buying a topper for the mattress to make it more comfortable? We bought a 2019 3811 ms in August and the mattress was awful. We went to Walmart and bought a #4 Allswell mattress topper and trimmed it to fit. It makes the bed super comfortable and cheaper. Just an idea.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allswell-...?selected=true
ColleeninVT is offline   Reply With Quote