Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
Stoney Creek, Va

DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS DUMP!! This has got to be the worst place we ever pulled in to! Just getting to the "resort" was a chore in itself; hair pin turns with obstacles on both corners, extremely narrow roads, just a bad location. When we finally got to the resort, we were put in a spot without sewer; even though I made reservations 90 days out requesting full hookups. I went back to the office and told them about it so they sent me looking to see if I could fit into another spot. The lady at the counter said it would take some work getting into it! We looked; wasn't happening! Even one of the older gentlemen who lives there said no way. And speaking of living there; I'd say 90 percent of the sites were filled with permanent campers. One even had blow up Christmas decorations still up! The roads inside were extremely narrow and turns were cluttered with trees and people's junk! Now the website shows nice, large sites by the lake; but for some reason they didn't put us out there. We would have had better scenery staying in a Walmart parking lot. Needless to say, we did not stay at this dump. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary and wanted somewhere nice. Ended up going farther north to the Harrisonburg KOA. We have seen/stayed in a couple other Coast to Coast resorts; Stoney Creek would be taken off the list if I had a say! We spend good money for these memberships and that place was straight up GHETTO!

MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Where is Stoney creek?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
Stoney Creek

It's located in Greenville, Va. Just a bit south of Staunton.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good to know, Thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
How ironic, I was talking with a gentlemen at work and was telling him how Philpott lake campgrounds are our favorite (although nothing at the campgrounds really) and he told me Stoney Creek was his favorite.
fre1fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I like Momaw lake camp ground no 1. From the back side up SR 600. The water is tested pure enough to drink.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fre1fred2 View Post
How ironic, I was talking with a gentlemen at work and was telling him how Philpott lake campgrounds are our favorite (although nothing at the campgrounds really) and he told me Stoney Creek was his favorite.
I imagine if he is camping over by the lake the sites are really nice. Have him take a right past the guard shack next time he goes there and check out that area. We have been in several parks throughout the US, that place was horrible! While on our travels last week we drove in to Endless Caverns RV resort north of Harrisonburg Va. That place is beautiful!! There is one section that you have to have 4 wheel drive to get your rig up the hill. Those sites sit high on the hill overlooking everything and they are huge sites. Will definitely hit that place next time we are in that area.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
Actually...I question my co-workers judgement...lol.
fre1fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote