Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #21
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Our furnace has now started hitting the set temp and then no matter how cold it gets after that it usually doesn't start up again until I reset the thermostat and then it runs again. At times it will work normally for two or three cycles, other times only once. Dometic claimed to never have heard of this, but they are sending out a new thermostat. Since the furnace will sometimes work for a couple of cycles and then works again when the thermostat is reset, I can't come up with anything accept a bad stat. Any other ideas?
We have had the same issue with our AC. I am reluctant to leave our dogs alone for any length of time. Since your issue is with heat but ours and others on this post have also had this problem but with the AC, I would suspect the problem lies in a shared component (ie not sail switch, ect). Please keep us posted

Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #22
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I’d be looking at the connections on Zone 1 air conditioner control module. Remove and reseat plug in connections. The 4 wire telephone cable used to provide power and CANBUS data back and forth can cause these issues with AC and furnace.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #23
stevekbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #14073
that happened to me this past summer.
Being just under a year old. Keystone paid(reimbursed) me.
The tech that came to change the mother board was told, IF THEREMOSTAT IS CHANGED< SO IS MOTHERS BOARD> AS A MATCHED SET>
stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #24
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
What the tech did is shotgun TS. One has nothing to do with the other. They are not “matched”. The thermostat talks to the furnace via CANBUS thru Zone 1 air conditioner gateway or control module.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree. I do believe my furnace control board was bad and I believe that caused my furnace resetable fuse to weaken. So far, with the new fuse in place all has been good. Cracked the old fuse open to see how it was made and it's no surprise it would fail over time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #26
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
I agree. I do believe my furnace control board was bad and I believe that caused my furnace resetable fuse to weaken. So far, with the new fuse in place all has been good. Cracked the old fuse open to see how it was made and it's no surprise it would fail over time.
Where is the "resetable" fuse? Do you have a picture of the fuse?
Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have one, when you look at your fuse panel, you'll see all normal colored see thru fuses and one solid black one. The black one is the self resetting fuse. If you break it open, you'll see why it might be only good for a few resets.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #28
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Me also

I’m at Winterblast @ Lake Havasu and am having the same issue with my heater. I turn off the. Heater to reset it and the fan will start but no flame so it times out. After several attempts at this , it finally has been starting. Not good waking up to a very cold rig. Having to mess with the furnace for 45 minutes then able to start the day. Our rig is just under a year so back to the shop when I get home. Finding this thread has helped in the sense I not alone in this mess.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Well after a few days of it working right, it's started again so today we'll replace the thermostat.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Well after a few days of it working right, it's started again so today we'll replace the thermostat.
i'm guessing that's the problem with mine...i tried removing the face of the thermostat and let it run and seemed to do better. I didnt have much time to troubleshoot further before i put the trailer away for the winter. I really wish we could just put a simple thermostat on these units...i think it would solve alot of issues people are having
Old 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Is the furnace control board in the same location as the control board for the A/C?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #32
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's what the deal is, there is a controler in the AC that gets the signal from the thermostat and then directs it to the AC, furnace or heat pump that's why it could be the problem. On the old units you could access it from inside the rig but on the whisper quiet models you need to access it from the roof. Since there's been ice and snow up there that's why we are going to replace it last if it comes to that. Once the controler in the AC unit sends the signal to the furnace then the furnace has it's own control board and along the way there is a self reseting fuse. The thermostat, AC control board, furnace control board and the self reseting fuse are all possibilities for issues like this. It's easier to diagnose when the weather is better because if we could run the AC and/or heat pump long enough to see if the problem happens with them also then we would be down to the thermostat or the AC control board as the problem but we werent able to do that so we took the most likely and then worked our way thru the ones I had a spare for. Since I don't have an AC control board and it's harder to get to, it's our last choice if replacing the thermostat today didn't do it.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:08 AM   #33
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Thank you DQDick for explaining the control signal flow path. For troubleshooting purposes, can i switch my bedroom tstat and the main unit tstat? Main unit has heat pump while 2nd unit does not. 2nd unit tstat doesnt have a heat pump mode of operation (cant remember if it has heat mode or not). I realize I would likely lose all heat operation by doing this, but my problem has been with A/C. By doing this I would think I could at least determine if tstat is, or is not my issue?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As per Dometic the thermostats are the same unless you have a model with a heat strip. If you change them the AC board should then allow the thermostat to show heat pump. That's how it worked with the new one they sent me. Marked CT STD on the box so I called them. They said don't worry and they were right.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #35
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Well the thermostat didn't solve the problem so it's on to the AC control board today.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #36
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Be careful on the roof. Can be slippery up there!
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #37
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
As per Dometic the thermostats are the same unless you have a model with a heat strip. If you change them the AC board should then allow the thermostat to show heat pump. That's how it worked with the new one they sent me. Marked CT STD on the box so I called them. They said don't worry and they were right.
I was wondering if a new tstat would invole some sort of programming on my end...so i guess the first thing im going to try is switch my tstats and see if the problem moves to the other a/c unit or not...I see you post about your tstat change didnt fix your issue...hope changing the ac board finally does...please continue to keep us posted