Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Question for the pros

I have had my mountaineer now for about 3 weeks. Only had one 3 day weekend in it so far.
I noticed everytime I go to dump I always have some water ready to pour out of the drain connection. Does water from the tanks collect or remain in the pipes between the drain connection and the valve and settle there as we drive?

Or could there be a small slow passing of water past the valve?
If anyone knows let me know as I will have it fixed if need be. I have an appointment at dealer 6/18 for these things.
I also discovered some poor instalation of awning slides yesterday but Camping World repaired them free. They did not do the original install Stiers RV Bakersfield did.

Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob, Could be the kitchen sink/galley water. Many of us have this, when you dump you think you have it all out, but there is a shallow slope to the pipe/drain, and some of the galley water does not come out, BUT, run er down the road and it flows forward, and then when we open the end cap, there is some water there.

Not sure if that is the same on a Mountaineer, or not, but, would suspect so, as so many of us have noticed this situation.

Since you are going in for warranty checks, I might add it to the list. That will get it on record that you have a concern there.

Good luck

Carol

DISCLAIMER: just cause we answered this, does not mean we consider oursleves PROS!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Not a Pro here either but, we have a 327RKS and it does the same thing. I am pretty sure it is what CountryGuy described. It's never been a whole lot so it hasnt given us much to worry about.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FLorida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Bob,
Because of the lenght of the pipe and the slight angle that it runs at, I feel that a little water sets in the pipe and then as we travel, it works to the lowest point.
I installed at valve in the 3" tube where we hook our hose to.
So if I have some water or a valve failure I won't get a surprise when I take the cap off.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also not a pro and we also installed the extra gate valve. If you get a cup or two of water, then it's likely what CountryGuy described. We have the same thing. If you get a lot more than that, then your gate valve for one of the tanks is not fully closing. Maybe someone else knows some other possibilities.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
One of the first things I learned from joining this forum was to add a gate valve near the end of the drain. It is the best suggestion and the easiest to do at very little cost. I don't know who posted it but I can't thank him enough.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Had my Mountaineer over to dealer to get a LP leak repaired and I wanted to know about my black water tank leaking through the shut off valve. He said it could be fixed but also recomended installing the gate valve at the end of the main drain pipe. I have one now and will be putting it on. Service manager said this problem has been going on for quite some time with differnt trailer models,it can be adjusted but said the gate valve is a sure and permanent fix
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:20 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I'm a pro, hee hee, just can't remember what kind I am! Some folks put the street side of the trailer on blocks when they dump to elevate the far side. Just drive it up on a couple of boards or elevator blocks. That tilts any extra stuff toward the valves. Maybe that will help. I would certainly recommended the gate valve as an immediate add-0n. Sure would keep you out of a mess, literally.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I winterized the end of May, see signature to understand. I have always had a small amount of water as described. I also added the extra valve at the cap. This time I was not "impatient" and left the valves open for a long time, half an hour. I found that I was impatient before when dumping. As stated the slope from the tanks to the discharge point is shallow and it takes a long time for all that water to drain out.
Hope this helps.
Good luck and be safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our extra gate valve is cemented in place, someone reported here that you can now get the kind that fits right to the existing end of the dump pipe, just push and turn just like the dump cap. It could then be left in place all the time.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
If you don't get one that fits to the end of the dump pipe that how are you fitting yours? Cutting the pipe and installing it and then the dump pipe cap where you twist and turn?
I like the idea of the one that twist and turns onto the present dump end. I need to find one of those. Will check with CW. Does anyone know how to adjust the gate valves on the trailer. No reason they should not work properly. Simple device.
The one at the dump pipe end in in my mind just good insurance in case one broke or vibrated open which shouldnt happen either.
Thanks
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I agree that it's just residual water in the galley line. I have a cap with a garden hose fitting on it, I just keep the garden hose cap a little loose and it drips the residual out.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Whatever the reason for the surprise when you open the cap, the outlet gate valve will be my solution.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, when I installed ours the new type were not available. I cut the dump pipe just behind the nipples, cemented on a sleeve over the pipe, then cemented the new gate valve inside the sleeve. It has the fitting for the cap on the end. End result was the dump pipe is a bit longer and has a permanent gate valve just before the cap. Had the new twist on been available I'd have gone that route. Camping World has it. Probably some RV Dealers have it or can get it.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...9&skunum=27868
Old 07-04-2005, 06:58 AM   #15
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Seems like the gate valve is the way to go. We havn't had our Monty very long but had that problem too. the extra gate valve from cw did the trick.
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote