Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question for trukdoc or anyone

I was recently told the Ford 6.0L PSD does not have a waste gate for the exhaust. Is that correct? If so, why is it not needed? Curious minds...
Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That sounds like a good question for www.flatratetech.com a Forum made up of auto/truck techs..it is a really good forum...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
No wastegate on the new 6.0 PSD. The variablevane turbo performs the function of pressure control. The bad side effect of this is the backpressure sometimes interferes with the intake air. It only happens when you release the excelerator suddenly. I understand it makes kind of belching sound.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, thanks for the link. Looks like a good site (did a very quick look). Bookmarked it and will check further when we get back from our day's sightseeing (trying to hurry as Vicki is almost ready to go).

Palebluedot, thanks for the info. I've never heard that belching but will now specifically listen for it. I expect my truck to be well-mannered and say 'excuse me' if it does that. Can't believe I really wrote that.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I thought that "belching sound" was the normal Ford sound!! Goes along with what Nostradamus is reported to have said: "...there will be machines creeping and crawling across the face of the earth, belching fire and smoke..."
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, Bob, now I feel like mine is missing something. What can I do to get that belching sound?

More seriously, yesterday, going up, down, around and around on mountain roads as well as flat roads I tried several times to get that belch but never heard it. Oh well.