Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Heat pump

1st time out in new Montana, when in heat pump mode is the fan suppose to run all night long and is the heat pump suppose to cycle on and off several times an hour?

Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Check the fan setting, with mine on AUTO the fan will not run full time unless it is close to lower forty's in temp. The compressor will cycle as required. Heat pumps become real iffy in upper 30's thru low 40's outside temperature. I also use the fireplace heat and the fan running distributes that thru coach.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My heat pump works kind of weird, but I've finally accepted it, that, tha'ts just the way it works.

I keep my setting in Auto Mode all the time. When flipping to heat pump, the AC-heat pump fan will turn on as will the compressor. After a while, when the thermometer reaches temperature, the fan and the compressor both jump into a "low run" type of mode. The fan still run on a lower speed, and the air moving through the ducts are still blowing warm. After a while, it will kick back up to high mode fan and you can hear the compressor kick on again.

However, if you lower the thermostat below the current room temperature, everything will shut off. But once the room cools to the setting, the heat pump and fan will kick back on.

I have noticed, if the heat pump is set on about 73 degrees, the temperature reading at the thermostat is about 69. And when setting it there, the heat pump will power up to full blow and the compressor will run full. It will eventually drop into "low gear" (sort of say), and then eventually turn off completely, until the thermometer reads the cooling temperature and the heat pump will do it all over again.

Now, if the heat pump is set on about 80-82, it will maintain a temperature at the thermostat of about 73-74. When it does that, it cycles between the high hear and low gear and seems to never shut off completely.

I hope this makes sense. I don't know if that is what yours is doing, kind of cycling between a high and low, but if it is, try lowering the thermostat temperature setting and see if it will cycle and finally shut off.

This is my first heat pump I've had on an RV and it's weird. I figure it's just the nature of the thing. Anyway, it's been consistent through 3 Fall and 2 Spring seasons now. And yes, when outside temperatures drop below 43, they just blow cold air. It' the nature of the animal.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote