Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #101
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekendall1@yahoo.com View Post
FWIW. Article I just read says a new diesel pickup should be worth 54.9 percent of it's original price in 5 years.
There are a lot of factors that play into that percentage. I was at the dealer and asked what my truck was worth to them in trade. After they checked it out he said 42k and then proceeded to apologize for the low offer explaining how trade ins don't value as high as selling private party. I didn't show my exitement over that number but was very happy with it. Having paid 59k out the door five years ago, it is holding value well.

I don't know but a new Cummins with over 1000 ft lbs torque is sounding better all the time.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #102
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
There are a lot of factors that play into that percentage. I was at the dealer and asked what my truck was worth to them in trade. After they checked it out he said 42k and then proceeded to apologize for the low offer explaining how trade ins don't value as high as selling private party. I didn't show my exitement over that number but was very happy with it. Having paid 59k out the door five years ago, it is holding value well.

I don't know but a new Cummins with over 1000 ft lbs torque is sounding better all the time.
Totally agree that the Diesels hold their value far better than a gas model.

However, I would not trust ANYTHING a dealer tells you verbally. If your actually looking for a new truck or camper use this process:
  1. Determine the exact model and specs you want.
  2. DO NOT MENTION YOUR TRADE OR FINANCING WHEN YOU TALK TO DEALERS AT THE START!! DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT YOUR PRICE RANGE IS!!
  3. Use commodity bid process and get the best price "out the door" with all fees figured in from at least 4 dealers. Make sure the dealers understand that you are looking at that many vendors and across state lines! Play them off each other by telling them that the other ones are lower!! At this point you have all the power.
  4. Once you get the best base price THEN you talk about the trade value. DO NOT MENTION FINANCING YET! Batter the trade value back and forth between the dealers just like you did on the base pricing.
  5. Once you get the very best deal on base price and the trade in THEN negotiate financing and make sure you do so with several institutions.
  6. Do not allow the dealership you choose to add in any "extras" like extended warranties, dealer prep of delivery costs as part of the process. Most warranties are not worth half of what the cost its just another way the dealerships can make money on the deal as the warranty companies give them a percentage commission.
Salesmen at car dealerships are taught the "four corners" sales negotiation tactic on day one. The four corners are:
  1. Base price
  2. Trade in allowance
  3. Financing
  4. Add in's.
At each step of the process the dealership has the potential to make money. Using the above negotiating method to circumvent their tactics. Three more things:
  • Do your research ahead of time and know what your trade in is worth (NADA) and also what the current market is for the make and model you are looking to buy.
  • Keep in mind that the dealership will try to "adjust" your trade in if they have to drop the base price on the new unit. That's part two of how they can make money. Also be aware that if your underwater on the loan on your current vehicle they may offer to inflate the out the door price of the new unit to compensate for their loss. That is usually not a good idea since you will be even more underwater on the new one!
  • DO NOT WALK INTO THE NEAREST DEALERSHIP AND THROW YOURSELF ON THEIR MERCY!!!! Those smiling faces and the BS mean NOTHING!!! Only what they put on paper.
Its a business transaction plain and simple, treat it as such. Your not there to make friends with anyone and trust me they are NOT your friends. Most importantly, remember that until you sign the bottom line you have all the power. You can walk out at any point. Be prepared to do so at any time the dealership is not willing to play ball on YOUR terms. Trust me nine times out of ten they will run out the door after you. Just make sure they understand you are dead serious about buying but that you will not negotiate on their terms.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #103
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Mtlakejim,

I concur for the most part. Buying a truck is a matter of negotiation. The dealer knows their bottom dollar and their job is to get as much over that as possible. I generally do not trade in a vehicle because it is an automatic loss of at least 3k. If you are quoted high on the trade in then you'll get less off the cost of the new one. Sell private party and go with cash. I've found that the lowest prices are found at Dennis Dillon. Their price is a good for a baseline for negotaiting with other dealers.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #104
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have an easy way of buying vehicles. A friend’s son in law is the general sales manager at our Ford dealer. I get it at invoice and he gives me what he can buy my vehicle for. Done.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #105
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don’t know how other states are. In Texas we have a 6.25% sales tax. But the trade in is deducted from the sales price before tax is calculated. So on a $25,000 trade in you save $1,562 in sales tax (6.25% of $25,000). So here, it would be better to pay $50,000 for the new truck with $25,000 for your trade-in than pay $45,000 for the new truck with $20,000 for your trade-in even though the difference in sale price is $25,000 both ways. Dealer gets the same amount so he doesn’t care.

I always ask the invoice price of the new truck. And they will typically show it after I tell them I pretty much already know in advance since it is available on nada.com, kbb.com, edmunds.com, etc. Then I ask what rebates and incentives are available. Again available on the web sites. And many dealers have a “value my trade” clicky on their web site. I do that and get their proposed value and print it out before going in. But I don’t tell the salesman. That value is likely much more than they will offer when you get down to talking trade.

So. Once they offer a price for theirs based on invoice minus rebates and incentives, if any. that I can agree to, I ask about the trade-in. When they give me a low ball number for my trade-in I hand them the printout from their own web site showing their stated value. That will bring a frown and some stuttering about how that was an estimate sight unseen. But since I adequately describe my vehicle for the estimate they have a very hard time explaining the difference. That is when I start waltzing toward the door. It is all an annoying but necessary game.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #106
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
Well I guess I’ll weigh in on this one too. Lol!
I started out with a 2017 f250 gas, we only had a 31’ travel trailer at the Time. When we bought the 3855br, 16900 GVWR we traded to a 2017 diesel f250. It handle it very well but it was over the trucks payload. So, I went on the hunt for a new 2019 f350 diesel SRW. I have a washer and dryer and I am just at the pay load of the truck. I wouldn’t change a thing. We just came out of Yosemite came trough Tioga pass like with no issues at all. I never once touched my brakes coming down the hill. The exhaust brake held it back perfectly.
So if you make sure your truck has the proper amount of pay load and is geared right and has an exhaust brake you shouldn’t need a dually. But I would for sure go with the diesel.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #107
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have an easy way of buying vehicles. A friend’s son in law is the general sales manager at our Ford dealer. I get it at invoice and he gives me what he can buy my vehicle for. Done.
Lynwood
If dealers sold vehicles at invoice they would be even richer than they are. Invoice is not their cost even though they make us believe it is. My local dealer told everyone, pick any truck and I'll sell it $500 under invoice. That tactic made them a lot of money.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #108
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
And the three best times to buy; good - last day of a month, better - last day of a quarter, best - last day of year. Dealer trying to make monthly, quarterly, and yearly sales numbers.
A fourth, if you don’t have to have the newest model year, is buy an end of model year, i.e. buy a 2020 just before or any time after the 2021s hit the lots when they are trying to clear inventory.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #109
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
If dealers sold vehicles at invoice they would be even richer than they are. Invoice is not their cost even though they make us believe it is. My local dealer told everyone, pick any truck and I'll sell it $500 under invoice. That tactic made them a lot of money.
That is due to “dealer hold back”. The manufacturer “holds back” and returns 2%-3% of the sticker (MSRP) of the vehicle depending on the model. So on a $50,000 MSRP vehicle the dealer gets $1,000 to $1,500 if he sells the vehicle for invoice price.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #110
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
On a 60k truck I wouldn't even think about buying until I'm near 10k under msrp. Invoice is of no use to me.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #111
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood

Quote:
He did not say it was the absolute best price. But rather implied it was very easy.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 AM   #112
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirvin0500 View Post
Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry it took so long to get back. Granted, our diesel was a 2005 F250, but the reasons we didn't like it had nothing to do with performance. Our issues were it was noisy, always smelled of diesel (duh), and was costly to maintain. For instance, an oil change (which included fuel filters) cost $140 vs. $30 for a gasser, two batteries to maintain and replace, etc. I completely understand torque/power. We plan to ful, time/part time. We will probably be gone 2-3 months at a time and travel from Alabama (where we live) across the country. It sounds like we really need a diesel even for the 373RD. From what I've read lately, the main difference between a F250 and a F350 (not talking dually) is the F350 has a beefier rear suspension.
Whats wrong with the 1 ton 7.3 if you're a Ford Driver? My nephew is an ASME Diesel mechanic. He has a 2019 F350 in his shop now . Fuel pump blew up contaminated the fuel system . 17,000.repair & can't get parts? I'll keep on dealing with my 6.4 Hemi Ram high rpms towing our 2021 295RL rather than going through the expense of owning a diesel.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #113
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
Whats wrong with the 1 ton 7.3 if you're a Ford Driver? My nephew is an ASME Diesel mechanic. He has a 2019 F350 in his shop now . Fuel pump blew up contaminated the fuel system . 17,000.repair & can't get parts? I'll keep on dealing with my 6.4 Hemi Ram high rpms towing our 2021 295RL rather than going through the expense of owning a diesel.
This is why" Ford 7.3 V8 - 430 hp, 475 lbft torque
Ford 6.7 Diesel - 474 hp, 1050 lbft torqe

To pull what you have and the least bit more, I want the torque. Yours will pull it down the road but will strain on hills and passing.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #114
Bill Austin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28613
HD Truck prices are not very negotiable right now. It is predicted that they will be selling for over sticker prices in the next few months. I was looking for an F350 Diesel DRW 4 wheel drive and there were 2 i the US that met my desired specs. I ordered a 2022 and will wait for it.
The negotiating tactics many mentioned dare good ones but only work when the supply is greater than the demand. I am a REALTOR and let me tell you houses in general are not going for less than asking prices, a majority go for more in a hand full of days to boot.
Est Deliveries: Trailer August & Truck October 2021
Bill Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #115
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Also if it hasn't been mentioned before - I went from a 2004 to 2012 Chevy 2500. Much quieter and no smell except when in regen and then just a little. And I think the newer ones are even quieter and more power. I went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed and that helped on hills, so what a boost to get a 10 speed! I have driven from Missoula to Vegas on I15 (is it right?) and put it in cruise and exhaust brake and only had to push the gas pedal once or twice and again once or twice had to touch the brakes. These new trucks are pretty amazing.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #116
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Yeah Tom, the new 2020/2021's are even more refined and quieter. The new 10 speed is amazing, along with the cameras, exhaust brake and everything else.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #117
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Just when you think these new trucks can’t get anywhere better they do every year.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote