Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Where on earth is my block heater?

'05 Ford 6.0 powerstroke diesel. I read on dieselmann's page that all 6.0's come with a block heater but only those in certain states come with the cord to plug it in. We bought in a state that is not listed as having the cord. Our selling dealer told us he was not aware they came with it, thought you have to order it. That was their service writer.

I can buy the cord but first want to make sure we have the block heater. Nowadays it's not easy to see up under the engine to the block. I know it should be in a location where a freeze plug would go but I can't find it. It's too darn cold to lay under there very long. I can't see to each of those locations and would have to do some feeling around but can't do that with a heavy coat on.

Anybody know where the block heater is on the '05 Ford 6.0? On our '03 the cord was on the passenger side of the grill so I assume it was on that side. I would think the '05 would be in the same location. I need to find where that cord would attach to before I spring for $60 for the cord. Don't want to buy it and then find out we don't have the block heater.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
Anybody know where the block heater is on the '05 Ford 6.0?
Thanks.
Steve,
Can't help you with the 05 but all of my trucks have always had it on the passenger side. My old Ford, my new Dodge and my husbands GMC all on the passenger side. My Dodge I can pop threw the grill my husbands GMC is up to high, almost on the top of the stuff under the hood. No way to fit threw the grill.

Can you pop the hood and looks on top of the stuff under there (sorry, but no easy way to describe it)

P.S. after being in the single digits yesterday, today is 41 degrees. HEAT WAVE
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Forget my post Steve, I thought you were looking for your plug. Silly me for trying to help a man huh!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Steve - don't count on them putting the heater plug in the same place. Mine is on the driver's side next to the fog light. Took me awhile to find it and of course I waited until it was COLD to look for it. Good Luck

Steve S
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Steve you started an interesting chain of events! First I checked the Dodge internet site and the specs for the 3500 Ram says ALL have engine block heaters as standard. Next I check the truck manual (now that's almost a first for me) and it said there should be a plug on the right hand side behind the headlamp. Then (in the cold!) I flip the hood and lo and behold there it is - hidden away with a neat little cover to disguise the little rascal.

Final (?) chapter - I can hear Diana on phone to our dealer asking them in no uncertain tones why they either don't have the time or don't have the gumption to explain these things to first time diesel owners. Glad I'm not on the other end of that conversation!

Would have been a good idea to plug in yesterday with the temperature (including windchill) at minus 37 celsius! Today is almost at freezing point - balmy warmth!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sue, on the GMC if You pull the wire out of the loom a little the wire can be fed low and come out through the opening in the bumper.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On my '03 it was on the passenger side, with plug tied up just behind the grill. After unstrapping it I could fish it out the grill and just let it hang slightly outside the grill for easy access.

This problem is a bit different (Sue, not so silly. Thanks for trying.) For '05 they say all have block heaters but the cords/plug are provided only for those delivered in certain states. We bought this one in Kansas, which is not listed as one to get the cord. It also said the rest of us have to buy the cord if we want to use the heater. I'm willing to do that if I figure out we really do have the heater. The selling dealer told me they don't think they have heaters unless ordered as an option. That I know was true for '04 and earlier. But I read about the '05s on Dieselmann's page, a highly respected source for Ford diesel information. I stopped at a Ford dealer this afternoon and the parts guy brought up a drawing showing where the heater would be. Unfortunately the picture is not very definitive other than it replaces one of the freeze plugs. It looked to me like it was near the flywheel which in this orientation would put it on the passenger side rear. But I'm not positive about that. Tonight's low is to be 13 with high tomorrow of 18 with windchills below zero. So I'll hold off on crawling under there again.

Thanks for the replies. If we get a decently tolerable day I'll crawl under there. When I looked before it's really hard to see anything under there. Lots of framework, cradles, and everything else they put in there these days. I probably will have to resort on the ol' feel around method to try to find it. If it's there I'll go get the cord.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Steve,
Got out the manaul tonite. Apparently not all Dodges are equipped either. "The engine block heater cord is a factory installed option. If your vehicle is not equipped, heater cords are available from your authorized Mopar dealer" Seems kinda dumb to me.

and.........

Here's what it says to do in EXTREMELY COLD WEATHER-"In extremely cold weather below zero F (-18C) it may be beneficial to cycle the manifold heaters TWICE before attempting to start the engine. This can be accomplished by turning the ignition OFF and then back ON after the WAIT TO START light has gone off, but before the engine is started."

Also, the Dodge manual suggests plugging in below 32 degrees.

Stay warm everyone.....
Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Steve,

I went to thedieselstop.com in the 6.0 section and did a search. The only thing I could find was the P/N number 5c32-6B018-AA.

Supposed to be for the 05 model.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Steve, I bet if you called a Ford dealer they could tell you exactly where it is located. Just a thought.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Steve seems to me that I read somewhere that it is located behind the filter on the pass. side. It can't be the oil filter since it's located on top.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:09 AM   #12
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Found it Steve,,, neighbor has one of those things...couldn't find his either.

You can't see the frost plug... a very wide cross member covers the frost plug.

The heater plug is ty wrapped up behind the lower bumper. The truck next door has fog lights and tow hooks. It's between them.

That is on the passenger side level with th top of the licence plate holder, about 12 inces over.

You have to lay on your back, you can't get your fingers in easy and cut the ty wrap... you then have no more then 12 inches of cord to play with.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:22 AM   #13
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Just found your photo Steve... right behind that verticle section of your bumper. The truck nex door has a tow hook out board and fog light inboard in the two holes. The plug was right between them.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, thanks everyone.

Gruffy, when Vicki gets home with the truck I'll look again. Supposedly mine was sold in a state where they don't provide the cord and I'd have to buy the cord (like Sue found out about her Dodge). But if the cord is only about a foot long then I'll look where you suggested and see if I can find where I would plug the cord into. I think it's really dumb to not supply the cord.

We're up to 14 degrees, a heat spell. The truck started just fine at 10F this morning but tomorrow it'll be 0F so we'll see how it starts then. I think I'll try the two-cycling of the glow plugs just for the extra heating time like someone else was talking about.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #15
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Great news Steve... if the cord is not installed, all you have to do is remove the motor mounts and tip the engine to the right. After you do that it will be a 50/50 chance you can get your hand in there and plug in a cord. There is a cross member about 12 inches wide in the way.

The truck we worked on was sold in Mississippi ... so... I hope you have the cord. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get some photos posted for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #16
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, the block heater was option 41H, you might check your original manifest to see if it had one installed. they were standard in Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minn., Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin & Wyoming ...
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grey-ghost, is that for the Ford? If so, I'll check that (sticker's out in the truck and, of course, it's 12F right now so I'm not real anxious to go find it. Or to crawl underneath. There will be a warmer day. I hope.

Gruffy, I've seen that cross member and figured if it's there then that's where it is. Come a warmer day I'll do some more searching. I had to run some errands today at 5 degrees F. Used the double cycle of the glow plugs. It started right up. Ran a little rough for a few seconds then smoothed out. Sure would like to find out if it has the heater though. We bought it in Kansas so it won't have the cord but I can buy that from Ford but want to make sure it has the heater first.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #18
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Like I said, if you have to buy the cord....better make a deal on "installed"...it sure doesn't look do-able at home.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think you're right about that, Gruffy.

Temperature hit 22F (but wind chill must be around zero) so I climbed into the insulated coveralls, pulled on my old coat and gloves, grabbed the flashlight and went exploring under the beast. There's definitely not a cord. I don't think there's a block heater but if there is it's in the area I can no way see into. I tried feeling around up there but didn't feel anything like I'd expect to find, although I really don't know what it would feel like anyhow. I may try emailing Ford customer service and see what they have to say.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #20
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
It's dark and spitting rain right now but I'll try to get a photo up tomorrow.... I wouldn't want to get run over by a riendeer while laying under the neighbors truck.