Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Strange Furnace Problem

We got back to our 2016 Montana 3661RL last night to find the furnace motor running. The furnace control was off, no heat coming through the registers, just the motor running. We decided to leave it run for awhile to see if it would stop. After about 20 min the running motor noise stopped and went to what my neighbor says sounds like the furnace ignitor trying to fire up the furnace. I'm on crutches, it was dark outside and raining so I pulled the 15 amp fuse to stop the furnace and we went to bed. This morning while looking at the control panel I see all the control panel LEDs for gray/black tank water level indicators are not working and the hot water power indicator on the electric switch is not lite and there is no hot water. Replacing the furnace 15 amp fuse got the hot water heater working and the control panel LEDs are working but the noise from the furnace is back. Any thoughts on all this? I'm a little miffed as to why pulling the furnace fuse I loose control panel LEDs and the hot water heater stops. Be safe out there!

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Just a guess, but is your thermostat set to auto or using program settings instead of just set to cool for ac or furnace when you want heat? John
Old 01-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
[quote]Originally posted by jcurtis934

Just a guess, but is your thermostat set to auto or using program settings instead of just set to cool for ac or furnace when you want heat? John
John..its a Dometic heat pump, cool, fan, furnace, off controller. You use one button to select one of the five modes, then using another button you select the temperature. In the past when the controller is in the off mode nothing comes on, no auto anything.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sounds similar to when an auto igniter fails to ignite and then there is a timed period that the fan will run even though the heater did not fire up. I had something similar to this in my 990 Arctic Foc camper. In that case it reacured only while camping, never at the dealership. I did some online research and finally replace the board. Problem was solved. Main difference is you say your system was completely shut off. Mine was when system was on and heat was required.

Tom Marty
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Are you hooked to 30A or 50A shore power?
The reason I ask is a friend had about the same issue over New Years, he was hooked to 30A service, water heater was on electric, his wife turned on the fireplace, did her hair before dinner.. Evidently tripped the pedestal breaker, they came back to nothing much working, furnace fan running but no heat. The batteries had run down to the point the furnace wouldn't light and the fan had turned their rig into a giant refrigerator. It was COLD in there.

Mark
Old 01-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Sohio
Established Member

M.O.C. #8596
Our 3791RD did the excat same thing. Every time it rained, or when I would wash the RV. Found out the mother board was getting wet and causing the problem. Ours was still under warranty so let the dealer deal with it. They installed a new board, and resealed the outside cover on the furnace, don't know if the problem is fixed as I've put mine up for the season, so guess I'll find out next year if it works right. I feel for you on the fuse panel, I pulled mine when it would be running and it would kill the hot water heater also.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
[quote]Originally posted by Dam Worker

Sounds similar to when an auto igniter fails to ignite and then there is a timed period that the fan will run even though the heater did not fire up. I had something similar to this in my 990 Arctic Foc camper. In that case it reacured only while camping, never at the dealership. I did some online research and finally replace the board. Problem was solved. Main difference is you say your system was completely shut off. Mine was when system was on and heat was required.

Tom Marty

Yep, all systems were shut off while we were out, came home and the furnace fan was running..strange. Today it stopped raining enough so I could remove the outside furnace cover and found practically everything was wet. I saw a red LED flashing, a relay clicking and the furnace fan trying to run but again the system controller indicated all systems were off. I turned the furnace off with the switch next to the furnace motor. I will try to dry the furnace compartment better when the rain stops. I don't understand why the hot water heater stopped working along with the control panel LEDs when I pulled the 12vdc 15 amp furnace fuse, that makes no sense to me.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
12vdc does control some functions on your water heater. That is how it operates when boon docking. 12vdc is required even when running on electric. If you trace everything out I'll bet you will find the 15 amp fuse you pulled supplies the thermostat, water heater controls, & tank indicators. Once the thermostat went dead the furnace turned off. Despite how they are labeled you probably have another 12vdc fuse for just the furnace. I think on my much older unit the fuse supplying 12volts to the furnace is a 20amp, but my unit is not here to verify that. Jim
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
krooozr

M.O.C. #20358
Did you ever figure out the cause of your problems???? I'm having the exact same problem with my 2017. Happened right after a heavy rain with wind....took the cover off, and the lower part of the circuit board was sitting in water, so I'm assuming something got shorted there.
krooozr is offline   Reply With Quote