Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Amazing these things hold together at all

Just returned from an 850 mile trip from north TX US 75/69/I-40 thru eastern OK, up to Eureka Springs, down to Petit Jean State Park, down to I-30 and back to TX. About half the roads were great. Many newly repaved and some even completely rebuilt. The other half will beat you to death. A stretch of 75 in TX heading toward the Red River has been terrible for years and just keeps getting worse. Many miles of 69 south of Eufaula has also been rough for many many years. But other parts that used to be bad have been repaired and are good. Much of I-40 has been rebuilt and is nice. But some is also pretty bad. Miles of nice newly repaved asphalt highway in Arkansas was very smooth. EXCEPT, about every half mile there would be a significant jolting "bump" that stretched completely across the highway. What is with that? They are rebuilding parts of I-30 between Little Rock and TX. Much of that is great. But there were also miles of seemingly newly rebuilt concrete highway that was like driving on a washboard. Constant thump, thump, thump.

Overall every thing survived, except my pocket door finally dropped down on the back. Had been drooping a little before and I had neglected to fix it. Now I will have to. But it is pretty amazing that things hold together as well as they do. Guess I can't complain too much.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I feel the same about I-65 anywhere in Indiana.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Any of us who haul any distance have experienced some bad bumps and crappy roads. It's a wonder the rolling earthquakes we live in don't require more work than they do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Agree with all the above. My hometown roads are like downtown Baghdad. Just returning from a trip to Franconia Notch NH, I will say the state of NH does a pretty good job of maintaining their roadways. Once in Mass. all bets are off.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Makes you wonder what they do with all that gas tax
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Around here they don't just build highways. They build artworks. Overpasses have decorative walls and support beams, often with imbeded images, and then painted in soft earthtone colors. Medians and sides have sometimes elaborate landscaping with many varieties of plants and with curved concrete edging. Little attempt to stretch the dollars. And then they complain about not having enough money for other highways. Now toll roads are being proposed and built all around the area to make us pay more for more roads. But those new roads don't ride any better than their predecessors.

Same with schools. Basic school buildings are no longer considered. Now they have to be elaborate showplaces with multi million dollar high tech athletic facilities. And they too complain about the lack of money to build additional schools needed due to overcrowding. And I doubt the kids learn any better in those showplaces than we did in our basic brick buildings of long ago.

Oops! Off my soapbox now.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I say it all the time. These are faux homes that take a lot of punishment. We never broken a glass or anything. When people complain I often explain its a wonder our cabinets stay in place. Been to NY and back several times. Highway 40 in New Mexico nearly killed us! I 80 across country is no walk in the park. Yet after all the punishment the Montana holds her own! I 5 in California has sections that polygrip can't hold! I think they are marvels of engineering after the abuse they get on the road!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I am amazed that "a trailer" built like a Montana can sustain only minor damage on our roads. I often wonder if Keystone really designs the "trailers" to be towed more than 5 miles to a lake! I have upgraded my suspension and constantly check it--only had 2 blow outs in 9 years towing about 6000 to 10000 miles a year. SO--the "trailer" part of the Montana is holding up well--not so for the furniture, etc. as many of us know. Still--not going to trade "UP" or "OUT". Got it this far and will just keep fixing and going! Enjoy the scenery even if the road makes it rough to look at.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We put a lot of miles on our Montana's. Installed IS suspension. Secure down all cabinets and doors. Strap down the Tv sets. Leave nothing laying around that could fall on the floor. We have still had lights fall off the ceiling .Fresca and trim fall off the walls. Screws pop out of fenders. Never travel with holding tanks even 1/2 full. Since May 0f 2006 and two Montana's I estimate at the minimum 85K miles towed all over the country. Many of our roads are nightmares and we have been on everyone of them. Just my opinion but these things any brand are not designed for the use that many of us high end users put them to.

Strange thing is that our truck is always right in front of the Montana's and nothing has ever fell off it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When stuff falls off the truck it's usually from under the hood and not a good thing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO the addition of the Mor Ryde Is suspension system is a huge help in keeping these things together particularly if you are a high end user. I understand the Mor Ryde is a option on some if not all Montana's and if you are a high end user I would seriously consider it. BTW our 06 3400 had the IS suspension and we did get our money back when we sold it in fact it was a huge selling point.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We have the Dexter EZ Flex installed which really helped a lot and I even think the LT tires make it run a little smoother. With the rear kitchen we do pay attention to where and how things are stowed. We still Velcro strap the cabinet doors and TV's even though they do stay shut pretty well. And I always build a door prop for the pocket door. The one I built now really locks the door in place and does not allow it to move at all..... Just don't trust screws to hold that door in the air as it gets slammed up and down going down the hwy...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #13
bfryman
Established Member

M.O.C. #15898
No doubt about it. We travelled down to Memphis last weekend and the last few miles of I-55 heading north out of Arkansas are some of the roughest we have travelled on. That stretch has been pretty bad for as long as I remember. They are rebuilding the southbound side now and will hopefully do the northbound lanes once that is finished. I really expected to see things moved around a lot in the Monty but when I checked all were good so maybe the ride was smoother there than in the truck :-).
bfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
rich2118
Established Member

M.O.C. #14290
I'm in the White Mountain National Forest area in New Hampshire now and my GPS took me down a real crappy 20 foot wide road that turned in to a dirt road. Fortunately, a resident passed by and informed me that there is a side road about 1/2 mile down the dirt road that is wide enough to turn around, so down the dirt road I went. I was able to turn my 3610 around and returned to the paved, crappy road. I'm in the middle of an approximate 3500 hundred mile trip and the rig is holding up pretty well. Had a couple of plastic light covers fall, but nothing major. Still enjoying my 2014 Monty.
rich2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 AM   #15
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Spent the day yesterday replacing screws that hold the aluminum in place under the Monty. In spots where the screws had torn through the metal I used fender washers when re-screwing the aluminum in place. One would think the factory would realize the stress that is placed on the unit where screws hold the aluminum in place and would have done a better job in securing the metal under the trailer. Mind you, does the factory really care? Probably not.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #16
Cstrick

M.O.C. #17759
Im thinking of getting a Keystone Montana 3625RE it has a Mor/ryde Hitch Pin is that what you are saying you should have with it? Thanks
Cstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cstrick

Im thinking of getting a Keystone Montana 3625RE it has a Mor/ryde Hitch Pin is that what you are saying you should have with it? Thanks
The Mor/ryde pin box is a shock absorbing pin box. The Dexter EZFlex suspension is an aftermarket add on for the rear suspension for older Montanas. But newer model Montanas come with various forms of Mor/ryde suspension systems.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
Fordplus5er
Established Member

M.O.C. #17346
There is a stretch of I26 coming into Johnson City, between Boones Creek and North Roan St, that I avoid like the plague! Even in the wife's Miata it will jar your teeth loose. It's like a concrete washboard. I think the deterioration of the interstate system in this country is a real shame. I think we pay around 18 cents tax per gallon nationally and another 20 cents on the state level. I would prefer our esteemed leaders cut waste and find the monies that way but I think we all know that aint gonna happen. Charge me five more cents for a gallon of gas but... PAVE THE DANG ROADS!!!
Fordplus5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #19
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

We have the Dexter EZ Flex installed which really helped a lot and I even think the LT tires make it run a little smoother. With the rear kitchen we do pay attention to where and how things are stowed. We still Velcro strap the cabinet doors and TV's even though they do stay shut pretty well. And I always build a door prop for the pocket door. The one I built now really locks the door in place and does not allow it to move at all..... Just don't trust screws to hold that door in the air as it gets slammed up and down going down the hwy...
Do you have a picture of the door prop you made? I'm using a rubber door stop right now, but not really happy with it.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:55 AM   #20
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A common phrase in our truck is "This would be a good place to build a road." Maybe it's the higher speeds, but the Interstates seem to be the worst roads for a bad ride. Having said that, the absolute worst paved road we've traveled was State Route 70 through Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Your teeth rattled at 15 mph.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote