Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #21
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimmer

Mike thanks for bring up this topic. I do not think I have this wiring on my 2014 3582RL but I am going to check tomorrow to see if I do. Good luck with your repair.
jonregrus...Excellent wisdom and advice. I shall contact the NTSB tomorrow a.m. Thank you again.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
UPDATED INFO & PICS:
I have added some more pictures and did some more investigation. I found the cause of the sheared 120V line, and posted pictures so you can see what is going on. The second group of 3 pictures follows the previous group of initial shots I took.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65547
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #23
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnregrus

A few years ago I took my 2007 Jayco Seneca motorhome to the dealer in Arizona for a warranty repair. Two weeks later while just sitting in the dealers lot waiting for parts it caught fire. It was not running and had not been touched for days. Lucky it was in the middle of the day on a work day and employees saw smoke and quickly put out the fire.

The dealer discovered that a battery cable was routed in such a way that it was pinched by the sliding battery tray. Jayco refused to pay to repair the damage and stated it was the owners responsibility to check the wiring in the unit to insure there was no problems. Jayco advised me to make an insurance claim. Of course I thought that was ridiculous and so did the dealer.

To make a long story short and with encouragement from the dealer I reported the problem to the NSTB (National Transport Safety Board) in Washington DC via email with pictures.

I've never seen a government agency act so fast. I got an email and subsequent phone call in under a week of my reporting to them. The NTSB investigator told me he was going to inspect other Jayco motorhomes located on the east coast and see if he could find any others with a similar defect. He emailed me and advised he had in fact found other units with the battery cable pinched.

Shortly thereafter the dealer called me and advised me Jayco has had a change of heart and they have authorized the dealer to repair my motorhome to the tune of $14,000.00.

Within another month or two Jayco issued a national safety recall covering the USA and Canada on all motorhomes that were same model as mine to inspect and reroute the battery cable.

I'm sure it cost Jayco a lot more than the $14,000 they refused to initially pay to fix mine.

Your problem is just as serious and could have involved loss of life if it had caught fire. I would not hesitate to report your problem to the NTSB as it may save someone else that fate.
I can't find a place on the NTSB website to file a complaint. I did call the National Highway Traffic Administration and filed a complaint. They do vehicle safety investigations.