Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops on a rally show and tell item

First, my apologies to anyone I may have misled on how I ran the wires for the indoor propane out indicator.

To the first several of you who looked at the propane out indicator I said I drilled up into the area below the dresser from the propane locker and ran the wires into the coach that way.

That was indeed my original plan. While trying to actually show this to someone who asked I discovered I had forgotten that I found an easier way. I actually ran the wires through the aft bulkhead in the propane locker along a drain pipe and up the pipe into the area below the vanity sink in the bathroom. From there I drilled and ran the wire into the area between vanity and dresser, then up the wall to the indicator.

Again, my apologies for screwing this up. Hopefully no serious harm was done.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:42 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Ohhhhhhh..... an indoor propane out indicator. I sure like that idea.
Thanks for the thought.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
Where might one purchase one of these?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Campers Choice is where I got ours and is the only place I've seen them. Every delivery has been within two business days. Here's the url

http://www.camperschoice.com/Product...owestprice=Yes

It sells for 35.95. Sure worth it to me.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Steve, I've gotta get one of those
Old 10-12-2004, 03:34 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One note - the regulator on our Montanas has a different number than is listed as working with the remote indicator. Before purchase I contacted Marshall and was assured it works fine with ours. And it does.

When you put the new cap on the regulator, be sure to push it down hard enough for the tabs to snap in place but not so hard you break the tabs. It wasn't hard on mine but I had been clued to that. It's sure nice to be able to tell when a tank is empty without having to run outside to check it all the time.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Okay, I'll be the dummy and ask, What is an "indoor propane out indicator"?

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That's what keeps you from waking up cold in the middle of the night.
It is mounted inside and has wires running to the propane regulator and will alert you when one tank is empty and the regulator has switched over to the other tank.
Did I get this right Steve?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
That's what it does. It's an indicator light that You can mount inside to let YOu know when there's an empty bottle and the valve has switched to the other.

I don't know about dummy, how about "informationally challenged"

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly
I don't know about dummy, how about "informationally challenged"

John

That's what I like about this board, no one is ever rude and their always looking for ways to make ya feel better when you ask dumb I mean Informationally challenged questions
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #11
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Sue the only dumb question is one you would like to know the answer to & don't ask it because you think it is a dumb question.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, you got it right. This link shows you what it looks like and I think, if I recall, it explains what it does.
http://www.camperschoice.com/Product...owestprice=Yes

It's probably not of much value to those who weekend and vacation in their Montanas but for those of us who fulltime or do extended travel, it's sure nice. I used to be paranoid about checking the regulator for the red flag every day or two. No more. Ours is mounted in the bedroom in a position that I can see it in the closet mirror, from downstairs. When the light starts flashing I then go outside and flip the regulator handle to the other tank and soon as I can go get the empty tank filled.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 AM   #13
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Steve,
I like the looks of the changeover monitor. Just a couple more questions since I'm also "informationally challenged". (Great term, John!)
How is the monitor powered? I couldn't discern a power cable in the picture. Also, do either the sensor or the monitor disconnect from the cable? Seems like if you have to drill, it would be a pretty big hole in order to slip the sensor through. Finally, you talked about replacing the cap. The sensor looks black in the picture. Does this mean that you can no longer look at the regulator directly to see if it's switched over?
Thanks,
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good questions.

1. The sensor is powered by batteries. We've had ours installed since January, 2003, and it's still on the original batteries. Since the 'trigger' to start the sensor flashing is mechanical, there's no battery power being used when it's not flashing, unless I misunderstand the electrical theory.

2. The cable and the cap are wired together in the propane compartment with wire nuts (all provided). So you need drill only a hole large enough for the cable.

3. The cap replaces the vinyl plastic black cap already on the regulator. You just remove it and replace it with the new plastic one. It snaps down in place. You can still see the green/red indicator on the regulator, same as before.

We recently returned from being away from our Montana for two weeks. I left the furnace set on 45 in case this area got a hard freeze while we were gone. The CG owner told me they had a couple nights down to 28 but no hard freeze. Still, I checked the regulator indicator itself just in case I ran out of propane on one tank and the remote indicator flashed long enough to kill the batteries. Just wanted to make sure.

I have the indicator mounted on the front (front of the rig) side of the wall that separates the dresser from the lavatory. In that position I can see the indicator flashing when I'm in the bedroom and also can see it reflected in the front closet mirror when I'm in the living room. I didn't plan it that way but don't tell anybody.