Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
Well what a week

We were returning from a race in St.Louis Monday and stopped at a Loves travel stop for fuel. As usual busy and packed. Managed to get into a auto fuel lane for fuel. Now here is where the fun starts. Wife is inside and I decide to move out of the way. Pull forward dodging all that are flying in and out. There were two pickups with motorcycle trailers that had pulled in next to me on the other side. On my blind side on the end of the windshield wash station was a pipe standing up about 24"and 3' out from it. Watching all that was around and making sure I did not his the MC trailers who were in my lane as well I had to really crank it once I cleared them. Soooo! the back of the unit as it swung around, which I knew I had cleared the wash tank caught the pipe by about 2" from the rear cap. It took out the rear cap inner wall and part of the side. It popped one side of the rear windows out. With large straps I managed to get it together with the help of duct tape and get to CW in Springfield . A lot of damage including roof. They did me right, along with insurance, new one will be here Tuesday to pickup. Took a hit but all in all they did me right. Would recommend them to anyone. 4th unit I have purchased from them with no issues. Was really sick over this incident. Had not had one problem with this Monty. Hope this one is as good. Next time I will set there until traffic clears. As another RV owner stated what the heck did they put that pipe there for. you could see others had hit it also. Well anyway so much for my week. Sure hope my new Monty is as good as the one I messed up. DW just now talking to me (ha ha )I think they are sending this one back to factory for repair. Bid was $20,000. plus. Just didn't want it after all that. They said about 2 months minimum for repairs also. Joe

Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OUCH!!! These service stations do things that the normal person would never do. Since it was the auto lane I'm presuming they did not want the autos to hit the wash station BUT...... Apparently it has done it's job but your problem and I assume others that have hit that barrier is not a good thing for the consumer!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Bummer, but things happen. Glad you've got it squared away. Plenty of us have done similar things, just ask the back bumper on my truck how I know
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Man, that sucks but glad it worked out for you. I can believe the two month wait. We had to have the front cap replaced on one of ours and it took about a month for the dealer to get the darn thing - and then it was the wrong one!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Surprised the damage was enough to total out at such a slow speed!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Exactly why I always use the truck lanes.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I don't use the truck lanes at Loves, but I do use the outside (end) pumps on the auto side.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
They did not total it. Camping World bought it off me on trade. Gave me max blue book plus. can not complain on the deal. Have always been treated fairly at this dealer.They have a good GM and a fairly good service department for a dealership. Best I have found in this area.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Surprised the damage was enough to total out at such a slow speed!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All that damage. It came apart like it was made of paper. Caught one of those small yellow pipes with the rear fender of the dually. Absolutely could not see it in the mirror and it got underneath the fender and shattered it like a cheap dish. Completely my fault as I did not check the surroundings.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Joe, You know where I live. Drinks are available. If the truck is in the driveway, I am home.....maybe....

Are you going to be able to keep the G614's from the old 2 month old one?

Bummer............................

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
Yes that was part of the deal. They are going to set up all the satellite and everything Monday or Tuesday. Sure could have used that drink last week. You were gone.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Joe, You know where I live. Drinks are available. If the truck is in the driveway, I am home.....maybe....

Are you going to be able to keep the G614's from the old 2 month old one?

Bummer............................

Jim
Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Glad to hear they worked with you,,, now get a pair of gloves and stay on the truck side when towing. I know I hate to go there too cause of all the spilled fuel and dirt. But unless it's a Flying J with good RV islands I stay in the truck lanes. Even some of the Flying J RV islands are tight. Just too much going on and no room to maneuver in the auto lanes with a 35-40 trailer, Even if you manage to clear the traffic, in a lot of cases you will have to jack your trailer around so it pivots on the tires which in my book is another no no.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I usually try to get there. These were all full also. It was just the wrong time of day to stop. Everything was full, trucks were waiting to fuel, went there first then to the auto lane. Should have just pulled over and waited 5 or 10 minutes for something to clear out but you know how it is.( a man thing, fuel and go ) Just didn't work this time. Expensive load of diesel. Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Glad to hear they worked with you,,, now get a pair of gloves and stay on the truck side when towing. I know I hate to go there too cause of all the spilled fuel and dirt. But unless it's a Flying J with good RV islands I stay in the truck lanes. Even some of the Flying J RV islands are tight. Just too much going on and no room to maneuver in the auto lanes with a 35-40 trailer, Even if you manage to clear the traffic, in a lot of cases you will have to jack your trailer around so it pivots on the tires which in my book is another no no.....
Old 06-22-2014, 03:23 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not find the truck fuel lanes all that dirty and nasty. We always have used gloves to fuel diesel as it smells bad anyhow. Trucks are IMO far more considerate to one another than Rv'ers are to one another. We have waited to fuel to get a space. We are in no hurry. Got a kick out of a trucker who saw us on the side waiting and said.. Go on in front of me how long will it take to get 30 gals of fuel at a flow of 20 gals per min. Our time fueling at a truck pump is maybe 2 mins, 5 mins total.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We do not find the truck fuel lanes all that dirty and nasty. We always have used gloves to fuel diesel as it smells bad anyhow.
What??? I love the smell of diesel in the morning. It smells like victory.

(Oops - wrong quote!)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I use the disposable gloves when fueling up at Loves or Pilots since you can hardly get the smell off your hands from fueling. Depending on the time of day it will take a little longer to fuel if a lot of trucks are in line. Easier to get in or out when fueling with the big trucks.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We do not find the truck fuel lanes all that dirty and nasty. We always have used gloves to fuel diesel as it smells bad anyhow.
What??? I love the smell of diesel in the morning. It smells like victory.

(Oops - wrong quote!)
The smell of kerosene , jet fuel, diesel has always made me ill. When I worked a Cleveland Hopkins airport I always tried to keep away from the planes. We got a 05 gasser because of the Diesel fuel smell. When they went to the lSD it had a better smell and I can handle that.