Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
GPS Devices

Has anyone tried one of the new GPS systems which are supposedly RV friendly? My TomTom frequently wants to put me onto roads not suitable for an RV, especially when going off the major highways.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have the new Rand from Camping World. We used it this month on a 1400 miles trip around Lake Michigan. I have ran numerous GPS systems on cars, trucks, and boats. This one is everything it claims and more. Very user friendly and free updates. On the trip I still ran my Garmin Nuvi and there were times the Rand wanted me on a different route. I also carry a trucker atlas but may not need to with this new Rand GPS.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We upgraded to the Garmin Dezl 760 a few months ago and the jury is still out on whether we like it or not. Like JandC, we've had numerous units over the last 7 years and have always stuck with Garmin as IMHO it has been the most user friendly brand. I love the huge display and it has been the best unit so far when pointing out traffic problems ahead, but some of the routes it wants to take us on in Truck/RV mode are kind of silly. In car mode it works just like our 1490T as for routes.

Garmin needs to get with Texas on speed limits as both units are frequently wrong there, but that's a mapping issue not a unit issue. In the 7 years of using GPS systems, Garmin has only got us miss directed a handful of times and at that nothing bad we couldn't drive out of easily.

The truck/rv mode did save our bacon on this last trip. We are 13'6" tall with our Sat Dish up there, measured, when hooked up to the Truck. I knew of a shorter route but didn't realize there was a bridge that was 13' on that route so the wife took it in her car and I took the route the Dezl wanted me to take. She called me and told me about the bridge. I do like the warnings it gives about sharp curves also, although some of them are just swurves in the road.

Over all, I like it, but I guess I was just expecting a little more.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have one of the original Rand McNally ones (before the Good Sam Model came out). Works great.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We use the Rand, RV model, so far it is right on, if you don't miss your turns. Sometimes the instructions are hard for a hillbilly to undestand
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
A year ago we purchased a Magellan RoadMate RV9145-LM - 7-Inch GPS Navigator for RVers.

Works great, includes lifetime free upgrades. A breeze finding points of interest and campgrounds.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
gilljr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13475
We have the new rv rand and are very satisfied, however once it put us terrible road, I now check it with Good Sam
gilljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Garman 465T.It has not let us down yet ever.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have Garmin Nuvi 1450 and it is wrong the MAJORITY of the time. It also has lifetime updates and as far as I'm concerned a waste of money. Gas stations that don't exist, turning the wrong way, the wrong route thru a major city to name a few things. Better to depend on your maps.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I Just might be a Garmin fan: I have a Nuvi 1450, Nuvi 765 with traffic alert, GPS Map276C (for my quad & APRS), GPS 60CSX, GPS 62s and one most of you will never have even heard of let along seen and that is a very old GPS II Plus, my first ever GPS bought for me by my DW.

The II plus runs 24/7 - 365 days a year and has done so for 5 years in it's current useage. I use it as part of a puzzle to find a geocache.

Besides being used on my Quad, when hauling the Monty the GPS Map276C is used to tell friends and family where I am using APRS - http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FVE7HD&time...3600&tail=3600

Traveling from the West coast of Canada through Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Montana and Idaho I have never had a problem with my Nuvi. They all use the same maps but I prefer the little 765 since it has traffic alert.

I use MapSource to program in waypoints that I want to be alerted to along our route and since I also Geocache I program those in as well.

Routing and being directed from one place to another has less to do with the make of the unit, than it does with the mapping and how much information it has and how up to date it is.

I also use Topo USA and Topo Canada when out in the wilds. Roads that once existed may not be there anymore, or are overgrown and not recognizable. There are also hundreds of trails and roads that are not shown, making it confusing for those who are inexperienced.

We should make ourselves very familiar with whatever unit we own, a tragic example of not doing so happened in Utah a couple of years ago. Common sense, must always prevail as no GPS will be correct all the time, and in fact can put you in danger. No one should follow a GPS in the back country that does not also have some orienteering skills.

One day I might try a Magellan or ?
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Irlpguy makes some excellent points about not blindly following your gps. I use it as a tool, but I already know ahead of time how I am going somewhere and just use the gps to help keep track of the turns, tell me how far to the next Pilot Fuel stop etc.

I've been a Garmin Guy for years and used the Garmin Road Trip software to create and input waypoints but last November I bought a Rand 7720 and have to say that after about 9,000 miles or so I am extremely happy with it.

The addition of AllStays data plus trucks stops and the next exit feature and weather radar are what make this my go to device when making traveling the interstate. I used to have to supplement the Garmin with the iPad for AllStays info and my Ford factory display for Weather Radar. Now I can get it all on one device. I still like the Garmin as a backup but now use the 7720 as my main unit.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I just ordered the new Garmin RV 760LMT and should get it in a week or so. Will give everyone my thoughts after I play with it a while. I think it is basicly the same unit as the Dezl 760 with RV goodies like camp ground and such.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We just purchased the Rand McNally GPS from Camping World we have used it on one trip and really like it so far. It allows you to keep track of the gallons and cost of diesel.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
We have the Rand McNally iPad app. Used it several time and just installed an iPad holder in the truck. Sits higher and to the passenger side of the on board nav system, map upgraded to the ford hasten are $200, costs less with the app and so far am very pleased with "Tom" the voice of the app!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve & Donna, if you haven't already, check the settings on your gps to see if it has a "bus" setting. My prior gps had that and it did a good job of routing. It also had a "truck" setting but that tended to take us on the rough, ugly truck routes. The bus setting would avoid the residential streets and other places not really suitable for towing a fifthwheel.

Also, check settings for "avoidances." I believe Garmin puts that in the Navigation settings. There I can tell it to avoid residential roads, toll roads, ferries, u-turns, unpaved roads, etc.

My Garmin Nuvi 1490T, unfortunately, does not have the bus setting. So I create the route on my computer and change it as desired before loading it to the Nuvi.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I've only had the Rand 7725 Good Sam for week. I've taken 1 weekend trip. Works great. Excepted my short cuts on some routes and recalculated with out much of a fuss. This GPS is loaded with options. It took about 8 hours to download all the updates. I took some new back roads and it showed the streets and roads. It was up to date. IT was easy to use and figure out. Very good programing system. I've got it down without reading the directions!!!!!
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote