Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Extended Warrantee

We want to purchase an extended warrantee and wonder what options are out there. We have an offer from our dealership, but would like to have a look at others. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we purchased our Montana in 2000, we purchased a seven-year extended warranty through our dealer who is very reputable. When the extended warranty expired (it paid for itself with almost twice the monies it cost us), we purhased Good Sam's Continuing Service Plan (CSP) at a cost of $56.00 a month. Now some will say that this is a waste of money. However, when a rig begins to get as old as ours, it pays to have the extra security of knowing that no repair will cost us more than $200.00. ACs, refrigerators, slide mechanisms, hydraulic systems, all cost a lot of money!

I'm sorry I don't have the info available for the original extended warranty company, but I believe the name of the company was DFS Extened Warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would also take a look at Good Sam coverage.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Well, we have always gone with extended service plans on big ticket items and did the same with our Montana...we purchased the Good Sam ESP (whick is about to expire in Feb). A couple of weeks ago when we took our Montana in to have the stabilizer jack motor replaced/repaired (the ESP said "all parts" of this item were covered), the Good Sam people instructed the folks at CW (where we had the Montana in for service) that the motor would not be covered since it had water damage...according to Good Sam, this was a matter of "owner neglect!" Now I don't know about anyone else, but I am not in the habit of dismantling electric motors to do some PM every now and them...in fact, if the thing (whatever it might be) is supposed to perform its function out in the elements, I will usually keep my PMing limited to the exterior of the "thing." As a matter of interest, we have not done any off-road driving with our Montana, so we have not towed it through any rivers or lakes, so the water must have entered the motor through poor construction of the motor???? While pondering this absurd situation since GS failed to live up to its advertised responsiblity, I had debated a couple of different actions...during this time, I discovered that I had a deductable of $200 for my particular ESP...given the deductable is more than what it cost me to have the motor repaired at CW (WHICH THEY DID SO WELL THAT THE MOTOR FUNCTIONS BETTER...faster...THAN IT DID PRIOR TO THIS INCIDENT), I have decided to make my displeasure with (NOT SO-)Good Sam ESP by not renewing it in Feb. The deductable, by the way, was not some surprise thing they popped on me after the fact, it was just one of those many things I have/had forgotten...my extreme displeasure with Good Sam ESP is that they have so badly failed in living up to their advertisements: I have one in front of me right now which was included with the most recent issue of Trailer Life mag and part of the advertisement says "...you'll sleep better knowing that if your rig breaks, you're shielded from the expense of fixing it." WHAT A JOKE...if you want extended coverage, you may want to consider a company that actually does what you have paid it to do...Good Sam ESP certainly was not that company for me.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks for the responses so far, Good Sam ESP is a non-issue as it is not available to Canadians.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I've had the ESP plan for about 10 years and only used it once. It did pay for the replacement mother board on my furnace, but would not pay for the other "shop charges" that the dealer added to the bill. We pay a little less than $300/year, so over the years, they have certainly made their money. I'm surprised to hear that they wouldn't pay for something based on CW's opinion. Puts one in the position of re-considering keeping it.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had one on the 06 Montana and it was well worth the Money.We purchased the Good Sam ESP for the New Big Sky. I would not be without one being a high user.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
We also use our Montana a lot, we have been on the road 6 months so far have 4 more months before we return home. I'm very glad that we have had this extended trip as it certainly has put our Monty through more wear and tear then many people would in a couple of years. We have had a few "issues" but all and all we are very pleased with our first Montana.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I've got FCCP (First Canadian Protection Plan) an Edmonton based firm that's been around for some time. I had it on my first 5th wheel as well and only had a small claim with them which was handled without any issues. I believe it's available from most RV dealers. A 6 year plan will run you around $3100 plus tax for a newer RV valued at about $60K. The cost will vary with the value of your RV and the level of coverage that you choose. I have the on-site service Ultimate plan.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks Moutard2 I'll have a look at that company.
Michael
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
The one we have on our 3400, is refundable for what ever don't use. The usage used is based on months used, not dollar amount used.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Hi Red939 What is the name of the company that you are insured with?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We want to purchase an extended warrantee and wonder what options are out there. We have an offer from our dealership, but would like to have a look at others. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

When we bought our first 3400, we got the United States Warranty Corporation's extended warranty through the dealer. When we bought our second 3400, normally the warranty isn't transferable, however, USWC transferred it to the new Monty for us, which I thought was very nice. Also, we recently used it for a failed stabilizer motor, and everything was handled with no problem. We even get the senior discount since we are over 60. At this point, we are satisfied with the USWC coverage. Don't know if it's available in Canada though. You'd have to call/email them. The websie is www.uswceagle.com

Hope this helps.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had Good Sam ESP Gold for three years and three days ago renewed for another year. We first got this coverage after all our other warranties ran out. To tell the truth, I kind of felt I was wasting my money and would be money ahead to put the same amount as the premium aside for future repairs.

Until this year, that thought would have been true as we had no claims prior to this year. However, this year our washing machine died. And then less than a month ago one of our landing gear had to be rebuilt and the other had to be totally replaced (brand new leg). After looking at the bills I can see that Good Sam's share was $300 to $400 more than the premiums I paid over the three years.

To me, going with an extended warranty or not is just rolling the dice. Either way you either win or you lose. Do what you're comfortable with.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote