Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
NIce Trip Completed

Well, we just finished a 3,000+ mile trip from MO, IL, IN, OH, WV, PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, AR, and back to MO in 24 days. Because of our retired military status, we primarily camped at military bases, including Wright-Patterson in OH; Lunga Park in Quantico, VA; Onslow Beach, NC; Parris Island, SC; Ft. Benning, GA/AL; Redstone Arsenal, AL; and the Navy Mid-South Facility in Millington, TN.

No vehicle issues and the 3750FL performed flawlessly. What a comfortable trip and towing this RV was so enjoyable. We only had one light rain day camping and driving. We went through one 1/2 hour downpour and that was it. Beautiful weather and fantastic camping.

Looking forward to our next trip, only we will slow down a little and enjoy fewer places for a longer period of time. We wanted to visit some of the Marine Corps bases that we were stationed at 35 to 41 years, ago.

Joe

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We have only stayed at two of those, Lunga and Onslow. We have stayed at several others. I'm glad they are there.

Lung is one of our favorite because of the vast space between rigs.

Onslo was kind of "tight."

Happy trails

Edited: Hope you did some reviews in the Military Park Reviews.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Wayne,
Out of all of them, Lunga was our favorite, because as you stated, vast space between rigs and being lake front. Second best was Uchee Creek (Ft. Benning). Nice spacing and services. Used the http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ site for all or our research and information. Great resource. Is this the same as Military Park Reviews?
Semper Fi,
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Joe,
Yes, I just didn't state the name correctly. Militery Park Reviews is what I meant.

I like "The Pines" area of Lung. We used to try for old site #2 now site #34 and it is a parallel paring spot. First time I had the 3400RL and it was a nice challenge but we got it in and were very glad to have that spot. No one around for 75 yards or more. Now that we have the SOB, we can pull straight in to #48 (I beleive) and our passenger side opens to a patio with a sloping sloping grassy area for 50 yards or more to the lake edge. Our view out the front is grassy area and then the picnic and tent area. We have also stayed in "New Cedar" but even though it is newer, it is not nearly as nice as "The Pines." One thing for sure in "The Pines." You have to have a long electrical cord, or an extension. Fortunate for me I mad a 25 foot extension last year and it came in handy for #48.

Next time in the FL area, try the Mayport NS. If you do decide give me a holler 'cause you may want to do a reverse set up (go in the opposite way to the site.) Also give Fort Meade a try. Nice park. Our favorite here in Texas is Fort Sam Houston, in San Antonio.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Captainjoe,

Be sure to check the FAMCAMP listing closely. You will find that the USN has upped their prices considerably...especially on the west coast (Seal Beach, Point Magu, etc.) We really like Point Magu because you are within a 100 yards of the Pacific, but at $37 a night, we had to limit our stays and forget about Seal Beach completely.

But, if you are in nothern California (Superior California), Beale AFB is still $15 a night for a full hookup. And they have a great commissary.

Hope to see you down the road.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! Don't forget the "hidden" spot on the West Coast.

The Coast Guard facility just North of San Fran. They only have 6 sites, but nice and peaceful.

Also, Whidbey Island has put in new sites and FHU's. I'll be their prices went up a little.