Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Sign on back of a Big Sky

A few days ago a Big Sky came into the Campground we are in. On the back, below the picture window is a sign in large bold blue letters, STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFUL and below that in smaller letters is US Navy Retired.

I have walked by that 5er many times during our daily walks and pondered what the folks in that unit are trying to say, and there are several possibilities. It might be a reference to him being in the Navy, or everyone other than himself, in general. It does strike me as odd. I do know that it has made me very hesitant to introduce myself and mention the MOC, that might part of what his complaint in life is...

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
If it were me I think I would go and ask him what it means. You never know it might already be a fellow MOCer. But then again sometimes a gut feeling is worth listening to.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That is an odd statement with lots of potential meanings. I have to wonder if it is a political statement, given the state of our economy the past year and a half.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
It might have been someone who has seen me try to stand up under the bedroom slide, as I have tried a few times without success. lol

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi All If it had Maine plates and was pulled by a Ford, it has been in our campground twice. He is a disabled vet that goes to the Togus VA frequently. Next time he is here I'll find out. Seems like an OK guy to talk to. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I would say it is probably in reference to the home mortgage/forclosure fiasco and the "stupid people" that took out sub prime loans and watched as their monthly mortgage payment doubled or tripled and the value of the house dropped 50%. So now, there is the taxpayers footing the bill for the Gub'mint's bail out plan for the "stupid people" which removes the pain part that should be felt by those who were able to get into a house that they probably couldn't afford even with the initial "low payment".

Either that, or, it could be about "stupid" dictators that think they can trample over neighboring countries without thinking about military reprisal from some allied forces dealing out some pain.

Now that you have our curiosity piqued, you absolutely must go over and find out what it's all about!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by foggyb

Hi All If it had Maine plates and was pulled by a Ford, it has been in our campground twice. He is a disabled vet that goes to the Togus VA frequently. Next time he is here I'll find out. Seems like an OK guy to talk to. Dan
Just a thought...
In all seriousness the answer could be explained above. If in fact it is the same disabled vet, the disability could be the result of some stupid action on his part causing his retirement.
Like I said "Just a thought"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by foggyb

Hi Dan, haven't seen you on here in awhile. Hi to Sandy for us. Awhile back I was looking at our website and ran across when we visited you and was wondering what you're up to. I assume you're back in Maine for the summer.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Ever heard "Here's your sign"? I think it covers pretty much the same ground including the political/financial/social areas.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
JIM, Sounds to me like he is referring to the recent hijacking and how stupid the hijackers are. The emphasis is probably placed on the word "Should"....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I googled STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFUL ther is a lot on this subject, it can mean about anything, you can but the bumper stickedr for $6. I think it is some kind of club.

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
IMHO, it's based on his experience in the military. Being retired from same after a 33 year career, I can tell you that a military mind runs very scared from the average willy-nilly civilian "can't make a decision" type. I know, that's not all of them and my limited experience on this site tells me our members are a cut WAY above the average. The University of Washington Professor who designed the Lk. Washington floating bridge was quoted, when the repair/worker bees left the sea doors open all week-end and it sank, "The capacity for stupidity is infinite" I've treasured that uote ever since.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFUL .. It is not that complicated. Me walking into the hitch of the 3400 when i knew it was right there and I should be alert, requiring 7 stitches in the lip is stupid and painful. Me not locking the side compartment hatch when it is on the departure check list and the door comes open in transit depositing stuff on the interstate..is stupid and painful.Me not making sure the grey tank is open and Helen yelling that she is ankle deep in water in he shower..is stupid and painful. The statement means that if you do stupid things you should pay the price..and we always do...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rich, I don't think doing something by accident is stupid. For example, forgetting to latch a compartment door isn't stupid, but knowingly not latching one is. Everyone forgets something sometime, and the older we get, the more we do it. Doesn't make us stupid - just means we have to be more careful!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, then, Rich, I'd say I've paid my fair share in pain. Maybe more. I can excel at stupid.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake"

That's what caused all my problems. A sudden and unexplained lack of mental awareness..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
OK I can't resist IMHO Ron White says it best: "You Can't Fix Stupid"
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
One of my favorite sayings is "Stupid should hurt." I picked it up off the Honda safety program for ATV safety. However I usually use it to mean that I have pulled my own share of bonehead moves. And yes I've hurt myself plenty of times and I should known better. I don't think it would have any reference to the retired Navy sticker. I work for the Air Force and feel that most people that stay long enough to retire don't have any real ill feelings for there choice of service. In fact most are very proud of it.
Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, how lucky I am. I have not done anything stupid or experienced any pain. My sentiments to you all who have experienced stupid because I cannot identify with it.
If you believe me, I hope you are experiencing some pain about right now. Ouch, it DOES hurt.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
"Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity."

Lazarus Long (Robert A. Heinlein)
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote