Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
First regen and first shackle plate replacement

Well on the way up to West Branch Mich. I was getting 14.5 mpg on the message computer then all of a sudden it started dropping slowly to 12.8 mpg. Correct me if I`m wrong but it seems that I had my first regeneration. Then after a while it started to creep back up and by the time we reached our destination we were back up to 13.7mpg. I didn`t do a correct reading by dividing gallons into miles. When I got home I checked the shackle plates and noticed a bit of wear when I took off the bolts and plates. It was just on the door side of the 5ver. The other side I took off the bolts and plates and they were still good as new. I bought a set at the local rv dealer awhile ago and replaced them yesterday.

mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have an 07 3500 Mega Cab with 16,000 miles and I'm sure I have gone thru several regens but have never been able to feel it or seen the mileage change.

Who knows, I love the truck and it tows our 3075 Tana like it wasn't even there.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It just like on about every tank of fuel you throw about 2 gals of Diesel away. Not sure about how much is wasted on each tank, have read its 2 gals or so. Point is GM along with others can and has disigned the Diesel engine to get good fuel mileage. However all the emission crap just waste fuel. I have never even thought of installing gadgets on my Trucks but I just may consider one to eliminate the DPF system and remove the filter. Am going to follow the Diesel Place and see how they are doing after they remove the DPF system. Several have already removed the system, however it does make your warranty void, but the warranty doesn't last forever. Its just a total waste of Diesel. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
All of these comments further justifies my decision to get the 2007 Classic Silverado before the emissions garbage was added. I tell DW "I told you so" each time she looks at one of the newer trucks. The new bells and whistles are nice however. One of these days I might even calculate the fuel mileage......Nahhhh, doesn't make any difference, the only thing that matters is when the fuel gets low, more goes in!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a 2007 Chevy Classic and had just about 10,000 miles when we sold our Cambridge the people who bought the 5er wanted the Truck also and I put a price on it and they took it and paid CASH for the total package. I might add that Keystone made a mistake in only making the Cambridge one year. Nothing in Keystone lines had the standard options of the Cambridge. Thats the only reason we haven't gotten the Big Sky, kinda waiting to get a few more of the Cambridge options. The only thing I would have changed whould have been I would have put 8,000 lbs axles and 17.5 tires, the Cambridge was heavy.

I haven't had any problems with the 2008 Chevy and it gets as good a fuel mileage as the 2007, however due to another Government mistake it waste 2 gals of fuel on each tank. I think its the best complete Truck that the General put on the road in many years. I base this on owning 5 Diesels with the Duramax/Allison. Its a awesome Truck.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Precisely the reason why I bought a 2006 at the end of the model year, knew the emission controls were coming and the price was going up. Kinda reminds me of the 70's and the introduction of unleaded fuel and catalytic converters. It took a number of years of consumer guinea pigs and dissapointing vehicles to get it all figured out.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just for the record we did have a 2007 Chevy Classic but the person who bought our 5th wheel wanted the Truck also, and I gave him a number, and he took it. We couldn't find a 2007 Classic equiped the way we wanted. So I located a 2008 Chevy equipped with all options except the Nav and DVD player. We also owned a 2005 GMC 2500HD, a 2005 GMC 3500 DRWs, 2006 Chevy Kodiak 4500, 2007 Chevy Classic and now a 2008 Chevy 3500. Considering all the Trucks we have owned, The 2008 Chevy 3500 is the best of all so for. Yes we am disappointed with the DPF system, and yes it waste fuel, we can thank the Tree Huggers for this garbage (DPF System). However the 2008 Chevy get as good a fuel as any DRW Truck we have owned. Even with wasting approx 2 gals of Diesel during the Regen process it still gets the same fuel mileage as my 2007 Chevy Classic. I had also gotten tired of the old interior and the 2008 has a awesome interior, and the best option is the IBC, it is silky smooth. Looking forward to 2010 Chevy 3500, and will get one if they are still making Diesel? GBY....
Old 07-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
OK, I'll let my ignorance get the best of me. What is this regeneration being discussed? Signature TV is my first diesel and it will be 1 year old on 11th and only has 9,400 miles on it.
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fiver Get You Ten

OK, I'll let my ignorance get the best of me. What is this regeneration being discussed? Signature TV is my first diesel and it will be 1 year old on 11th and only has 9,400 miles on it.
Thanks for all the help.
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote