Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I tow a quad trailer behind out 5er. It is legal in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Texas. We were followed by a CHP for about 20 miles one day and he didn't stop us so it must be legal there too. Washington is a no no and Oregon returned my email with a polite reminder that the fine would be $500 max. Needless to say I stay out of those two states.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
That is interesting that Oregon told you it was illegal since they have commercial rigs that tow 3 trailers! They look like a train going down the road. Can't remember if I saw triples with RVs or not. Since I don't plan to do that sort of thing I really don't pay much attention to it.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #23
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Predicating your towing legalities on what is in the "Truckers Road Atlas" might not be a good idea. In it it is assumed that you are going to be in excess of 25001 lbs and need a CDL with endorsements on it. It also assumes that, unlike some RV'ers, CDL holders have some idea how to handle their equipment. Just my thoughts on it.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I am from Eugene Oregon and I was down at Winchester Bay on the Oregon coast. While I was there a truck pulling triple from California pulled in. Truck, 5th wheel and about a 24ft tandem wheel trailer with quads. He made it from the California border on Hwy 101, about 100 miles, so maybe if your state says you can, you may tow triple in other states that have laws against it. Either that or he got lucky and didn't come on any cops from the border to Winchester Bay. Thats only the second time I have seen someone towing triple in Oregon.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #25
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Commercially you can tow triples in Oregon. Sounds like he has a CDL with triple indorsement.
I have a CDL triple endorsement but have never tried towing RV triples.Can't do it in California.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #26
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Big red, my friends who live in Winchester Bay keep telling me to tow it on over. They see 5ers with quad trailers behind all the time. It seems that a lot of people towing doubles in Oregon are lucky. I am not a lucky person so I haven't tried it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #27
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
A number of you are calling it triples. If you tow a trailer behind your trailer, you are towing doubles. You truck is a tractor and you have two trailers. When you see a truck towing triples they have a tractor and three trailers.

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We "triple towed" for years - (Sorry Mark, but thats what it is called even if it doesn't sound right).
(triple tow through Nebraska
)

Here is a link that lists several resource links for towing laws:
http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html

Limitations are by length and by numbers of individual vehicles, and it varies by State. Reciprocity was mentioned. The first link (towingworld) provides a list of states with reciprocity agreements, and Colorado is not one of them. We could not triple tow through many states.

We no longer tow the boat. The combined vehicle weight overloaded our truck towing capability, and the stress in turns was most likely more than those 10" I-beams on the Montana were ever designed to take. If the frame ever bent or broke welds in the crossmembers, we would have had a mess. However, that boat weighs a lot more that your cart. I'm not sure I would worry about a cart, or a motorcycle, or even a small boat, as long as the load was on a separate axle.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 AM   #29
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
If you decide to do it look under swivel wheel trailer and different sites will come up. These swivel wheel trailers are the way to go. We went to the Gettysburg Rally talked to the rep and he did say the swivel wheel trailer was the way to go to carry a motorcyle so the golf cart is no different. They start about $1800 to $3000.00 depending on a single or double wheel. I personally liked the double wheel trailer. At times you can find them on the net used for around $600.00. Have not went there yet. Would really like to see one in action. One day I will run across one in a campground and look it over. On these sites they say they have never had any issues and some say they do not need titled. Who knows? Once you buy it, it is yours to deal with registrations, titles, tags etc.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote