Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Blue Ox BedSaver Pin Lock - Install Update

Has anyone had any experience with this new product by Blue OX. Blue Ox has had a BedSaver for a while; but, only recently came out with another BedSaver product called the Pin Lock. It bolts onto your existing hitch and stops an accidentally released pin from dropping the RV on your TV. It bolts up around the hitch head and has a gravity weighted Pin Lock or Pin Gate that would catch the Pin should it come loose from the hitch. There is no difference in hitching up; but, when you unhitch you have to raise the RV a little higher to clear this Pin Lock/Gate before pulling away. I have found a good price at Draw-Tite Hitches and they currently have free shipping.

Has anyone used this new Pin Lock/Gate?

The Draw-Tite site does not have a very good picture of this Pin Lock; but, I have a .pdf file of the Operator/Installation Manual for their Model # BXR5100 for a Reese 16k slider that Blue Ox sent me tonight. If anyone is interested in looking at it just email me and I will send it to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well a lot of people have read this topic; but, I have not gotten any replies. So, I went ahead and bought one of these today from Draw-Tite. I should be getting it on the 27th. As soon as I install it I will post a follow-up as to how easy the install was, and what I think about it.

Buddy

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sounds neat, I think we were all waiting for someone to post a link, or picture.
I have the Bed saver, and it saved my Bacon and bed...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok I see that on the Blue Ox site. It would seem that if you have the pin lock that you would not need the bed saver however it looks as if both would fit but why would you want both???Need to know more??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Rich, I think you would want either but not both. I ordered the Pin Lock today because it seems more compact and it catches the pin closer to the hitch than the BedSaver does, and would put less stress on the hitch when a drop does occur. Also, the picture on the bottom right (yellow) on this website: http://www.blueox.us/BedSaver/bedsaver.htm is not exactly correct. If I knew how to put a picture or file here on the forum I would post the .pdf file that Blue Ox sent me of the current production model. If you would like a copy of the file just shoot me an email and I will send it to you.

Buddy
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks buddy I will E mail you. We have the bedsaver but am always looking for "space saving ideas.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
I have also purchased the Blue OX BXR5100 a few months ago for my Reese 16k slider.

Simple to install.

Looks like less space used behind hitch.

nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
On the Pin Lock, there have been times that I have had to pull out to re-engage for whatever reason. (usually backing skill!) The Pin Lock would mean that I would have to get out, raise the Hanna, pull away and then get out and lower the Hanna. I'm not sure if that would be the way to go. It's neat and compact, but in MY case not friendly.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is one of the things that is unknown.We will get a good evaluation when Buddy gets his.My guess is that when the pin is locked.it is locked and in correctly..We shall find out???
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yes, we will have to wait for some one to be the "tester."

The way I read the web site, it is counter weight loaded so that when the pin slides over it, the pin pushes the pin lock down to allow sliding access. Once past the point of no return, the counter weight drops and the only way to get the pin off is to raise the trailer.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Well folks, we will have to wait a few days longer for the evaluation. I received my Pin Lock this morning. When I tried to install it on my hitch there was an alignment problem between two mating pieces of the Pin Lock and I could not get it to align correctly to install the retention bolt. It looked like a welding jig may have slipped during fabrication causing it to be welded slightly out of place. I called Blue Ox and spoke with Denney. He is going to pull a new one out of inventory and check it out. He said if it checked out OK he would have the bad one picked up and would ship me the replacement. I am awaiting a return call from him to verify that he has shipped me the replacement.

Buddy
Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Buddy,
Is that a canter levered counter weight system? The pin on the trailer pushed the lever down and when past it, it swings back up and if the pin slips, catches it?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Wayne, yes that is exactly how it works. They say hitch-up procedure is no different; but, when you un-hitch you have to raise the pin high enough to clear the pin lock. I assume that as a alternative to raising the pin higher, before you pull the lever to release the hitch you could set something under the bottom of the canter levered counter weight so as to hold it down where it would be clear of the pin until you un-hitched.

Buddy
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Got a call back from Blue Ox this afternoon and they said they were shipping me a new Pin Lock. They didn't require me to send the bad one back first or anything. They did say when I received the replacement that there would be a pickup label in the box for Fed Ex to pickup the bad one.

As soon as I receive it and get it installed I'll post a follow-up.

Buddy
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Buddy,
That's what they make bungee cords for.

Thanks.

Edited: Drill a small hole and hook a bungee in it to hold it down if you need to pull out and back in again. (Just not quite centered)
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Update - Received a new Pin Lock from Blue Ox via Fed Ex this afternoon. It looks like it is OK. I will attempt to install it on my Reese 16k hitch tomorrow. I'll post a follow-up after I get it installed.

Buddy
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Installed - the Blue Ox Pin Lock this morning. It seems to fit very well and appears it will certainly catch the pin should it come loose from the hitch. The installation took a little longer than I thought it would. Probably an hour to an hour and a half. The Pin Lock basically hooks under the top lip on the hitch and wraps across the top and down the rear of the hitch. At the bottom rear of the hitch they use a piece of steel about 1 1/4 inches by 2 inches long with a square hole punched onto one end that you put a carriage bolt into and thru a hole in the bottom of the Pin Lock assembly. This clamps the bottom of the Pin Lock to the bottom lip of the hitch. This piece of steel tried to spin while the bolt was being tightened, more so since they use 1/2 inch lock nuts on the bolt. It was difficult to hold and keep from spinning during tightening. The only other problem I encountered was just that the Pin Lock assembly fit the hitch so tightly that it made the other two attaching bolts a little hard to line up into pre-drilled holes.

All in all it fits well and I think it should function as designed. I would recommend this as a solution to stopping the dropping of the RV on the TV should a hitch fail to latch up properly.

The problems I encountered is pertinent to my Reese 16k hitch and may not even be a problem with other hitch brands.

Buddy
Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Buddy,
One picture is worth a thousand questions I may have.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #18
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I tested my bed saver yesterday to show my better half how it worked. It did exactly what it should have done.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #19
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Rex, do you have the original Blue Ox Bedsaver, or the Blue Ox Pin Lock Bedsaver. I've been trying to find someone else that is using the Pin Lock.

Buddy
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rex,
You have more intestinal fortitude than I do!