Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Did you read the fine print on the Thetford paper roll?
Don't use in cold weather!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Did you read the fine print on the Thetford paper roll?
Don't use in cold weather!

Huh? Does that mean it will not decompose? OH S---t (shoot)
Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
After supper we discovered that nothing will drain into the gray tank. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The gray tank is empty. I'm getting really sick of this and I pray to God I never have to endure this again.
I love cold weather and I'm not having fun anymore.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #24
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, I will continue surgery tomorrow. I will be redoing the tank drain plumbing from the grey and black tanks to include a cleanout valve very close to the dump valves of each tank. I hope this will allow easy cleanout should this happen again.

I was told today by an RV supplier that Thetford sends American made TP to RV suppliers, and China made TP to KOA, Camping World, Wal-Mart, etc. He has heard of this China TP not being made to specks and not disolving. We did the TP water glass test and our TP just floated and clumped after about 60 minutes. I was told it should be broken down to small bits within 15 minutes. We checked, and out TP says it was maide in the America. Who knows.

I replaced the LP tank that I know had issues. We will see if we have improvements with heat and LP flow tonight.

Thank you all for helping Tammy to cope. This has helped me tremendously to focus on Elly Mae. I will keep you all posted - photos to follow.
Bernie
Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tammy/Bernie, What about Greg at Simmons? Arent't you still under warranty? Take it to him and spend a couple days with
Wally Hickel at The Captain Cook. I know it's a pain to move it now and move it back but it may be worth the trouble. Just a suggestion.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #26
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh yes, we are under warranty. The problem is that I do not WANT to move and stay in a hotel. I have 2 animals to contend with. Besides, the tank has backed up into the toilet so that there is less than an inch of available space remaining in the bowl. Bernie is just going to tear this thing apart and fix it. It's a big hassle and to say I am mad, is an understatement. But Bernie will do it right and it will be a one time repair. If it happens again, the clean out valve will be there and we can attack it from that angle.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You two are living in conditions that most of us, Us for sure, would never attempt and you are learning and surviving.We can not imagine the hardships that you are enduring. Your never give up attitude is a inspiration to many.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thanks Richfaa. I think at this point it's become a game and we are determined to win!!

Bernie is getting ready to proceed with surgery on Elly Mae. My head is still splitting. Funny, I feel a migraine coming on. But, I do have some good news. We had heat all night long! Hallelujah! No problems with the new LP tank, at least not yet. Please say a prayer for Bernie today while he's working in this freezing weather, laying on ice dealing with yuck.

Someone somewhere had mentioned using the toilet wand pressure sprayer to blow this mess out. Didn't work going down the conventional way. So, we put it up the dump line (under the belly) and sprayed it up into the tank to see if we could loosen things that way. Nope, but we managed to get the darn wand stuck. So, here's a lesson to all of us. Don't do that. Even if it sounds like a good idea. It's not........

I love cold weather and I might have fun later.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #29
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Good Luck Bernie, sounds like you need it.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #30
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thought I'd give y'all an update. After nearly 6 hours of non stop work, we have made NO PROGRESS........

I love cold weather and I'll have fun later.
Tammy
Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #31
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I hope you get out of where ever you are at soon and back to warm weather. Yes you do have a book to write for sure. Good luck on everything and get it working. I have to say one thing. I HATE COLD WEATHER AND IT AIN'T NO FUN AT ALL. You guys are Hardy for sure.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #32
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, we are giving up for the day. Day 3 if you are keeping track. Tomorrow Bernie is going to drop the belly and go at it from that angle. If we end up needing our dealer, they don't reopen till Tuesday...

At least we have heat...
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #33
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
WOW!!! I don't know what to say. I do know I would be saying a lot if we were having your problems. Maybe, you are getting all your bad luck out of the way for the next 10 years.

Hang in there we are all rooting for you guys.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #34
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

Thought I'd give y'all an update. After nearly 6 hours of non stop work, we have made NO PROGRESS........

I love cold weather and I'll have fun later.
Tammy
I didnt read all the post but what about a honny dipper comming over and sucking it out.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #35
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I don't know. Bernie is on the phone with his dad (5,000 miles away) seeing if he can get any more advice. I'll ask him about a honey dipper when he gets off the phone.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #36
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I know one thing. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the downspout when it breaks loose.

If it were me, I know I would have a crappy outlook on the whole situation.

I HATE THE COLD and anything below 70 degrees is freezing as far as I'm concerned.

I hope y'all get it fixed, and soon.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #37
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Y'all, I am now to the point of tears. I have been RV'ing for over a decade and Bernie for over 20 years. We have NEVER had this happen. It is absolutely disgusting - to say the least. We are absolutely convinced it is Thetford toilet paper that will not dissolve. When Bernie cut the plumbing out today (yes, literally cut it with a saw) we stuck heaters up the plumbing pipe and it's not frozen up there. I swear it. We hear the electronic valves opening and know that's working. Our grey tank (that shares the same line as the black tank) is working like a charm - after Bernie getting it unplugged last night. I am trying to be very patient and calm, but this is just vile. We will see if the heat continues to run tonight. To be honest, I'm not holding my breath for anything to work right anymore.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #38
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I just finished going through all your posts, Tammy and Bernie, and from here on I'll keep my mouth shut about my hot and cold water freezing here in Montana in my Montana. Your problems trump ours, hands down. On the bright side (yes, there is a bright side), you are lucky that you and Bernie are hands-on people and tackle what needs to be done without throwing up your hands and saying "I quit!" But on the not-so-bright side are the multiple problems you're experiencing. I know some of them are probably related to the cold temperatures where you are, but some of them seem to be non-weather related problems.

Before settling in where we are now, we did the Angel Soft vs. Thetford paper test because last summer I read a post about Angel Soft being a better product for campers. Wayne didn't believe me when I said we should abandon all the "especially for RV use" toilet paper, but the tissue-in-a-glass side by side comparison convinced him. (I love being right. Again. Over and over.)

Being cold and without conveniences is miserable, but you guys seem to be coping as well as trying to see the humor of your situation. I can also feel the aggravation seeping out between the lines of your posts, and I do feel your pain. Ulike you, however, I'm feeling it while sitting here quite toasty, knowing that I have 2 Porta-Potties about 25 feet from my door. They're covered in snow, and the doors are iced shut, but at least I can get in if I remember to take a screwdriver or icepick out with me so that I can break the ice holding the door closed.

I'll continue to watch for your posts and hope they soon turn to success stories. There's nothing worse than having so many things go wrong and having to work on them when your hands and feet are numb and you know you're probably not getting anywhere anyway. And--you're supposed to be having FUN, not headaches.

Tammy, I appreciate the humor apparent in the progress of your "I love cold weather and I'm having fun/I'll have fun later" commments. In spite of everything, you manage to maintain a sense of humor. I guess it's one of those "What else can you do situations," right? Things just have to get better--just hope they get better SOON.

Carolyn (and Wayne, who is hovering over me, not a good thing when I'm on the computer).

L to R below: Sweetie the Cat, a pheasant who comes to eat bird seed under the feeders, and a few of the birds who clean out the feeders a couple of times a day.

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #39
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Carolyn, you are just what I needed. We have ordered chinese supper to be delivered. Because quite frankly, after having our hands and heads stuck up black tanks for hours on end, I don't want to cook. Bernie and I were howling reading about you remembering to take an ice pick out with you so you can get in to use the bathroom. Oh, I needed to hear you!
We are going to have supper, make a couple of mojitos, sit down and watch TV. We do have bath house facilities and are able to use the potty there. But I want to use mine (I say as throwing a hissy fit and stomping my foot)!
Tomorrow is another day and I am determined to have fun!
Tammy
Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #40
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Tammy,

Doesn't the Black tank and the Grey tank have separate Gate valves, I know on our trailer, we have 3 gate valves.
I'm wondering if the Electric motor part of the valve has become separated from the actual gate valve itself.
Maybe you can still hear the motor but it's not opening the gate valve.
Just a thought.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote