Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
How many of you

I have a 05 3400rl and a 06 dodge 1 ton extended cab single, and have been contemplating puting a reciever hitch on back of rv to tow the 4-wheelers. How many of you are towing another unit behind your rv?? pros and cons
Allen in MT

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Some do it................most don't. It depends on a few things. First, you have to check total vehicle length regs in the states you plan to tow. Here in Colorado for example, total length limit is 70'. Also, do they all allow double towing. Most importantly, how heavy is your second trailer going to be fully loaded? The frames were not designed for much extra load added back there. If you pull your underbelly cover, and look at the frame rails of the Monty, you'll see why people get skittish. Also note the wide spacing on the Monty frame vs. a car or truck frame. Building an adequate hitch alone adds quite a bit of weight to the tail. I know people on this forum who did it on their earlier coaches, and have stopped doing it when they bought new ones. I think they attributed later mechanical problems to the double towing. Warranty coverage on the frame is compromised if you do it. I thought about it alot....in fact fully intended to do it to pull our boat when we bought our '05 2955RL. After I researched some, looked under my coach, and watched this site, I decided it wasn't for me. If I was doing it to pull just 1 motorcycle or 4 wheeler I might reconsider. That's my 2 1/2 cents worth.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Lippert has sent out a letter to the various 5th wheel builders who use their frames and it says in no uncertain terms that adding a hitch to the rear of their frames will void the warranty on the frame if there is any indication that the hitch caused additional stress, weight, etc., to be placed on the frame -- Saw the letter posted on SOB factory in Goshen last week when visiting there.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
My truck is older than yours but I do have a hitch installed on the trailer. I only pull a couple of quads on a light trailer so I am not worried about the extra weight or the 150# on tongue weight. We just carry less water.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote