Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #21
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
We have two sets of the Legos for our 23' travel trailer and have had to use some from the second set a couple times in State CGs. Also, we have had to use some under the stabilizers when we were on such a sloped site that the stabilizers wouldn't reach the ground. Husband always carries wood too that has come in handy on more than one occasion. So, it may depend on where you camp and the site you get as to whether you need the second set. We don't use them often but after one time not having them when we needed them it was a good enough reason for us to get the second set. If you always stay in private CGs (or the CGs you plan to camp at offer all fairly level sites), you may not find you will ever need a second set.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We got our Legos at WalMart...cheaper than CW.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Blue - did you ever think a thread would carry this long about Leggo's?

I did actually get mine at Wallmart now that you mention it, but have no idea what I paid (I never look, just close my eyes at the register). However - I don't use them under the landing gear or jacks. I'm afraid it will distort them because of weight on that big 5er and they won't fit back in the bag. I have some other pads I got at CW for that.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #24
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
We leveled in the fridge and then applied the torpedo levels for side and length once leveled.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used the "Lego" blocks for a while but found that pieces of 2X8 were much cheaper and tend to last much longer. With the Lego blocks, if situated on uneven ground, they have a tendency to crack. I used up two sets before I gave up. I see a lot of them in use, however. Even though I believe they are too narrow if you just line them up--two abreast would work best.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Brad ~ You're right about the thread length. But I'm GLAD it is. I'm learning a BUNCH.

My bride made me go to the gym tonight(Do the think she's trying to tell me something?) so I didnt get to go to Lowes to look at some 2"x8"s She has to go to Wallyworld tomorrow so I will see if she can find the leggos there and maybe cheaper.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #27
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Blue,

If you're getting your unit at Foley's, they used to give an extra discount on the day you pick your unit up. That's when we got stuff like the extra fantastic fan and maxivent covers, leveling accessories, etc. You might call and ask them about it?
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #28
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Yeah, I remember him telling me about that. I think he told me it was a $30.00 coupon or something like that.
I see a Hoppy Level in my future.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #29
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I am going to have to agree with ORV about the Lego's. I bought a set of 10 and the fancy carrying bag. I have cracked at least half of them while using them on uneven ground or gravel sights. If I had it to do over again I would spend the 30 bucks on some scrap 2x8 or 2x10's I rarely ever use the Lego's anymore because I have acquired a collection of wooden blocks to help level the trailer. Check with a local lumber yard they may have some green treated scraps they would just give you to use. I got mine from a friend who works where they get large loads of steel and the drivers always have a bunch of scraps between the different loads and want to get rid of them after the load is unloaded anyway.

And I mis spoke earlier as I have the Level Master level on the king pin as well.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:57 AM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bluegill,

I had to learn quickly how to do this too. At first, I found a site that I felt was real level. I checked the counters and floors at several different locations with a 4-foot level and modified the side-to-side and the fore and aft to match my level. As a double-check I used the small bubble level in the freezer.

After spending an evening in the 5-er (TONTOW) and being satisified with the way that level felt, I then installed the pinbox level from CW and adjusted the side bracket and front bubble so they showed level. At this point, if you want to add other bubble levels, this would be the time to do it.

The memory level by the switch for the front stabilizers is a great investment (about $5). It allows you to set the level at the height that you unhooked set, then after levelling for comfort and ready to hook up, it is a simple operation to raise/lower the legs to hook up at the same level.....gee, hope that all makes sense.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 AM   #31
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Robbie, My head is spinning now. I need to print that and re-read it over and over.

Gnaw, just kidding, that is some great info. Thanks.

However....(TONTOW) is a new one on me What is that ?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #32
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
When I level our Monty, I use a 2' level. I park the unit where I want and then go to the rear and hold the level on the rear window frame. I then raise the end of the level on the low side till the bubble is centered. By multiplying this by 4, I now know how much to raise the low side (eg - If I have to lift the one end of the level 3/4", I will have to raise the low side of the unit 3"). I set up the leggo blocks right beside the tires at the desired height and pull the unit forward ahead of the blocks.I move the blocks into position behind the tires and back the unit onto them. By using this method there is never any guesswork involved in how much blocking to put under the tires to level the unit side to side.

Brad is absolutely correct in saying that you want both landing gears hitting the ground at the same time. If not, the unit WILL twist. I set 18" 2 X 10's under the landing gears and then set the pins so that they are BOTH approx. 1/2" off the boards. Now you can lift the front end, disconnect from the tow vehicle and level front to back. Again I use the 2' level, holding it on the storage compartment frame as I raise or lower as required until level.

Last step is to lower the rear stabilizers. These are not meant to level the unit - just to provide support to the rear of the unit to reduce the bouncing motion when people are moving inside. I lower them onto 18" 2 X 10's and tighten till just snug.

I have checked levels at various locations inside the unit after this set-up and so far, this system has worked for me. I have checked for level after extending the slides and found no difference.

I don't know that this is the "right" way, but it works for me and it's all done in about 15 minutes.

Bruce
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #33
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bluegill,

License Plates:

Truck is LNRNGR
5er is TONTOW.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #34
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Robbie ~ Somedays I am as sharp as a bowling ball. Tontow..... I get it now... DUHHHHH. I read your sig after you last post.
That is purty U-Neek I must say.

Bruce ~ That is a neat little method you use. I sorta like that, it seems like it takes out alot of guess work. I think I'm gunna try that.

My bride went to the Builders Square today and bought a 2"x10"x10' and had them cut it up for her. She must of used her southern charm on the ole boy, B'cuz he didnt charge her to cut it.
It cost a whopping $8 and some change.

We head down tomorrow at high noon to start our own PDI.. and then at 3:00 the dealer will join us. If all goes well we will be sleeping like a baby in it tomorrow night. (Wednesday)
Old 11-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Blue, you will be happy and excited. But sleep like a baby on that Montana Mattress that might be stretching it just a little. Now with a 2 inch memory foam pad it's not bad. I bet the 2 of you are counting the hours. Glad you are not going out of the country and can now enjoy your new unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote