Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Fantastic Fan Placement in a 3400RL ?

I'm getting ready to order my 3400RL and I wanted to get a good feeling for where to put the Fantastic Fan.
Is the General consensus here to put it in the Bath Area only?
Would it be wise to get 2 of them? One in the Living area and one in the Bath Area? Or is that a waste of money?

If you have any other comments or suggestions about what you would have done different.. PLEASE feel free to advise. You wont hurt my feelings.

Thanks in Advance.
Blue

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Bellingham, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Cypress, Texas Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have a fantastic fan in the living area and because we had it in our TT and transferred it to the Montana we have a MaxxAir fan in the bathroom area. We would not be wthout either of them.

DiananColin
2005 3400RL
2004 Ram 3500 Quad
Laramie Turbo Diesel.

Whitby, Ontario. Canada
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our 3400 the fantastic fan is in the kitchen area sort of right over the doorway into the camper. Some folks have a second one in the bedroom area, we have the 2nd A/C there, of course the main A/C is in the rear of the camper. There is a exhaust fan in the bathroom and IMO there should also be one right outside the shower. My guess is that if you do not have the 2nd A/c the bedroom area would be a good choice for another Fantastic fan.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I will have the 2nd AC unit in the bedroom.
So, would it be advantageous to go ahead and have a Fan in the Bath area too?
I may be a little confused.

Blue

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0

Old 09-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Blue
Our FF is in the kitchen right before the steps to the bedroom. There is a vent right next to the shower we always open when showering unless it is really, really cold. Our unit is 2 years old and we lived in it the first 9 months. We do not have the 2nd AC. We have had no problems with this set up. This unit does not have the same condensation problems our previous unit did. BTW those first nine months tooks us from triple digits down to 20. We didn't do anything extra except run AC when it was hot and furnace when it was cold. A couple of mornings the CG pump (they were on well) froze but we did not.
Happy trails........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have an automatic/manual FF aft just over chairs and a manual on in the bedroom. Love both of them and find that we use the bedroom fan almost daily. We replaced the original water closet fan with a computer case fan, as suggested on a thread here a couple of years ago, and it works well.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 2nd A/C. The temps have been in the hi 90's and humidity to match here in Northeren, Ohio and we would have been Ok without it.To be honest we are glad we have the 2nd A/C, just in case but the 15.5 in the 3400 would have done the job..we have not yet needed to use the 13.5 in the bedroom..that is just us...

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a plain vent over my bedroom stairs next to my shower. My FF in the kitchen is rarely run - my A/C runs most of the time to dry the coach out. I also have the second A/C in the bedroom. I am seriously thinking of having a dealership switch the BR vent and the kitchen FF around, so that the FF is next to the shower. Keystone spent alot of ink warning of moisture/mold in these units. Showers really load moisture in the air. We keep the commode fan running, but the FF would be much better.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My FF is located in the kitchen vent. I would liked to have had a 2nd one installed in the vent next to my shower. I would not recommend putting one in the bedroom, once you use up that vent it is going to cost you some money to pull a FF out of there and install a 2nd a/c. I hate the loud vent fan in the watercloset. If you cannot have a FF installed in the vent right above the stairs, I would go for a 2nd one on the watercloset.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I pulled the Maxx air with thermostat-reversible, out of the previous Keystone Sprinter, and installed it at the head (Top) of the stairs, we always ran it on low, exhausting the air and cracked the vent open in the bathroom when showering. That does an amazing job of removing the moisture.
I really don't know if I will ever use the Fantastic Fan where it is, maybe. Time will tell. We have so much humidity around here, it's usually A/C time when warm. When we get to Colorado in a few weeks, maybe I'll use it then.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #11
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
4 vents 4 fans full vent fans.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave (Montana), I just went back and re-read my post and it occurred to me that I may not have described my "BR vent" clearly. I was talking about the vent right next to the shower. I have the 2nd A/C over the bed. The one next to the shower is the one I that is plain - no fan - that I would like to change out with my kitchen FF.

BTW, where are you at now?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
As far as I know, all new units come standard with one fantastic fan in the open area (kitchen), but I would strongly suggest that you get one installed directly up the stairs near the shower. I did and it sucks all the humidity from the shower out of the unit. As richfaa indicated, if you get a 2nd A/C in the bedroom, of course you won't be able to put one there but the shower area as far as I'm concerned is a must and it most definetely does the job! By the way, if I didn't get the 2nd A/C I would have gotten one in the bedroom also...thoses fans are FANTASTIC! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have our FF inbetween the shower stall and the water clost. Has done a really good job for us to remove the damp shower air and also helps circulate the air in the rest of the 3400RL as well. We have one AC and don't yet see the need for a 2nd AC or additional FF's.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thank you all. "Yall" for your input.
I went back down to the dealer to look at the floor plan again and to see where exactly everyone was talking about. The unit I looked in had a fan in the door way/kitchen area. I do believe I am going to go with the FF next to the shower area. It just seems to make more sense with the shower right there.

The other reason we went down to look at it again was to solidify our choice of color. (is that a good word to use? Solidify?)
I found some pics on the internet, but my DW really needed to see it in person.
We both like the Venetian Gold decor. So that will be our color of choice.

Thanks again.

Blue

Old 09-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave~

I figured that is what you were talking about, I just wanted to clarify for those members who may be new to rv's or the 3400RL floorplan. =)

Right now I am in Joliet, IL. Made the first 2400 miles without any trouble. Will be going over to Lippert on the 11th for a day, then back to Joliet until the rally. The week of the rally is getting close, see ya soon!

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #17
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I admit I'm a bit confused by some of the comments in this thread and would like to get some clarification from those who already have their Montys.

I had intended to go with the factory installed FF in the kitchen area of the 3400 for two reasons. One, if I recall correctly, that's at or near the high point of the living/dining/kitchen area--since hot air rises, that's the best point to evacuate the heat. Second, I figured to go with the OEM FF in this area because Montana can more easily run the wires from that fan down to the wall switch to control it--it stikes me that that would be a tough location to try to install a FF aftermarket. In hot and humid weather with the AC running, I might not run that fan much. But I could well envision warm, less humid conditions where that FF might be enough--or at least an easy way to evacuate built up heat in the Monty while the AC tries to pump in cooler air that will settle down towards the floor.

Am I missing something here so far?

As for the BR, I interpret some of the commments made as indicating an either/or choice between the 2d AC or an exhaust fan in the BR. Why not both? I figured to have the 2d AC prep put in but hold off on getting the 2d AC until I see whether I need it in the kind of circumstances I end up finding myself in. My understanding is that Montana does the AC prep in the vent closest to the BR closet. Doesn't that leave the vent near the shower as a possible location for another exhaust fan? I had been thinking of installing an exhaust fan in that vent to remove the moisture from using the shower, as SCOOBDO recommends. I can envision circumstances (e.g., in cooler temperatures) when I would want the exhaust fan there to remove shower moisture when it wouldn't make sense to use the AC. At the same time, under other circumstances (e.g., a really hot, humid summer), I might want to install and use the 2d AC in the other BR vent.

Is there any reason one can't have both the 2d AC and an exhaust fan in the BR? If it's possible to have both, what would be the arguments against having both?

Finally, if you do put an exhaust fan in the BR, what is the logical kind of fan to put there. My understanding is that the FF in the kitchen area is one of those expensive, rain-sensing fans that shuts off in the event of rain. I wouldn't think it would be necessary to put as expensive a fan in the BR if it's going to be primarily used to evacuate moisture. What would be a good choice of fan for that use? And would it make sense to put one of those Maxx Aire type hoods over it to keep out rain in the event one chose to leave the fan running overnight when the outside temps are dropping and the fan can keep the BR comfortable without running the AC?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi David and Jo-Anna,
I like the reversible speed controlled maxxAir fan, I installed it outside the door between the shower and the throne area. Pull power from the bathroom fan supply by taking the cowling down on both vents, you can fish the wires easily. I suggest the reversible one when choosing a fan.
When running it on exhaust for showering, and cracking the vent open a little in the bathroom, you rid the RV of the showering mist and don't effect the A/C or heat in the rest of the unit, it's just a wash.
I went ahead with the second A/C, as our travels to the desert S.W. should require it. I've never been to Palm Springs, or Death Valley, we want to be nice and comfy there.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/b19e2421.jpg

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David, different unit than you are talking about, but, some feedback anyway

In our unit the 2nd air would go over the bed.

In our unit we have in the potty room a small discharge fan, came from factory that way, noisy, ugh, Al replaced with computer fan thingy, still noisy and not much better on pulling out air from that little room. Rarely used!

In our unit, there is a ceiling vent right in front of the shower, mid coach (side to side mid coach). We installed a FF there, NOT the unit with water sensor stuff, just the ole fashioned turn it on as you need it FF. We use this one for shower dampness removal year round. We run it for a while after showers, then turn it off.

In our unit, the main A/C unit is mid living room. This has since been moved by Keystone.

In our unit there is another vent in the kitchen area (furthest to the back of the coach). In this vent we installed a Max Air fan. It is similar to the FF, but, the motor is OUTSIDE the unit and is quieter than our old FF was. I had FF in the prior TT right over my head in the kitchen and it was so loud it was annoying to the factor of 1000!! or more! It annoyed me so much, I could not stand to use it. Since then, newer FFs are more quiet, the one in our shower area, is a bit more quiet than our old one was, but, I personally still find distracting. We use the Max aire fan in the kitchen area in the spring and fall a lot, not so much in the summer. We do keep that vent open about 1/4 inch in spring and fall, even it if is not running, it helps to keep moisture down just being open and adds to the comfort level of the coach. Helps to control the ole condensation situation.

I like the Max aire better, but the FF does do a good job of getting humid shower air out of the coach. And, it was cheaper than another Max aire unit.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David
Your thinking sounds okay to me. Different units have things in different places. We use the FF in the kitchen a lot when cooking. It is much quieter than the fan on the hood over the stove. We have had no problems with moisture from showers. We open the vent by the shower. We have the set up for 2nd AC and do not plan on using it. Ozz may want to see Palm Springs and Death Valley but if he is smart (and I think he is), he'll go to those areas in the winter and there will not be a need for 2nd AC. However, the desert heat is a dry heat. We rarely have humidity. Even in triple digits the one AC cooks the Monty down very well.

Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote