Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
About to purchase

This is my first post and definitely have the Montana Fever.. I currently have a 2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 32' which I wish to sell at this moment.. Anyone have recs. on selling local or online ??

Thinking about the 3295 or close proximity in size. Any advice ?

I am driving a Chevy 2500 HD w/ duramax and Ride Rite bags newly installed.

Also any members know of preferred dealers in this area ?

Michael
Greenbrier, AR

Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Hi Michael,

We have the 3295 and love it. It's an '03 and it has lots of room. There's all kinds of room for the critters to join you if you have them. I don't know what year you're looking at, but get the fireplace!!!!
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The 3295RK has the heaviest kingpin weight of the Montana's on the market. Since you already have the airbags that will help solve some of the weight up front. The biggest thing to watch with this unit is the amount of weight you will have on the rear axle. It can be easily overloaded if not cautious. There has been much debate about 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton trucks within the group. If you do a search on that very topic I am sure you will get some great information and many opinions as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the MOC. We also had a Wilderness 5th wheel. It was a Advantage 2555RL It was a very nice unit but too small.
We only had it for just over one year, then traded it in on a 2980RL Montana. That was our 3rd Fleetwood RV, never had a real problem with any of them. We really enjoy or new Montana, a real step up. Just a total different feeling.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Montana_1925
Established Member

M.O.C. #1925
We have a 2001 3280 with 3 slides we are going to sell if you are interested. It's in great shape except for a few scapes here and there. We have replaced the chairs with Lazy Boy recliners, bought a wonderful 'real' mattress and redone the dining room chairs. It has a new roof and new tires. We love it, but it's too big for us. I would recommend the 3280 for anyone. We are in the St. Louis area. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Montana_1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Have done a lot of extensive research on the 3/4 ton chevy's, Fords, etc.. The Chevy 2500 4WD, diesel w/ crew cab has has a total 5th wheel rate rating of 14,200k whereas the 1k Ford and Chevy's are 15k. Drop off the 4 WD and each increases nearly 1 k.

Drop off the extra tire on the dually's and all are nearly the same
Thanks for the notice of the pin weight for the 3295's as this may affect my decision of which to buy. I absolutely never carry any water when travelling.

I love the floor plan of the 3400RL but wife and I are in a discussion about the size.

The problem I have with the 2001 Wilderness is the front end. Definitely flat and no cap. It's like pulling a huge umbrella down the highway. Have only had a few minor things wrong with it but it has served me well. Also prefer the center door entrance on the Montana's vs. the rear on the Wilderness.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

The 3295RK has the heaviest kingpin weight of the Montana's on the market. Since you already have the airbags that will help solve some of the weight up front. The biggest thing to watch with this unit is the amount of weight you will have on the rear axle. It can be easily overloaded if not cautious. There has been much debate about 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton trucks within the group. If you do a search on that very topic I am sure you will get some great information and many opinions as well.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
MP Ray you go talking about the 3400RL and you are going to get more positive responses than you can handle.
Size doesn't matter.My wife struggled with the length thing for a long time wanting the shorter models. She was afraid I would not be able to handle all that going down the road or parking it. Just get her on the inside and not to worry about the outside. Besides what is a couple of feet. I didn't have a bit of trouble adapting to the extra couple of feet back there.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I am not sure about Montana's with a center door, but our last trailer (Sportsmen by KZ) had a center door and the awning had to be up pretty high all the time to allow the door to open. We couldn't leave one side of the awning down to allow rain water runoff without the door rubbing the awning when used. Maybe the Montana's are mounted up a little higher and can still be tilted a fair amount without bothering the door. But after water pooling on the awning a few times we decided we didn't want a door over the center of the awning again. my$.02
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
We picked up a 3295RK last fall and really love it. It is a heavy pin weight, but I found it pulled really nice. the one thing i would have done different was to get a queen bed instead of the king. The king makes it a bit tight when you want to get into the front closet.
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the Terry 29R which was actually 32.6 inches long.We ordered the 3400 Rl which is actually 39.1 inches long. However a portion of the Fifth wheel is in the bed of the truck so you do not have all 39feet 1 inch of the camper in back of the truck. I am sure that if you measured from the rear bumper of your 32 Wilderness to the rear bumper of your truck it will be longer than 32 feet, I would say 35 feet +.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mp-ray,
I would not let the size of the 3400RL steer you away from that floor plan. I have had my 3400RL since April of 2004 and so far have only had 2 campgrounds tell me they could not handle a coach of that size. It was not so much the length as it was the 4 slides, their spots were not all that wide. If you call ahead when making reservations and let the campground know you have a coach that is 39'6" and has 3 slides on one side and a super slide on the other, they will let you know right there on the phone if they can handle your coach. If you do alot of state and national parks camping then you are going to have some trouble with any unit much bigger than 30'. These parks are older and were not built to handle such large 5th wheels and motorhomes. Best of luck on your floorplan decision, I do not think any of the Montana's will let you down.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Well after having the wife reading these latest posts, I think I have her sold on the 3400RL.

If I am not mistaken, will the 2007's be out soon ?? If so I can assume that they will be a good bit pricier that the 2006's ? Also should I expect any different in price for the 2006 when the 2007's come around ??
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
IMHO, I would imagine the '07s will be pricier than the '06 are/were. You might want to get familiar with the different options to see which has more of what you want.

We bought our 3295 in Aug/Sept. of 03. It's been a tough decision, but we will probably be listing ours for sale soon.
Kalamity
Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
So you are selling the 03 3295 because of ??

My thoughts are if I buy the 06 in Aug or Sept. it will be a year old before I drive it off the lot. However if I buy the 3400 like I want, we do plan to hang onto it for awhile.. I am understanding how fast any of them depreciate but already 1 year before buying ?? Is my thinking pattern a little off here or do y'all agree ??

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kalamity

IMHO, I would imagine the '07s will be pricier than the '06 are/were. You might want to get familiar with the different options to see which has more of what you want.

We bought our 3295 in Aug/Sept. of 03. It's been a tough decision, but we will probably be listing ours for sale soon.
Kalamity
Old 04-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
I have a 35 ft. gaarage for the current camper and it is covered about 1 ft +/- on each end so the total length is about 32 ft.

I noticed in another post that you were ordering a 3400 ?? Are you having another AC installed ?? The single AC isn't enough? I noticed at most of the Montana's I see on the street seem to have only 1 ac regardless of length.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We had the Terry 29R which was actually 32.6 inches long.We ordered the 3400 Rl which is actually 39.1 inches long. However a portion of the Fifth wheel is in the bed of the truck so you do not have all 39feet 1 inch of the camper in back of the truck. I am sure that if you measured from the rear bumper of your 32 Wilderness to the rear bumper of your truck it will be longer than 32 feet, I would say 35 feet +.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #16
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
About a year ago we were considered selling it. Some here might recall that. My husband's health isn't good and he ended up having yet another by-pass last month (and he's a stroke survivor). We haven't decided on a price yet, but will probably do so this week. It's been an extremely difficult decision because we absolutely love our rig, but I had surgery in November, December & January so I think it's going to be too much for me to do the majority of the tasks associated with it. It's a beautiful fiver complete with satillite dish and fireplace. We will truly miss it.
Kalamity
Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
mp-ray
We have a 3400 and only one AC. We have been in 100+ weather and have not seen the need for the second AC. I guess it depends on your comfort level and the humidity. We run fans in the summer. We plan to spend our summers in places where a second AC would not be necessary.
Happy trails...................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just had the 2nd a/c installed two weeks ago in my 3400RL. The temps where I spend the summer run anywhere from mid 80's up into the low 100's. One a/c just was not able to keep the coach cool enough when the temps got over 90 degrees.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
The dish is attached to the camper ?? If so, where did you purchase it ? I have a dish now but on a tripod and have to hunt for the satellite manually.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kalamity

About a year ago we were considered selling it. Some here might recall that. My husband's health isn't good and he ended up having yet another by-pass last month (and he's a stroke survivor). We haven't decided on a price yet, but will probably do so this week. It's been an extremely difficult decision because we absolutely love our rig, but I had surgery in November, December & January so I think it's going to be too much for me to do the majority of the tasks associated with it. It's a beautiful fiver complete with satillite dish and fireplace. We will truly miss it.
Kalamity
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #20
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I'm not sure I am sold on the dish attached to the coach. I have one that I set up on a small tripod and use the compass and signal meter to bring in. The thing about it being mounted that I don't like is sometimes your camp site might have trees (a lot of them do where we camp) and I need to be able to relocate the dish to get a clear view of the sky. I carry about 50 ft of cable for this purpose.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote