Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
How do you make it dark enough?

We are about 3 weeks away from the Mountaineer..

What I am wondering.. our current unit did not have the day/night shades...

will the new unit with the day/night shades be dark enough during the bright morning hours in the bunk house for the boys?

If now, what can one do to make it darker?

Thanks!!

John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
You can purchase some of the reflective bubble wrap from Camping World. It is made to reflect the sunlight and keep your coach cooler, but if you cut to fit the entire window it will keep things pretty dark. The day night shades on my coach have done a really good job for me. I used to work the 2pm - 12am(midnight) shift, bed time was around 3am and wake up call was usually right around noon. I have not had any trouble sleeping during the daylight hours with my night shades down. Have had trouble with the sun coming in the skylight in the shower, pulled the privacy curtain closed just enough that I could not see the shower. Solved the problem so far. Enjoy your new coach when it finally arrives...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John Young

will the new unit with the day/night shades be dark enough during the bright morning hours in the bunk house for the boys?

Thanks!!
Yes, I believe you'll be happy with the day/night shades. We've had ours in our rig for almost six years of full timing and have been very satisfied with the way they work. During the day they leave light in and cut down on any direct sun glare, while at night and in the early morning, they block out any outside lights and the dawning of the new day.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
you can always add dark dark limo tint to inside of the windows to make it even darker.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
My older son can sleep until noon - give you an idea of how well the day night shades work? lol
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John Young

We are about 3 weeks away from the Mountaineer..

What I am wondering.. our current unit did not have the day/night shades...

If now, what can one do to make it darker?

Thanks!!
John, We used velcro to hang a terrycloth towel across the door window and also have a 1' x 1' what I think is a table cloth placemat that is also velcro'd on the inside of the skylight. These are the 2 areas that day/night shades don't cover and how we've taken care of 'em.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
In our old MH, I made skylight covers from some room-darkening, heat reflective fabric I purchased at Hancock Fabrics. Put it up with tension rods. They worked quite well, keeping the coach cooler in the summer and darker at night.

Mary
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Well...I personally don't think is makes any difference whether you have day/night shades or not. I have an alarm clock that I can't turn off. So, when the sun comes up, our 7-pound long-haired chihuahua is right in my face ready for his morning walk.

I will say that when Carol beats me up (oops, arises before me) and does the walking, I can sleep quite comfortably with the day/night shades. I think you will also.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing to keep in mind... At night people outside will be able to see into the coach when the day shade is down but the night shade is up. It amazes how many people in a campground don't figure this out. Or maybe they are trying to create some excitement...

We find the day/night shades plenty dark for sleeping. When hit by direct sunlight they will allow some light in but it's never enough to be a problem for us. Some folks like absolute darkness and they will need to find some way to darken it more.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
From what I have seen with our kids is it does not matter if it is dark or sunny.
They will sleep till noon anyway, unless you try to wake them up! [:P]

Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
John ... if you find that the night shades do not keep out enough light for your boys, an easy and inexpensive "fix" would be to buy a couple of sheets of the foam poster board from Walmart and cut them so that all you have to do is slide them between the window and the shade. We also use this method for times when we are parked so that we get the hot afternoon sun and the night shade alone can't keep out the heat ... amazing how much light and heat that little bit of foam board will keep out.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We also live full time in our Apartment (Monty), and when the sun comes up it shines right in our little bedroom windows, specificslly mine. The day night shades are awesome! I hhave to open the shade to tell whether it's day or night outside. LOVE "EM!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Before our trip to Alaska, we prepared for the short nights by covering foam board with a decorative contact paper and applying it to the frame of the door window with velcro. It has stayed in place for almost a year. We have reflective bubble wrap in our skylight and a fluffy, thick vent 'pillow' that we bought at Camping World to stuff in the opening for the bedroom vent opening. I plan to add liners behind the day/night shades and attach them with velcro to the window frame so we can put them up and down at will. Some of us like to sleep late in the dark.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I find more light comes through the skylight over the shower, than through the windows.
bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We have the Mountaineer bunk house and other than a very small amount of light that comes in around the edges the room is very dark with the door closed (some light also comes in under the door).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
Thanks for the feedback and ideas!!

Only two weeks til delivery!!
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:13 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
John, they'll be some of the longest weeks of your life. Waiting for a new Monty is very exciting.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:44 AM   #18
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Truly, We have found that the day/night shades do a fine job. The night shades keep the 5er nice and dark in the morning. We only use the day shade when we have another camper near to us so they obstruct the view in through the kitchen and sofa windows, but we let the rest up to allow sunlight inside.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote