Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
compact appliances

Here's a website I found that offers a myriad of different compact appliances. Thought some of you might be interested, We're looking at a small freezer for the w/d closet.

http://www.compactappliance.com/index.jsp

The stuff looks pretty decent and some of the brands I am aware of.
Rick

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be looking to put a small freezer or fridge in the washer dryer closet in the 3400..any suggestions on that????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
We have been looking too. Finally decided on this;
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...0&cat=Freezers
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
That's funny, that's the same one I just looked up. This particular model freezer is made by I believe Gibson or Whirlpool, Can't remember for sure. It is a good one and will last some time. It's also the right height, width etc for our needs. Has low electrical usage, 325 watts per year.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

We have been looking too. Finally decided on this;
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...0&cat=Freezers
Thanks for the link..We buy all our stuff at Sears..Would you suggest a freezer of fridge..Plan to use it when wintering or at one place for a long time....A month or more.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks Rick a very good link.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Phyllis and I are going to go for the freezer, the reefer section of the Dometic is good enough for our needs, but if you put a few ice trays and 1/2 gal ice cream in the freezer section, your done for!
I have to have my ice cream and my libations (iced tea of course).
Old 01-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I just finished ordering one at Sears. As we were discussing this, Sears sent me an e-mail on an additional sale. It cost me $170.09 tax included with in store pick up.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We will be looking to put a small freezer or fridge in the washer dryer closet in the 3400..any suggestions on that????
I bought one of those protable ice makers.The spot I wanted to place it was the w/d closet.But in in their and secured it on top of the w/d.i thought wow great place for this ice maker.Turned it on and quite a time later still no ice was made.Moved it to another spot near the kitchen and it worked perfectly.My guess is in the w/d closet it wasn`t getting enough air or was to hot to work.i`am just wondering if a frezzer would be the same????
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I wondered about that also..however our home fridge with a large freezer is recessed in the wall in our kitchen with no problem. Does anyone have a freezer in the W/D closet and does it work??? and we had the Dometic in our Terry TT and it kept Ice cubes solid and Ice cream hard as a rock..in fact we kept it set at 3 not 5...What's up with that???
Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, the freezers that are electric are a closed system, if you look on the back of the one from sears when you get it whould be abslutely smooth. They are very quiet and very efficient.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen says freezer so freezer it is..thanks for the info..another issue taken care of..3,000 heads ARE better than one.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I have started looking for a portable ice maker such as Harleyrider mentioned. Home Depot has a Magic Chef brand, top opening @ $179.00.
I was hoping to find one that opened from the front rather than the top. Does anyone have information on one which opens from the front?

I checked the site mentioned earlier and they also have the top opening.
Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Freezer is here, now I have to figure out how to anchor it. I may just run a couple screws through the base of the freezer into the floor if I can find out what's under that section.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will get the same freezer.Was at sears and saw one today..Will wait till we actually have the camper before we buy.I would think that it would be heavy enough that you would not have to bolt it to the floor.Keep us advised on what you do.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #16
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Bought our last two 5 cf upright (front door) freezers from Sears. They have been great and fit in our W/D closet just fine. Did cut a vent hole and put a computer "muffin" fan in front of it to suck out the heat.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:10 AM   #17
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
Sweetfire, did you have any problem fitting the freezer into your w/d closet? We are planning on buying this freezer also, but wondered how it fit. We have the same camper that you have so if yours fits, so should ours.
Thanks for doing our shopping for us!!!!

Jim and Marcia
Jim and Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #18
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
The closet door opening was a little less than an inch too narrow from allowing the freezer to just slide in the closet. I took the three hinge pins off the middle of the bi-fold doors, removed the end section of door, and it slid right in without any problems. It took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. The bi-fold doors close without any interference. When the bi-folds are open, and the freezer is positioned all the way to the left side of the closet, the freezer door will only open about 75% before it contacts the folded door. This is a little annoying but more than enough for access to the freezer.

Our closet has a ceiling vent in it and there is a gap at the bottom of the door so I don’t think there will be a problem with heat building up, if there is, a small passive vent in the bottom of the bi-fold should produce enough airflow.

Because the interference between the freezer door and the bi-fold is a little annoying and because there is all that wasted space above the freezer I’m now planning to put shelving in the closet starting just above the 110 AC outlets. The other option is to put a closet rod in and make it a closet for jackets and such. Either way I can then cut the bi-fold door and refasten the bottom of the door to the bottom shelf. That is if the bi-fold is not completely hollow and there is enough wood to re-attach the bottom hinge. If not I’ll have to modify it to work or have a new door made that will fit. This would eliminate any door interference or heat problems.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #19
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Sweetfire: I suspect that the bi-fold door is completely hollow, possibly with a latticework of cardboard stiffening the door panels. At least that is what I have seen in hollow-core doors in the past.

One approach that you might want to consider is converting the bi-fold door to two conventionally-hinged doors. We did that, based on advice from other Montana owners on this forum. It was an easy conversion; the appearance of the doors is relatively unchanged, but it allows much easier access to the stackable washer-dryer that we have in that closet. I suspect that it might also enhance access to your freezer.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The doors are like Harmon has said.I cut a hole in the sliding door for our cat to have escape mood from our lab.and I couldn`t believe seeing card board in their.I framed out the little cat hole.Luke(our dog)likes to take his naps on the bed.we usually keep the sliding door closed.and we know when Luke wants to join us because you`ll see his snout sticking out the cat hole.I need to take a picture of that its so cute.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote