Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Help-Tow 30 Ft TT w/Expedition

A customer of mine just got into a terrible accident on the X-Way with a 2002 Expedition and a 30 foot travel trailer. I have been googling and cannot find any spec's on recommendations to suit this vehicle. I of course heard 30 foot and was like wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to long for the wheel base. She lost control of the vehicle and the trailer is in a million pieces, but I would like to show her (also a friend) that this was NOT the right combination.

Any one have any links where I can find it?

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Compatibility of the TT weight and tongue weight [10% of trailor weight] to the tow vehicle payload and GCWR are probably a more appropriate criteria than length. If you can get those, you can probably get/make a better recommendation.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sue
Any one have any links where I can find it?
Undersized? Maybe not.

For the current specs http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/exp...eatures/specs/
Standard Trailer Capacity
Engine Axle Ratio Max. GCWR Max. Trailer Weight (prop. equipped)
5.4L V8 (4x2) 3.31 11,800 6,000 lbs.
5.4L V8 (4x4) 3.73 11,900 6,000 lbs.
Optional Heavy- Duty Trailer Tow Capacity
Engine Axle Ratio Max. GCWR Max. Trailer Weight (prop. equipped)
5.4L V8 (4x2) 3.73 14,500 8,900 lbs.
5.4L V8 (4x4) 3.73 14,500 8,600 lbs.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Sue,

Hate to hear these stories. Sure hope everyone is OK.

It's quite possible that it had nothing to do with the TT or the TV. The big factor here is did She have the proper set-up? A heck of a lot of people towing TT's haven't done their home work when it comes to getting it right.

What kind of hitch was being used? If an equilizer, what weight rating on the bars? What type of sway control? Was the break controler set up correctly? Was the TT and the TV all level when towing?

Way too many Folks don't take the time to learn this stuff. Measurements should be taken at all the wheel wells of the TV before hook-up and this measurement is to be maintained as close as possible after hook-up. The Bars, the TT and the TV should all be level when towing.

TT's can and are very safe and stabile if the proper knowledge is attained and applied.

happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I agree with Steve and the others that the length alone may not have been the issue. Having towed a TT for a while before we got our Monty, and having rolled a truck and TT, Steve's points about set-up is right on the money. It could have a lot more to do with balance and weight distribution than with length. I also subscribe to the theory that you really shouldn't tow more than 80% of your towing capacity. Manufacturers base the capacity on not exceeding certain performance levels, including: acceleration, braking, handling, etc. If you tow less than capacity, you've got "room to spare" so to speak. It's never a good idea to tow at capcity (IMHO).

I hope everyone was OK, and did like we did, within 2 weeks of our accident, we found a replacement trailer and truck and I started towing again. It took a little while before I was completely confident again, but it was worth it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote