Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #21
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
JUST A COUPLE COMMENTS ON WHAT WAS SAID ABOVE.

FUEL PRICES: We are spending a couple weeks at our Daughter's 5 acre ranch near Newalla, OK.

I note there is a station selling diesel fuel for $1.75+9/10 along the Newalla Road about 4 or 5 miles North of I-40 at exit 172 approx.
There is an exit sign labeled Newalla Road.

Best price from here North 800 miles along us 81 and I-135 and I-35 at this time. We will leave here with full tanks for sure in another 10 days Az bound.
--------------------------------------
Price continued to drop to $1.68.9 at this Citco Station before we left OC. area.
--------------------------------------

BAD ROAD: Last time we drove on Louisiana I-10, now almost 2 years ago. It was our maiden Montana voyage and we were having Ne
wbie Nervousness, a leaky window or two and some electronic truck problems so I was probably not in the best humor as I commented on
the "The Worst Interstate Highay in The Country"
In fact it is just a heavily traveled highway with no close alternative routes and it has reached the end of its economical life cycle. I suspect that it is now in the reconstruction and resurfacing phase which can go on for 5 years or forever depending on financing available highway use etc., Driving on Bandaids forever is not something to look forward to gladly. But even with enough funds for a reasonable construction schedule some inconvenience is bound to happen. As we endure the trip through that area we can comfort ourselves by imagining the letters those highway managers must be getting from the other Highway Users.

Drive careful.

Now I will go read the Escappes
forum.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Pat, I should have noticed the period. That's a well-organized site. Thanks for the url.

On I-10, it's been a couple of years since we drove that stretch, too, but I recall that highway in the western half of LA was the worst interstate highway we've ever been on. Even worse than I-70 in Missouri. Maybe it's been fixed by now?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Guys,
According to Mark Nemeth who is with the Escapees organization.... There is still major bad road as well as major construction! Does not sound good. I think I'd find an alternate route.....

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:29 AM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Jim and Freddie,
And Lobo too! I thought you folks had gone south to get out of the cold! I've been watching the wx channel and looks to me like you're right in the middle of some of the coldest weather in the country! How do you manage that? Just great planning I'm sure.

Jim, from what I've read, the I-10 across LA is about the worst section in the entire country. Maybe you read the post Mark Nemeth made regarding it on the Escapees board. I guess part of the problem is finding an alternative route. I think LA needs your expertise down there to help them fix things. Why don't you offer your services as a consultant! Help us all out by getting those things fixed.

Hope all is going well with the new tranny. Also did you get the furnace fixed? I sure hope so with all the cold weather you're finding. What was the problem... a bad control board?

See you folks later. Keep enjoying your "homeless" status. All too soon you'll be back in a stick house once again.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:05 AM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Maybe we should start another thread, but it seems revelant here, so I will ask: exactly what section of I-10 is the worst? Is it East or West of Lafayette, LA? Is is in the New Orleans area? I ask because we often take I-49 to Lafayette then I-10 to Baton Rouge where we pick up I-12 (which bypasses New Orleans to the North). I-12 hs been recently resurfaced and seems to be in pretty good condition. As to alternate routes across Louisiana, that all depends on where you are coming from (and where you are going to). I'll be glad to provide information based on my experience to anyone who might be interested. I live about an hour West of Shreveport and have been transversing Louisiana over the past 50 years.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:51 AM   #26
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We came out of Texas into lA. On I 10 and the road was bad all the way to I 12. It was only on this part of the interstate that my pantry doors came open and I got gro. all over the floor. It also bounced some of the things I had on the bed onto the floor. Texas was bad in places but not that bad.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote