Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Larry, got good news for you, you can hunt, fish, camp, and ride a motorcycle. I know.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We enjoyed the bikes. Did a lot of dirt biking. Riding in Northern Ohio was limited to a very few months out of the year. As a young person we did a cross country trip with fellow bikers and had a great time. However with age comes a loss of reflexes and there came a time when I felt I was no longer "as good as I was and the bike was parked then sold. I hang on to the dirt bike although I know I will never ride it again. It sits under a tarp in the shed and I keep telling myself that I will restore it one day. Only lost some skin and dislocated a shoulder in all my riding days. My first "bike " was Schwinn motor bike way back in the early 50's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #23
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I started with a 125 Honda in 68 and have progressed up the line. Have owned almost every kind and make of bike. Now I have 2 Honda dirt bikes, a 605 CCM dual sport and a Buell XB12X.
Ride almost every day.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have a 2000 Ultra Classic that we ride year round, we take it to Florida in the winter too.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #25
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I have noticed another thing. I don't enjoy riding in strong wind like I used to. I used to kind of enjoy having to lean the bike to stay upright. Not so much anymore. The good thing is my old technics are coming back to me and I'm getting a lot more comfortable riding again. I just wish my butt would remember how much fun it was. I seem to remember bike seats being more comfortable. After about 2 hours, my butt really needs a rest. I guess I just need to realize that in my younger days I didn't mash the foam in the seat down so much.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #26
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
We ride a 2011 Ultra and are going to be joining you fulltimers soon! Maybe our paths will cross or we can all meet somewhere at a rally and go for a ride for a charity sometime! Whatya think?
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:38 AM   #27
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Quote:
quote: I seem to remember bike seats being more comfortable. After about 2 hours, my butt really needs a rest. I guess I just need to realize that in my younger days I didn't mash the foam in the seat down so much.
I like to think they are making seats cheaper these days lol lol lol....Had to go and buy one of the those expensive Air Zeppelin seats, but worth every penny to my butt.....lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #28
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

We ride a 2011 Ultra and are going to be joining you fulltimers soon! Maybe our paths will cross or we can all meet somewhere at a rally and go for a ride for a charity sometime! Whatya think?
Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

I like to think they are making seats cheaper these days lol lol lol....Had to go and buy one of the those expensive Air Zeppelin seats, but worth every penny to my butt.....lol lol lol
WOW, I guess you do love your butt. I don't know if I could justify spending almost $1000 on a bike seat, but you never know. I've done worse things. I might have to settle for one of the seat pads for now.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #29
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I did try one of those gel pads they sell at Walmart and it did help. But I found an air seat on line the guy only used for a month or two that was just like new for $600 which is a little better then spending the $1000 for a brand new one. But believe me it is worth every penny. The problem with them is short people can't use them, it sits you up higher in the air. On most Harley dressers short people got problems anyways lol lol.... That's why you can find them on line for sale second hand at times.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #30
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I may have to try something cheaper at first cause I sure don't need the seat on my Wing any higher. I can just barely stand flat footed now and with no reverse I catch myself on my tiptoes to back up sometimes. I'll swear, I used to be 2" to 3" taller when I was younger.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #31
nevlarry
Established Member

M.O.C. #14004
I rode 250 cc bikes in my 20's. Always wanted a Triumph but got caught up in raising kids and paying for houses. 8 years ago my wife and I bought Vespa scooters, her's a 150cc & me 250 cc. We enjoy them a lot. Last year I finally bought my Triumph, a 2010 866cc Bonneville. Same story, dropped it first time out in a slow turn because I couldn't hold up the weight. Riding has come back to me now and I love riding the Bonneville in the Lake Meade wilderness area. We'll always have the Vespas because it's something wife and I enjoy together. Next step is to figure out what bike to haul on the back of the RV.
nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #32
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
As you can see from our signature picture double towing is no big deal to us so I went to Lowes and bought a 5'x10' trailer with a ramp and we'll pull it behind the Monty. The boat may suffer for a while, but my Dr. says I need to stop being bounced around on the water anyway, (degenerative disk disease in my neck and back). Seems like every time I come off the water, I have a severe migraine. May have to sell the boat to justify buying the bike anyways.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I used to ride a Harley Sportster 1200, the one with the little peanut tank! I drove that thing all over the place and I LOVED HER SO MUCH! I took her on road trips from Chula Vista, CA to Reno, Las Vegas, Laughlin, Route 66, etc! It was so much fun! I rode in parades, was on TV as a female Harley Davidson rider who happened to be a Day Care Supervisor and pregnant at the time! I was the only gal who showed up to the TV show riding my own motorcycle. All of the other gals had their husbands drive them there or trailer their bike for them and then unload it. I was also the only one who had driven with a passenger so I took the host of the show on the back of my bike! I sold my Harley when I had the baby since I was already working full-time just to make ends meet. I had to have my dad handle the final transaction because I was going to cry!

I miss it but I am not sure I would get back on one now. I also had a Honda 250cc scooter in college and one time a CHP officer pulled me over because I was doing 70 on it on the freeway and he couldn't believe that a scooter could go that fast. Yes I was young and stupid! I had a lot of fun on both and LOTS of fantastic memories!

Enjoy it!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 AM   #34
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Yea Carol! The 'good old days' sure were a lot of fun. I think riding motorcycles is what I miss about my younger years the most. Too bad we hadn't known each other back then.
Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #35
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Upgraded from a 1976 Honda 750 to an 1982 Honda Gold Wing. I bought the Gold Wing stock. No nothing on it. I put on the goodies. Vetter faring/lowers, saddle bags, stereo, floor boards and a lot of other goodies. If it was not raining, I was riding. Loved it. Did a lot of camp riding with it. Sleep bag, sleep pad and small tent on the back seat and away I would ride. My favorite was cruising on the freeway at 65, a Harley pulls up along side, I would just roll that throttle back and say "See Ya".
Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #36
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Greg, that's because the Harley riders have had safe rider courses and ride that way. And that's my favorite!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #37
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Naaah, I think it's just we're more laid back lol lol tried a Goldwing once and the only riding position I could use was sitting straight up like I was at the dinner table. Went back to my Harley so I could slouch and stretch out lol lol