Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
BasinBeaver
Established Member

M.O.C. #13015
Questions About Ordering

Just joined the Forum and have read many of the threads concerning different topics such as tire, frame flex, and axel problems. We currently own a 2003 Montana 2955RL and are considering ordering either a 3700 or 3800 2013 model. Several questions we have concerning our order and which model to chose.

It looks like the only difference in the 3700 and 3800 models is where the entertainment center, recliners and sofa are located. Our question is which arrangement is easier to view the tv from? It appears in either case you have to turn your neck in the recliners to view the tv. Has anyone found a way to turn the popup big screen once it has extended from the cabinet?

We have looked at both the upgraded Montana and the Big Sky models. We really don't need or want the upgraded Big Sky paint job. We will order the highest rated tire and suspension options. Is the radius shower that much better than the standard shower?

There has also been discussion about the self leveling system, which we are definitly ordering. Having some experience with Lippert (bad) in the hydralic system in our current rig, how common are problems with the self leveling system?

Any other considerations for us in helping with our decisions?

Thank you so much for your replies.

BasinBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
ED,
I have a 2011 Big Sky 3580RL. The TV,recliners and sofa are located just like the 3700. I have no problem watching TV from either recliner as they also swivel so you do not have to turn your neck to watch TV. When I bought my RV I wanted the Lippert 6 point leveling system and the heavy G rated tires. I did not really want the paint or different shower but to get the tires and leveling system I had to take the package. I will say after I got the RV I really like the full body paint and the shower is ok. I thought in the 2012 or 2013 models you could order the extras seperate and did not have to take the Big Sky package.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Welcome to the forum. The reason that we bought the 3800 was when my wife was in the kitchen preparing meals and wanted to watch something on the tube, she could see it. The 6 point leveling is a must for sure, even thought we have had some issues with it, I think some times it is self inflicted other than that we love it. The standard shower has alot of room in it for us so very pleased with that. We could not get the G rated tires upon order, so upgraded them after purchase and we went with the Geostar 574 and so far so good and a cost savings of about $100.00 per tire less than the GY. Hope this helps in your decision on ordering, Happy Campin............Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Just a thought about what RV to buy. One of the features the wife and me realy like about our 3580RL Big Sky is the fact that when the slides are closed you can still get to the refrigerator, shower, toilet, bed and bedroom TV. That realy comes in handy when traveling and you want to stop along the way along the road for lunch or a potty break and if you want to stop for the night and use the bed. Just a thought,

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can't help you with your model choice although we would agree with Frank as our model allows that also. On the level up system, considering how many of us have it, the problems are few and far between.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Our 3455 is set up in the living room like the 3700. We are recliner people and I also find it difficult to look at television from an angle. When we are not moving each day we switch the sofa bed and recliner positions so we look direct on the tv from the recliners.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The recliners are couch are easily swapped in a 3700 which enables direct on TV viewing. In a 3800 your only option is to move the recliners out into the living area in order to get a direct line to the TV. This tends to clutter the living space.

One feature of the Big Sky Package which most folks don't realize (and isn't advertised) is the metal cover over the awing when it is retracted. It is not separately orderable nor is the radius shower (noticeably less confining to me).

Ordering the Big Sky Package (with paint and the other extras) is the cheapest way (after getting 30-33% off MSRP) to go compared to buying the pieces parts individually.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Hi, just thought I'd offer my 2 cents worth. We purchased a 358rlt Mountaineer 2013 in August. The living area is just like the 3582 rlt in the Montana. We just love our floor plan and we swapped the couch to the back and chairs on the side. Still room for a nice end table next to couch. We liked watching tv from recliners straight on or reclining on the couch facing tv. We also preferred having the frig where we could get to it at any time. We also like having the island open so if we both wanted to be behind it we could get out without one of us moving out if the way. Several of our friends that got the connected island have since gotten a different floor plan. Any way, I love the couch in the back and having 2 big slides across from each other. We also preferred the bathroom in the Mountaineer as my husband is tall and we seem to have more room with the combined bath. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure you will enjoy which ever floor plan you get. We looked for over 2 years at floor plans and are not disappointed in this one at all. Entertained 8 people recently and had plenty of room. We stay in ours for a couple of months or more at a time and love all the room. Good luck and good travels.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote