Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Montana_1949
Established Member

M.O.C. #1949
Montana vs. Mountaineer

As our reasearch continues we are wondering about the differences in the Momtana version and the Mountaineer. Is it quality of materials, strandard features , structural ? Is the price range the same? We have read the brocures and cant really pick out anything that really pops out, only the weights, 2980RL Monty vs 32RLS Mountain.

We too have been confused by the length issue. Weight and length are both serious issues as far as manuverability, towability, not to mention RV park limits etc.. Why all the scetchy information from the manufacturers?

Thanks for any replys,

B-Z Riders
00, Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton

Montana_1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I think but not sure that the Montana has more cosmetics on them. Other than that I don't know the difference.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Mountaineers are made in a different plant. There are some real differences, but I can't list them all. Some are structural, and some are more cosmetic. I think you can count on there being reasons for the price difference, although they may not all be apparent to the casual observer. A good dealer should be able to explain it for you. Maybe some members here have had both and can elaborate. You could try a private message to "Dianancolin", I know they had a Mountaineer before they purchased their new Montana.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
We have a Mountaineer and are totally happy with it. Our dealer told us that the difference is in the "fluff". It's plenty fluffy for me! We have a step up at the bed that I don't think the Montana has, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I love ours! In looking at the brocures, the structure looks the same. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MEinMO

We have a Mountaineer and are totally happy with it. Our dealer told us that the difference is in the "fluff". It's plenty fluffy for me! We have a step up at the bed that I don't think the Montana has, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I love ours! In looking at the brocures, the structure looks the same. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Our dealer told us the same thing and showed us both. The Montana he should us was nicer than my house and I would never want to take it to the woods. The Mountaineer had less fluff and at least to my wife and I felt less flashy but was just what we were looking for. As for structure we were most interested in getting away from wood framed units, both the Montana and Mountaineer are alumium framed. The dealer told us basically they are pretty much the same structurally but there are a few differences (upgrades) you just dont see them. The Montanas we looked at were absolutly beautiful but, we take our 327RKS to our farm and have the kids, family and grand kids in and out all day long. The Montana was just a little to upscale for what we wanted. But for those looking for a beatiful rig and are not worried about the kids in and out all day go for the Montana they are just beatiful inside.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:31 AM   #6
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
We nearly bought a Mountaineer and I'm sure we'd have been completely happy with it. Some of the differences include slightly larger windows, slightly thicker compartment doors, and a fiberglass rear cap on the Montanas.

The 2004 brochure states that the two units are built in the same plant (unless I misread it, or it changed for 2005) and there are many similarities between the two models.

We ended up with the Montana 2980 because we were offered what we thought was an excellent deal on it. It also had the floorplan that my wife has been drooling over since she first saw one a couple of years ago.

They are both nice units IMHO.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Our Mountaineer is our first 5ver. We've had it out 5 times and just love it. We are taking it south for 5 months in late Nov. We chose our model for the layout and the construction and figure we got a pretty good bang for our bucks when comparing it to the higher priced Montanas.

There are differences..in the Montanas the outside coating and end caps are higher quality. The carpeting is listed by Keystone as better quality. The countertops are higher grade. The baggage doors are insulated. The air ducts are rectangular and carry more air. There are other differences but not enough to make me forget the similarities: same all aluminum frame, insulation, enclosed underbelly with heated holding tanks, large fridge, 10 gal. water heater, 15,000 BTU AC, 16" wheels, extended pin box. There are more, but essentially the Mountaineer is a lower priced model that, by adding the available options, comes pretty close to a Montana.

The biggest problem in studying models at a show or in a brochure is realizing what is NOT there. For example, I don't believe you can get a washer/dryer or even a washer/dryer prepped area in a Mountaineer. The Mountaineer brochure says nothing and the salesmen won't volunteer the info unless you ask. We made the rounds to shows and dealers, read this forum, and then made up our want list. Then we went back to the shows and dealers 6 months later. We found we saw the models with different eyes.

As for weights the primary concern is the pin weight. Your problem here is the brochure figures are always lower than actual. When you are getting serious about a unit come back here with the brochure weights and ask for owners of the model to help you with their real world numbers.

Good luck

BusyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We purchased a "previously loved" 2000 Mountaineer - it's a travel trailer rather than a 5er. My research back then revealed that Mountaineer was the name for the TT line. Ours says "Mountaineer by Montana" but has the large Montana Decals. Shortly after our purchase a new facility was built for the Mountaineer line. I suppose than line simply grew to include 5ers since the demand is switching over.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote