Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
power tool dilemma

Just two days to first shakedown cruise. Been trying to load it up. We are loading as if we were fulltiming. There is no possibility of taking all my tools because I have too many. I have come close to deciding on the hand tools, but could use suggestions on the power tools like a circle saw, power drill, and dremel tool. I know the sanders, routers, and compressor can't go, and are probably not needed. But years of "do-it-yourself" habits make it confusing.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I kept the power drill and dremel. Have used the drill a few times in 18 months and the dremel once or twice. I didn't keep a sabre saw and had to go out and buy another. I also bought a small compressor but mainly just for keeping tires properly inflated.

The others you might need if you decide to build some furniture or make other major changes. For me I'd take those if I had room, store them if not. If stored I could always stop and pick them up when we pass through the area.

Tough decision. Probably different for different people. Good luck with it. We found after a little over a year when we visited our kids we offloaded some things we hadn't used at all.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I have an 18 volt drill that has a accessory kit. Chuck pops off, a chop saw goes on... great for firewood, also a grinder... will cut or sharpen anything, a sander, small triangular type, and a power wood chisel, no use at all so far.

Plus we have the usual screw drivers etc. Works great, use it all the time. Really speeds up dropping the stabilizers.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I use an 18V drill EVERY time we go out - to run the stabilizers down and up. That's the only power tool I carry. If I were fulltiming, I'd probably take the 18V "el cheapo" tool kit from Harbor freight - drill, circular saw, saber saw, flashlight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90374

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45803

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
If packing like fulltiming, just tell the wife her stuff has to go. (I know it doesn't work for me either). I bring the 18v drill & flash light kit with charger. Misc hand tools in the truck. 12v battery jumper & compressor combo.

Good Luck
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I carry a cordless drill for the screwdriver and drilling aspects as well as running the stabilizers up and down. A dremel tool, a 7 1/4" circular saw, a jig saw, a reciprocating saw (actually gave this one to my son-in-law but when he tried to sell it for $10 at a yard sale I took it back), a battery charger and a small air compressor.
Even have a trolling motor for those times that I may rent a small row boat.

A guy just can't give up all his toys.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
In addition to a drill and compressor I carry a Hand saw(wood) and a Hack saw both have come in handy and easy to store. I would also recommend a battery charger.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a drill, hand saw, compressor and dremel (we use the dremel on the model railroad N -scale) as well as the usual hand tools. We have found that for larger sawing jobs, Home Depot will cut the wood you buy from them to length for you. One of the best tools is the screw driver that has 15 different ends including these crazy square holed screws used in all RVs. I also have a small glue gun and a stapler (non-electric). I stapled velco to the valance to hang my computer speakers.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Am I to gather that you have an N scale train set in your Montana? I am hoping to bring my RC planes with me when I get to travel for longer periods of time.[:-)]
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Yes we do. Very small but it fits under the bed when not being used. We have it on a take down stand in the living room. It is about 2'x3' and gives us some enjoyment since we miss our HO. Has two tracks (oval) Engines and cars store in the dining room charis. We both enjoy trains (big and little). Ed runs the trains, does the electric, tracks, etc. And I build the little houses and buildings. It is a lot of fun and can be put away without much trouble. Just goes to show you, you can do anything you want in these units. We will take pictures when we are totally done with it. Model trains are always a work in progress.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #11
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
That sounds fantastic. I'd love to see some photos. I haven't had trains in years but might get back to them when I retire. Building the scenery would be my facination too. I'd always know I could make it just a bit more real.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Snowbunny
Looking real is a challenge but there are so many new and better things now. If you haven't looked in a while, go check out a hobby store. Neat thing also is now we have the web to buy things on. It is amazing how putting together a house or a car can take your mind off everything for hours. We like riding trains also and that will be our main attraction when we start traveling. Trying to ride on all the trains still running.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:15 AM   #13
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I go loaded for bear tool wise. Among other things I take a cordless drill, cordless circular saw, an assortment of handtools, rivet tool, dremel tool, socket set, electrical tools/supplies. etc., etc.,.

I volunteer at a Florida State Park and use most of my own hand tools while doing carpentry type work for them. My in-laws, who we also visit during or Florida stay, always have a number of items that need work too.

Of course my wife thinks I over do it tool wise, but it seems that I always use most everything I take at some point in our trip. I just really hate having to do a job without the proper tool LOL.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote