Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Rubber Roofs

What is the reasoning for having rubber roofs verses a solid roof on RV's. Weight, cost. All the above....

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Some units have a 1 piece fiberglass roof. I don't care for that because id the flexing that goes on while driving along with the expansion/contraction cycles that take place everyday. The rubber is more flexible, easier to repair, and easier to maintain. I would think the fiberglass needs waxing just like the sides. Who wants to wax the roof? Not me. Rubber has to be cheaper and easier to install. The tolerances and dimensions are flexible. Probably less skilled labor to install also.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:28 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I agree with the rubber roofing, due to the expansion and contraction.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:20 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My guess is that so it puts black streaks down the side so we can buy all the black streak removal products. Actually I do not have a clue to answer your question.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I agree with you DHenry. I know that some of the real expensive models like Mobile Suites have a solid roof of some material, not rubber.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
While on the subject of rubber roofs, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove tree sap from the rubber roof and the slide out roofs? I have tried "Rubber Roof Cleaner" and you can rub for ever and not take the sap mark off. Any and all comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I was going to suggest using "Goo-Gone" but I checked their website first and they recommend NOT to use it on rubber.

Thetford has a Rubber Roof Cleaner that claims to be the best at removing tree sap. We've never used it but here's a link to their products:
http://www.thetford.com/rvcare_products.cfm#rubber

Good luck!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #8
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
D and M - Thanks for the info and the website address. I did go there and check it out. They have a product "premium rubber roof cleaner" and read what it clean. It clearly states that it will remove tree sap. I recently bought a bottle of this product and when I read this info on their website, I went and read the directions on the bottle and it does not mention tree sap at all. Funny isn't it. On the website it says it does, but on the product bottle, it doesn't. So much for advertisement, huh?
Thanks for trying to help anyways. I appreciate it.

Gary & Carole
Old 09-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cargary, I've given up trying to remove those stains. I scrub the part that rounds over the edge of the roof but have given up on the rest. I just give it a scrubbing occasionally and figure nobody is going to see the stains on top anyhow and if they do, fine with me. In other words, I've never figured it out either.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

While on the subject of rubber roofs, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove tree sap from the rubber roof and the slide out roofs?
Gary & Carole
Gary & Carole,

I don't know about the rubber roof, but when my husband gets tree sap on him after climbing trees, (used to bow hunt) he would remove the tree sap with plan ol' rubbing alcohol.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Just spent an afternoon cleaning the rubber roof - some tree stains and bird %$^# marks still there but mostly it looks almost white! What did I use - neat Dawn washing up liquid. Other than aching wrists from scrubbing it seems to do an OK job!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think Dawn is one of the things the roof mfr recommends. That's what I use, too.

I was up on the roof today and discovered it's suddenly dirtier than it has ever been. A few days ago we were in the Ivan residue, rain, etc. The tree we were under was also shedding leaves. The leaves in the rain caused a lot of dirt and stain on the roof. There are even a number of leaf "imprints" on the roof. In this park I cannot use the water to clean the roof like I'd like so just cleaned the edges for now. First good dew or rain and I'll have streaks again.

By the way, not just rubber roofs cause streaks. Our first FW had the tin roof and we got streaks from the caulking around the edges of that. I guess it's not something we can avoid altogether.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #13
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Sreigle:
Thanks for the feedback Steve. I recently went back to the dealership where I bought the FW at and they suggested the same products that I had already used but had one that I hadn't used yet and its called RV "do" made by Orange Products Corp of Greensboro, NC. It sold for $8.50 for a 32oz. botl. Pricey but it does work. I don't know if I want to continue using it though, as it doesn't say anything on its directions that it is safe for rubber roofs. I just used it on a small spot on the slideout roof that I plan on having the dealership replace because of a cut in it. It does say that it is safe for all acrylic's.

Montana Sky:
Yes, I think rubbing alcohol might do the job on rubber roofs too, but I believe it would have an adverse effect on the rubber itself and shorten its life. Just like the product I mentioned above, it works good, but no one will say its safe for rubber roofs.

Thanks again for the comments.

Gary & Carole
Old 09-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It has been suggested to me that you put a clothes pin on the corner of the roof edge where the air conditioner condensation runs off to pull the moisture away from running down the side and streaking. I am going to try it on my next trip.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
stiles watson, we use the clothespin 'trick' and it does work well. just be sure to put the pins on securely and you'll rarely lose one on the road. When I dislodge it slightly when washing the rig is when I end up losing one next time on the road. By the way, I picked up that trick in this forum. Hope it works out for you. Sure nice to not have those particular streaks to deal with.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks Steve, It's good to know thar every once-in-a-while folklore works.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote