Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Water Leak in rear, drivers side

You know that little angled box in the rear corner where the fresh water pipe fill is. The last 2 times its rained, I've noticed the floor is wet there. I've checked inside the fill door, and all looks good, I did loosen all the screws and caulked behind them. Caulk looks good around the door too. We had rain today, and I went out and its wet, I checked all the walls and windows in the corner and don't see or feel any water running down the walls. Climbed up on the roof and everything looks good and sealed up there too.

Anyone ever remove this little angled box? Is it screwed in, I cant feel any screws anywhere.

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, is that box on the inside? If it's what I remember our prior Montana had an angled box covered with carpet in that location, on the inside. I think there was a junction box for electrical wires in there. It's been a long time so I can't remember for sure. If yours is like that, I think there are screws where you can remove the box on the inside. Again, it's been a long time so I'm sorry I can't be more definite.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Steve,

Yes, its the angled box covered with carpet, but it looks like its for the fresh water fill pipe.

I'll look again for the screws tomorrow.

Thanks Steve.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
The angled box covers the water fill tube. I have no idea why it's getting wet though.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I did find the 2 screws that hold the angled box on, underneath is the 2 hoses, 1 for fresh water fill, the other for overflow.

I did notice that the fill hose is clamped onto the fill neck that fits in from the outside. This fill neck just turns clockwise and kind of locks in, but no seal.

So I caulked the outside, then twisted the fill neck into the caulk. Then I caulked from the inside around it too. Tightened up the clamp too.

I pulled up the carpet and placed a fan blowing into the corner to help dry it up.

Suppose to rain tomorrow, so we'll see if it leaks anymore.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Do you have windows nearby in that corner? Could there be a plugged drain in the bottom of the window allowing it to leak inside of your trailer? Water leaks can be hard to find.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Had the DW spray water around the fresh water fill door as I was looking inside, water started running into the camper at the bottom of the hole.

So, I removed the entire assembly, cleaned all the caulk off everything and re-installed it. Have to wait for the caulk to dry to see if its fixed.

As I was looking at it, the door, has 2 male studs that of course sit in the small openings, 1 on top, 1 on bottom. the bottom one, looks kind of big, I wonder if the water could be running inside there. With the bottom of the assembly caulked, the water would only have 1 place to go, IN!!!

You might want to check your carpet the next time it rains to see if you don't have a leak there too.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the tip, Tom. We have our couch across the back and some little tables between the couch and wall on each side so we might not notice wet carpet there. We are supposed to get rain this weekend so will check that.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you may have spotted the problem. If not, bigred715's suggestion would be worth checking out, too. In the bottom of the window frame are two weep holes to allow moisture to escape. I think it's intended for condensation to escape to the outside. I'm not sure how outside water could get in if those are plugged but it's something more to check.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find and/or if your fix took care of it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tom- Is your water line from the faucet or city hookup in your service center? Ours is an older unit and our city water is in the same area as the freshwater tank fill. I had to replace my whole unit including the door last year when mine sprung a leak! Come to find out it was one of the tubes connected to the fill unit. It had cracked and the clamp was not holding it tight enough and the water leaked into the sloping area and got the carpet wet. Had to check it three time before I actually found the leak! After replacing the whole unit and tightening up the clamp, no leak! As you I turned the fan loose on that corner to dry out the carpet and the wood there. Hope your idea solves your problem.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Went outside today and hit the fresh water fill door with the hose.

NO LEAKS!!!!

Be sure to check yours, its in such a small place that I would never have thought there would be a leak.

In our SOB, we had a leak or 2, so I have a habit of walking in the corners with just sock feet to feel for water when its raining. PARANOIA i guess.

Thanks for all your suggestions.