Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
headinsouth
Established Member

M.O.C. #11107
Moreryde system problem maybe?..

Just a question to see if I might have a problem. We took our new to us 2009 3665RE for the first camping trip this weekend. This thing tows like a dream. As big as it is I was expecting a much different feel I guess. Evereything was perfect until we got into the campground.. Once we were registered and heading towards the campsite, every turn I made, there were 3 loud pops in the axel area. left turn and right turn... The turns were a bit tight but it happened every turn even into the campsite.. after setting up I got under the unit and looked at everything.. I see nothing wrong.. everything was tight and nothing looked out of place. Yesterday as we were leaving, I had a friend listen to us when we pulled out of the campsite and there were 3 pops again.. as we got on the road I stopped and retorqued the wheel lug nuts again.. nothing loose! I drove to the end of the road and made a sweeping turn.. just 1 pop.. and then nothing until I got home and ready to turn into the driveway (tight turn again)...

I heard the same popping from another camper as he made a turn into the campground but couldn't tell if he had the Moreryde on his. Is this something to worry about or is it normal for the Moreryde??? Thanks for the help...

headinsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, I would re-examine the suspension, check the springs closely for cracks, something loose there. I saw a picture of a spring broke right in half, somewhere can't remember where.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Check the bolts/nuts on the spring clamps, folks have found those loose. Do check the spring hangers as a number of us have had those break in two and the spring has sat on the frame. Check the bolts in the spring hangers as well. You have a brand new Montana so a broken part does not sound like you find that, but a loose bolts/nut could be. Also, could the popping sound be coming from the hitch area? I have a pop there once in a while during a sharp turn. Good luck and enjoy your travels
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Did you notice if you were applying the brake when this was popping?
On some units the brake will make that noise everytime you touch the peddle.
Just another suggestion!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had that same sound you describe on the 08 2955 we owned. It would happen in tight turns and appeared to be intermittent. When it was new and the dealer pulled my truck around with it hooked up, it made that sound. I asked the dealer about it and they said that happened sometimes with the MorRyde suspension.
I think the more you use the unit you will notice it will happen less often.
It would be a good idea to check the torque on the ubolts and the bolts in the spring eyes. Also check and see if the stack of springs are together and aligned. If those bands on the springs are missing or shifted the springs can shift. Sometimes the springs will shift where there are no bands. This could also cause a popping sound.
Joe
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
headinsouth
Established Member

M.O.C. #11107
All good things to check and I will.. thanks guys.. I'll let you know if it continues..
headinsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Maybe i'm crazy, DW says yes,,,,, but i used to hear that bang in tight turns backing up. Never could figure out what was causing it.
After i had the Greasable Suspension Bolts in, it stopped.
I called the shop that puy them in and just ask if/maybe/could it questions.. The answer i got was, yup, cause the springs were frozen to the old bolts and when they would break free in tight back ups, then would slap the spring hangers.
Maybe crazy, but seemed strange that it stopped Banging after i had them put in. For what ever its worth.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote